Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Get in a cab, go Downtown to the Gaslamp area. Walk around until your beer snobbishness is satisfied (Stone's Tap room is down there, eg.)

Pizza port, solana beach. Pilgrimage

Toronado has an SD bar. They usually have a great tap list: http://toronadosd.com/

San Diego help....

Swim at sunset at the marine room in La Jolla. And don't freak out once you get in the water.

And bodywhomp marine street or windansea.

Ziggy Marley's playing at the Belly Up.

San Diego help....

^^^got an extra ticket by chance? Thanks guys. Forgot Port was here even though I've been loving their beer for years. Me and San Diego = Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1477363685.984633.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  34.9 KB

San Diego help....

You can stumble from pizza port to belly up.

If you're in the downtown La Jolla village, I always enjoyed Don Carlos, the little taqueria next to dicks liquor.

Go to Bali Hai over on Shelter Island for evening cocktails and take in a Mai Tai (or two) and the view.

Their Mai Tai is 100% booze, no mix or juice or fillers. But amazing.

And if you're into tiki bars, go to Craft & Commerce, and get on the list for False Idol. Set up as a bit of a speakeasy (you have to go through a walk-in cooler to get inside), but awesome drinks and a sort of Pirates of the Caribbean vibe. Way cool. If you're into tiki.

San Diego help....

You guys rock. Ziggy sold out but got tix to Maceo tomorrow night. Pizza port and belly up on a work trip ain't bad. Ziggy would be the cherry on top tonight. Anyone????? Bueller???
    Last edited by Fritz; 10-24-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Yes it's laughable due to the location but Jeff's Burgers is my fave spot in La Jolla.

Google maps says it's in the back of the strip mall by the local ditchweed dealer. Si or no?

San Diego help....

Mission/pacific beach boardwalk is a great walk. Pacific beach alehouse a block south of Crystal pier has a great Cuban.

Ocean beach and the pier is cool to check out. Lots of dirtys though.. another pizza port in OB and a great chicken sandwich place.

There is a Phils bbq up that way. If you are down in Kingsinton (east of downtown) go to Ponce's for some great Mexican. El Indio is another must hit Mexican spot and is closer to downtown. Someone mentioned Tornado but I'd recommend The Blind Lady or Tiger! Tiger! well before. Even Panama 66 in Balboa Park. And honestly if you have not been to Balboa check it out. I love strolling thru that place.

San Diego help....

Excellent. Thanks for the tips Steep. Hit me up if you ever need some tips or otherwise in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Google maps says it's in the back of the strip mall by the local ditchweed dealer. Si or no?
    The Jeff's burgers I'm talking about is in La Jolla shores. But don't go there -> so many much better places around. I just hit it up when I have serious munchies when hanging out swimming and trying to surf at Scrips

If you like IPA's hit up O'briens on Convoy St for lunch. And if you have some self restraint, or an uber - go to Societe brewing after that.

Thanks. Been drinking Societe apprentice and pupil all night. I like it.

Steepconcrete already mentioned Ponce's. I don't know of better mex in the country. Get the enchiladas suizas and the margarita. Stone, decent. Societe, nice. I get horny when you start talking about Mike Hess. Holy fuck. Also, Carnitas Snack Shack. Thank me later.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd piggyback this one.

Heading to San Juan Capistrano for kids soccer in January, flying into Santa Ana (pre determined by soccer club). We will have a car, kids are early teens. We are considering extending the trip and heading to San Diego during the week before the tournament for 3 days. Looks to be a 2 HR drive.

Having never been to the area we are looking for some beach time and possibly the Zoo.

Coronado seems to fit the bill location wise with the beach and the zoo nearby. Am I missing another area that may fit the bill?

Trying to stay at a resort type place to make it feel like a semi vacation. Has anyone stayed at either the Coronado Beach Resort or the Lowes Coronado Bay Resort? Any opinions?

Beach Resort seems to be closer to more stuff and the Bay Resort seems like you are stuck there.

Any must hits on the way back up from San Diego to the Capistrano area? We will have all day Friday to take a leisurely ride up there.

Mission Beach and Pacific Beach both have the sort of accommodations you're looking for. Plus the kiddies would probably enjoy those areas more. Heading back north, go through Dana Point and into Laguna Beach.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd piggyback this one.

Heading to San Juan Capistrano for kids soccer in January, flying into Santa Ana (pre determined by soccer club). We will have a car, kids are early teens. We are considering extending the trip and heading to San Diego during the week before the tournament for 3 days. Looks to be a 2 HR drive.
    If you like Mexican food hit up El Campeon in San Juan Capistrano. Best Mexican in Socal IMO. It won't be a 2 hr drive unless traffic is horrible (can happen). Coronado is kind of a pain to get in and out of, but it is a nice town and you can take a tourist boat across to downtown.

The Hilton San diego Resort is right on Mission Bay and might be a good option. It's close to the beach and has good freeway access. The zoo is worth visiting. Also check out the USS Midway and Maritime Museum downtown if the kids are into history at all. Same with Cabrillo National Monument. Birch Aquarium in LaJolla is pretty cool too, nice location and not a big time committment. Skip Seaworld. All of the beach towns are pretty cool to walk around, and the drive up PCH is a nice one.

A couple other places to visit and eat at Hotel del Coronado and Seaport Village. Kind of touristy, but nice. Mission Beach for the more nitty-gritty, or you can just head on down to Tiajuana. Think I spelled that wrong but too lazy to fix.

Our kids enjoyed legoland. And it's pretty close to the Carlsbad pizza port

Thanks for the input. Figured I'd add some highlights of our trip to SD/Southern CA to this thread if it can help someone else.

We stayed in Mission Beach area, Bahia Resort right on the bay side. Fit the bill perfectly, resorty but not a place you feel you need to stay at all day. Cabanas on the beach, nice little bar. For the money this place was great. 2 bedroom suite overlooking the bay.

Highlights included renting SUPS and cruising around the bay for a day. We walked the beach every morning and the sunsets were sick at night.

Goods eats -
    La Playa Taco Shop on Mission, Insane carnitas. Not a place you would think about going in, but worth it.
    PB Ale House was good pub food.
    Woody's breakfast on the boardwalk was a great place to start the day.
    Draft on the boardwalk had some good beers.

Better Buzzed Coffee- fucking A this place had good coffee. They have a drink called Best Drink Ever, I think it may live up to the name. Espresso with Vanilla bean powder.

Did a half day in Coronado, meh, Coronado Brewery was the highlight. Not really worth the trip.

Headed up to Irvine for kids tournament on Friday. Detoured to Stones Brewery is Escondido, great lunch.

Stuck in Irvine for a few days doing stuff with the team. Irvine Spectrum Center restaurants for team dinners. Could have been worse.

Ended the trip with the wife and kids at Laguna Beach. Caught sunset at a place called Cliff Restaurant, food was OK, view was amazing.

actually renting the speed boats in Coronado at Glorietta Bay is a pretty good time.
    off your knees Louie