Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Rented a place on the beach in Mission Beach. That a good spot? Looks pretty sweet
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

It's good. The boardwalk won't be so crowded in Feb., and there's lot's of eats and places to drink tht are within walking distance. There used to be an amusement park somewhere there, probably still is. Sea World is very close, as is Balboa Park (with the zoo and other shit). Heading north from there, you can hit La Jolla. Seals have infested La Jolla cove, and your kid might get a kick out of watching them.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

MB is a nice mellow scene. If you're there, I would do the zoo vs wild animal park. It's a big drive and if you're only there for a weekend, stay closer to the beaches. Skip legoland, it's not that great, if I remember right all the rides were for older kids. Your 3.5 yr old prolly won't be able to do them and everyone will be bored soon. Do seaworld instead, it's closer to MB than the zoo is...

But, I would suggest just hanging out. Maybe drive over to ocean beach for a day. It's 10 mins from MB. Lots of little shops and restaurants but you'll get a feel for the locals more than an amusement park. Around dusk, drive outside of ocean beach to sunset cliff's. Better yet, go there at high tide and watch the show. Spend another day in la jolla cruising the little shops there...

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    It is a tourist trap for the jongs that visit during peak tourist season. It is a nice beach town for the people that live here all year long. Although if I could get me wife to move, I would be living in downtown Encinitas yesterday.
    Yea well since I have owned in encinitas/cardiff since 1997 I guess my Jong ass has yet to see coronado as a beach town. Coronado is a fucking military/tourist wanna be shit hole. Stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I should have some free zoo passes that we get with our year memberships. We never use them up-- if I make it down (they are there I'm in OR) before you are there I'll hook you up.

Uhh Coronado is a rich beach neighborhood that happens to share the "island" (actually a sand spit) with a military base. Go to McP's and check out all the tourists!! Hotel Del is the only thing touristy about the place. Actually Id have to say its one of the less touristy places on the water in SD.

When I think tourist spot in SD Im thinking Mission Beach, Old Town, Gaslamp, Embarcadero, Balboa, the Zoo....

If you want offbeat Id recommend heading to Mission Trails Park and checking out the gorge and the oldest dam in the western US that was build by spanish missionaries in order to divert water for irrigation (using enslaved natives). Cowles (in Mission Trails) is also a great little hike. The lighthouses at Point Loma National monument are cool and the view alone makes it worth it. Gotta check out OB and the pier. Torrey Pines State park is also cool. Balboa is a must see.

Great food and if you like beer its one of the best places in the world!
    Yea well, I'll take Del Mar,Cardiff By The Sea,Solana Beach,IB ( hohdads is fucking cooler than the entirety of Boreanado) Not to mention Bird Rock,Windensea, Encinitas,Luecadia and many other places within 20 minutes of that lame fake island.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Yea well, I'll take Del Mar,Cardiff By The Sea,Solana Beach,IB ( hohdads is fucking cooler than the entirety of Boreanado) Not to mention Bird Rock,Windensea, Encinitas,Luecadia and many other places within 20 minutes of that lame fake island.
    Yea I like those places also but they are further away. Is that still considered SD? I just mentioned Coronado in response to das cunt.

Mission Beach should be a good spot. Definitely rent a car. There's a great sea food place (forgot the name) on the ocean just south of the Midway. Stone And Green Flash brewing are closish to SD proper and are worth the trip. Have fun, SD is a neat place, oh and PM Mir, she's been there the last 2 summers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

And Max.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Man, Ron has a hard on for Coronado. I guess a navy seal humiliated him at one of the local bars or a local attorney made his life difficult. I get you like Encinitas, any guy that surf does. However, as far as nice safe areas within 10 blocks of the beach, you will be hard pressed to find a nicer community than Coronado. And for the OP plans, it would be a good safe spot to stay with the family. But whatever, we all like different flavors and OB, Mission Beach are certainly different.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Mission a safe place?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I wouldn't leave my wallet in the car but it's not a bad area, some punks but that's everywhere. Except Coronado On a serious note, was in Nado yesterday and love that town and I'm not even a tourist

Did the same trip with the kids two years ago and it rocked. Make sure to hit pizza port in Solana beach (great beers) on the way back from lego land. Also if your going off season (school year) lego land closes mid week. I totally pulled a Clark griswald...depending on how much your kids like legos you can easily go two days. Buy tickets at Costco when you get there or look for coupons online as its 80+ a head per day at the gate.

I highly recommend Pizza Port's stouts if your a fan of that genera. There is one closer to Mission Beach over the river in OB.

But seriously if pizza and beer are your thing one of the best spots I have ever been to is The Blind Lady Ale House in Normal Heights maybe 10-15 minutes east of Mission Beach. Amazing cheap wood fired pizzas and the best beer selection of almost anywhere (quality not quantity) The guy who invented most all of Stones good beers co-owns the place with Will Ferrel's college roommate. Ferrel is a regular when he is in town and does a yearly charity event with them.

There is a pretty good place, Pacific Ale House (block south of Crystal Peir) within walking distance from Mission Beach (we do it all the time from the coaster lot, its the easiest parking and maybe a mile away??) Anyhow sit on the roof look and at the ocean.

few TV famous places that are actually really fucking good -> Ponce's Mexican in Kensington- have the creamy chicken enchilada (last thing on the menu, I had it on a rec from someone in here its insane good) they are 10-15 minutes from mission beach just down Adams from Blind Lady. El Indio is another place that is crazy good, maybe 7 minutes from MB off the 5 in the west side of Little Italy. Phil's BBQ is absolutely insane good. Call your order in unless you want to wait in a line going around the block.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Man, Ron has a hard on for Coronado. I guess a navy seal humiliated him at one of the local bars or a local attorney made his life difficult. I get you like Encinitas, any guy that surf does. However, as far as nice safe areas within 10 blocks of the beach, you will be hard pressed to find a nicer community than Coronado. And for the OP plans, it would be a good safe spot to stay with the family. But whatever, we all like different flavors and OB, Mission Beach are certainly different.
    Oh, I didn't realize it was safety that rubs you're nut! Seals-I know many seals and very few of them live on that sand spit-but I also contend the beach in coronado sucks, and sucks big time. Lame surf less tourist beach. I'm right. Your you.

Oh, I didn't realize it was safety that rubs you're nut! Seals-I know many seals and very few of them live on that sand spit-but I also contend the beach in coronado sucks, and sucks big time. Lame surf less tourist beach. I'm right. Your you.

Having a great time, beautiful spot! Need a good seafood place in Mission Beach that is family friendly and walkable. I do have a 3.5 yo and 4 week out ACL patient with me. I haven't seen roller blades in a decade before yesterday.
    Last edited by montanaskier; 02-14-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

The weather's been pretty insane lately, too.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Always dug Pizza Port in Solana Beach...

Fillipis pizza for sure
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Take the Coaster and head North like Viva suggested.

Saw 10 grey whales and a humpback today.....total gaper play but it was pretty sweet and my kid dug it and they had a tasty IPA so I was happy. Went to dinner at Saskas last night, a little overpriced but still. Good jalapeño halibut. Sweet area, I could spend a few more days here for sure. Some fish tacos and beer tonight then back to Vail tomorrow. I'll be back.

Crazy fog rolled in this afternoon.
    Last edited by montanaskier; 02-15-2015 at 05:29 PM.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Went to dinner at Saskas last night, a little overpriced but still.
    Wooow....throw me in the way back machine. That was the first "official" date for me and the misses, about 35 years ago. Hope your after dinner went as well as mine. Glad you had a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Thread revival and immediate drift..I'm in La Jolla this week for work. Any recommendations for good beer/bars? I'm not a kid and don't have any with me so the zoo is out.

Pacific Beach area?

^^^what does that mean? I'm staying in downtown La Jolla, never been here before. I'm at the public house now. Decent beer selection I guess. Was hoping for more local brewery representation. I can get damn near everything on their beer list in Colorado.