Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

San Diego help....

The wife, my son, and myself are heading to San Diego for a long weekend in Feb. We've never been but since my kid is 3.5 we know we want to go to the zoo. I also heard Legoland is a must see? We also want to go to the beach. What other recommendations?

I also want either a VRBO home or hotel VERY close to the zoo and other activities. Is that possible? Will I need to rent a car? If I stay at a hotel close by is there a shuttle to the zoo. Are the zoo, legoland, beach anywhere close to each other?
    If I look at a VRBO, what neighborhood should I stay that is close to the attractions above and is a safe, nice, neighborhood?

What else?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

USS Midway is pretty cool if you're into history or big machines. Probably have 20 or so jets on display on and below deck. 3.5yo boys would like it.

San Diego help....

If he likes animals, take him to a donkey show in Tijuana

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    I also want either a VRBO home or hotel VERY close to the zoo and other activities. Is that possible? Will I need to rent a car? If I stay at a hotel close by is there a shuttle to the zoo. Are the zoo, legoland, beach anywhere close to each other?
    If I look at a VRBO, what neighborhood should I stay that is close to the attractions above and is a safe, nice, neighborhood? What else?
    The Zoo is on Park Blvd, surrounded by zip codes 92104, 92103 and maybe 92110. Yes, you will need a car, as Lego Land is 45 minutes north of the zoo. The beaches are about 15+ minutes from the zoo. Downtown is about 10 minutes by car. Balboa Park (across from the zoo) has a bunch of great museums. Your son may like the natural history and for sure the Aerospace museum. There is also Sea World which is about 15 minutes from the zoo by car and if you go up north about 45 minutes inland is the Wild Animal park. Take one of the get on and off buses from downtown over to Coronado and walk around town. Be sure to hit Coronado Brewing Company for some good pub grub and great beer. PM me with any questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Get to the zoo early when they drop the rope or you will regret it. Head straight for the Panda's. Skip the bus tour too.

Also consider the wild animal park. It is about 30 miles inland, but is part of the SD Zoo. More animals in more open habitat. Options of going on behind the scene tours and feeding rhinos, but it gets a little spendy, but kids love it. Some good museums in Balboa park, but probably not with little ones. Currently it is politically incorrect, but Sea World is always a hit with kids.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Condo at the beach with a rental car an easy drive to all the stuff? 1 beach area better/worse than another?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Also consider the wild animal park.
    They call it the Safari Park now, just for the record.

I haven't been, but I hear the Birch Aquarium at Scripps is great for kids. Also La Jolla is an absolute must in my opinion and a great chance for the kids to see actual marine life not swimming in giant tanks or pools.

We did two free nights at the Hyatt downtown with this offer. Better than the punch in the pants and it's a nice hotel. Kill the card once you've used it. You get the free nights as soon as you spend $1K so assuming you can put it into your rotation, you should be set before Feb?

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...yatt-card.aspx

IMO staying by the beach and renting a car is your best bet. It depends on what type of beach you are looking for. Coronado is mellow. Mission beach has a boardwalk and you can stay on the Ocean side or the bay side and walk to either but it is more crowded. Pacific beach is like your typical SoCal beach town and just north of Mission. La Jolla/Shores is bit more upscale. I can't imagine doing the zoo more than twice on a visit so I would definitely rent a car. Also traffic is fairly smooth compared to most cities outside of rush hour so you can get around better than most cities. Most of the attractions are spread out so where you stay isn't too critical.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Coronado is fake, as in man made. Went to play golf there a few times, and the angle out into their "bay" is nice, but really, everything is better north of there........Downtown San Diego is actually a cool city. Worth the walk, fine dinning and cappuccino.

Hotels suck there because the airport is RIGHT FUCKING THERE.....I would avoid staying anywhere near it.

Bed and Breakfast on the beach?

Be creative.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Coronado is fake, as in man made.
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that.

With a younger kid all the theme parks will be great and a car will be a good idea. I stayed near Balboa with my 11 YO and everything was within 20 minutes with the exception of Legoland(about 45 minutes). You can buy a Go SanDiego card that gets you into most of the parks, take a look and you might be able to save a few bucks. I think I bought mine through Costco. E-Z Car rental is the lowest price car rental BUT expect pretty shitty/slow service. Cars can be had for as low as $20 a day plus taxes and fees.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that.
    He is, but that is das cunt for ya. A lot of Coronado had to be filled in with soil from elsewhere, as it was low land marsh for the most part. It likely is one of the nicer beach town areas in San Diego and certainly the nicest and closest to what the OP is looking at.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Wild animal park for sure. Better than zoo. I would stay in mission bay so you can see pirate ships and navy seals beach and great Mexican in old town. Beaches are great and del mar or solana maybe
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Sneak off to TJ for the Lupita and her donkey show

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    He is, but that is das cunt for ya. A lot of Coronado had to be filled in with soil from elsewhere, as it was low land marsh for the most part. It likely is one of the nicer beach town areas in San Diego and certainly the nicest and closest to what the OP is looking at.
    "Beach Town" It is a full on tourist trap complete with SALT WATER TAFFEYYYYY!! Place is lame. Next you're going to say seaport village is a great little fishing village.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Sneak off to TJ for the Lupita and her donkey show

Un possible. Now-Lupita and her smelly mommy maker=Adelitas @ (roughly) $68 a POP. Tip your hotel profiteer on the way in to make sure Lupita isn't really Larry with a taped up johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Un possible. Now-Lupita and her smelly mommy maker=Adelitas @ (roughly) $68 a POP. Tip your hotel profiteer on the way in to make sure Lupita isn't really Larry with a taped up johnson.
    Old Larry hangs in TJ? Does it cost extra if he leaves his loafers on?

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I should have some free zoo passes that we get with our year memberships. We never use them up-- if I make it down (they are there I'm in OR) before you are there I'll hook you up.

"Beach Town" It is a full on tourist trap complete with SALT WATER TAFFEYYYYY!! Place is lame. Next you're going to say seaport village is a great little fishing village.
    Uhh Coronado is a rich beach neighborhood that happens to share the "island" (actually a sand spit) with a military base. Go to McP's and check out all the tourists!! Hotel Del is the only thing touristy about the place. Actually Id have to say its one of the less touristy places on the water in SD.

When I think tourist spot in SD Im thinking Mission Beach, Old Town, Gaslamp, Embarcadero, Balboa, the Zoo....

If you want offbeat Id recommend heading to Mission Trails Park and checking out the gorge and the oldest dam in the western US that was build by spanish missionaries in order to divert water for irrigation (using enslaved natives). Cowles (in Mission Trails) is also a great little hike. The lighthouses at Point Loma National monument are cool and the view alone makes it worth it. Gotta check out OB and the pier. Torrey Pines State park is also cool. Balboa is a must see.

Great food and if you like beer its one of the best places in the world!

ohh and id consider staying in mission valley. lot cheaper than downtown or the beach (still very close drive to either) and easy to get anywhere.

You really ought to rent a car.

Stay at the Best Western off Moonlight Beach in Encinitas. Rates oughta be good in February, and they have suites (with a kitchen and shit) available on the second floor. Coaster station across the street can take you south close to a lot of touristy stuff. Encinitas is 10 min. from Lego Land and is a k00l, mellow place to hang with lots of really nice food. WAP is about a 30 min drive from there. At low tide, you can walk along the shore for many miles in either direction. There are also Pizza Port locations to the south in Solana Beach (where we had a few Maggot gatherings) and one up north in Carlsbad (Carlsbad is especially kid-friendly).

The little town of Julian, a waaaaay up in the Laguna Mountains, is a sweet little getaway for window shopping and stuff, and there's a brewpub-BBQ joint here. Yum! The drive along Sunrise Hwy (S2...S1...whatever) is great, too. There are places (e.g., Penny Pines) where you're 10 feet or so from the PCT and you can do a little hikeypoo with the family. You could also let junior loose down one of the trails while you bang Mrs. Montanaskier behind a manzanita bush.

Forget about Tijuana- if you really want an authentic Mexican experience, go to Los Angeles instead.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

It is a tourist trap for the jongs that visit during peak tourist season. It is a nice beach town for the people that live here all year long. Although if I could get me wife to move, I would be living in downtown Encinitas yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    The lighthouses at Point Loma National monument are cool and the view alone makes it worth it.
    Also the tide pools at Point Loma are cool. Not sure a 3 1/2 year old is quite old enough to appreciate it, though.

And add me to the list that thinks Coronado is awesome. It's certainly less touristy than some other areas in SD.

Great info! Going to start looking for a VRBO today, I'll probably have more questions.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL