Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    what is your earliest personal memory on skis?

If you could give three pieces of key advice you wish you had been given when you started as a ski mountaineering guide what would they be?

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskier View Post
    When in non-guiding situations, how often do you find yourself really pushing the envelope? Have you been in any of these situations where the exposure/circumstances required a retreat? I'd be interested in some insights to your decision making framework along these lines.
    i think that has changed with time - I'm a lot pickier now than 10 years ago. i think in my early days i would have 'gone for it' even when the conditions weren't ideal. i don't mean in terms of stability but in terms of quality. nowadays if I'm going to make a big effort - it has to be really good. i have less time than i did 10 years ago, but also i have a slightly higher standard for skiing - i guess I'm just getting spoiled! to answer your second question - yes i always leave the door open for retreat and that definitely happens, but less than before, because i only go when i really think its going to be prime. with my partners if anyone in the crew isn't feeling it than we go with that. I'm also never afraid to change the 'tool' - if skiing is too scary, i'll take a belay, rap, or even put on my crampons and down climb for a while. its all about being in the hills and having a great time with friends...and coming home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Do you feel more inspired to try riskier lines/routes now that you have more experience and skills, or less so because you know better how dangerous is it/what the actual risks & probabilities are?
    thanks ryan - i think I'm still just as inspired to try big and potentially high hazard lines as before - but with less frequency, i go when it feels like the odds are strongly in my favor, I'm quite picky these days - more than than in my 20's.

Do you ever go just ski laps at the Village on an off day, or do you only go touring?
    yes! but i wish i skied there more. that place is so good for my skiing, and frankly and i love shredding tram laps with a small crew, (when the lines are short)
    What was the biggest sufferfest/least rewarding expedition you've been on?
    thats easy - ski mo races. I've never hurt so bad, tried so hard, for such bad skiing. but i can't lie, its very rewarding in its own way. in 2008 romeo and i were in a teams event and he bonked so badly he could barely walk - we crawled to the finish line. it was painful i think the turkish women's team beat us.

How many days a week are you active/working out?
    5 on average, but in the heat of the season it can be 6 or even 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    you're getting old, what are ya, 30? Doing any gym training like Griffin/Brenton/etc or still do training for skiing on skis?
    haha - ya 30 or something like that. yes i do try to push heavy objects around to stay strong - I'm no griffin post, that guy is an animal but i do a fair bit of strength training. i don't do the gym program thing, but i have a setup at home that i use - we usually have a small crew of partners and try to stay motivated to wok hard 1-2 nights a week.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    what is your earliest personal memory on skis?
    crying like a little baby when my parents made me go to french ski school! also skiing around combloux with my dad and brother. it was a small hill in the haute savoie region in france - the rest of the memories are pretty good!
    Quote Originally Posted by powdergibbs View Post
    If you could give three pieces of key advice you wish you had been given when you started as a ski mountaineering guide what would they be?
    thats such a good question. ok here is my stab at it.
    1. find a mentor - there is no substitute for someone who is willing to invest in you and help you develop as a ski guide.
    2. see yourself as a professional - take it seriously - train like a pro, study like a pro, ski like a pro. if you believe in your ability as a ski guide, then you should give it everything you have - it will take that to be a truly great guide. ski guiding is very unique because unlike in other forms of mountain guiding - you guide with your words and your track - most of the time there is no rope. and often you are far away from your guests. you want them to have a long enough leash that they are having a great time and experiencing the freedom of skiing - but not too loose, or they will get into trouble. its a dance, and a balancing act that is very hard to nail. thats why truly great ski guiding is an art i think.
    3. do it for the right reasons. you have to be invested in someone else' experience - if you do it to "be able to ski everyday" it might be disappointing because you aren't skiing for yourself out there. if you love enabling people to accomplish something they didn't think they were capable of - you will probably be a great ski guide.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Are you an AMGA certified ski guide - or certified under some equivalent UIAGM handle? If not why haven't you pursued certification? Professional, cost, etc?
    LeeLau. i didnt start out that way, i started with amazing mentors - to whom i think i owe my career...rich rinaldi, don sharaf, nat patridge, christian santelices, mike poborsky etc. i have since decided to pursue certification, and its been a good process as well. i'll take my ski exam this winter.

How often do you get guests at Exum who sign up for a trip that's way above their ability level, they aren't in shape, and fall apart quickly?

Do you get powder fever much, or it more of an "objective fever," as in, I really want to ski that particular line, route, etc? What's a line in the Tetons you've always had your eye on but have yet to tackle?

In your experience with TGR athletes, what is their strong suite in the backcountry (besides their ski/ride ability) and what is typically their weak point?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by ski the tetons View Post
    LeeLau. i didnt start out that way, i started with amazing mentors - to whom i think i owe my career...rich rinaldi, don sharaf, nat patridge, christian santelices, mike poborsky etc. i have since decided to pursue certification, and its been a good process as well. i'll take my ski exam this winter.
    Nice! It sure is an expensive piece of paper but I'm told its worthwhile to get.

How do you deal with groups of different ability who want to ski/climb/tour together?

Do you ever do courses which touch on some of the more neglected skills in ski touring. I'm thinking map reading, route-finding, route-selection, objective selection. If so, how do you approach that? Classroom or field or a combination of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Whats your process for progressing into gnarlier and gnarlier terrain with (repeat) clients - how do you determine they have hit a wall or ready to step up to a bigger line?
    i don't know that i have much of a formula - or a great way to communicate it, but ultimately it comes down whether i/they trust their turn or not. i have runs that feel exposed and are steep, but where the consequences are relatively low - ill use that to move them up the ladder, and see if makes sense for them to keep going. I also belay clients quite often - especially if i haven't skied with them a lot. that way they can perform in a more managed scenario. as a general pattern tho - if its not reasonable for them to ski it without a rope, then its probably not reasonable for them to ski it at all. the rope comes out when conditions deteriorate, for short cruxes, or if the consequences are unsurvivable - but its definitely not a good substitute for having a reliable turn.

Have you skied in the Sawtooth's? They are great for ski mountaineering and similar to the Teton's.

Can you give any insight on the climbing gym in jackson? If you guys are successful in getting the proposal passed with the town, what is a realistic timeline?

In the mean time, what are you doing to stay in climbing shape (physically and mentally) over the winter?

Skiing has always been my #1 focus, but not having gym this winter has been really tough. It's crazy how big an impact something like that can have on your life without you ever realizing until its gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    How often do you get guests at Exum who sign up for a trip that's way above their ability level, they aren't in shape, and fall apart quickly?

i do get asked that a lot - but to be honest, i haven't really seen that happen. i think it would be different in La Grave, Valdez and places where you can catch a ride to the top. i think that in the tetons the mountains filter out the people who might be inclined to oversell themselves. also i won take first time guests into the really heavy terrain - its not good for them or me. we need to know how to work together before we get there, so we always take a few days to break into it. even with jeremy, he spent a full week riding around with me and his crew to get dialed and feel comfortable with the whole scene. i think we both needed that in order to be ready to ride the otter body.

Do you get powder fever much, or it more of an "objective fever," as in, I really want to ski that particular line, route, etc? What's a line in the Tetons you've always had your eye on but have yet to tackle?

I'm usually more excited by terrain than great snow. in the teton backcountry we pretty much always have great snow somewhere, but its when the magic windows of terrain + great snow open up that i get really pumped. there are a few, i think the NE ridge of Moran looks really aesthetic and i would like to ride that in dry snow conditions - its takes a lot of snow to fill in tho.

In your experience with TGR athletes, what is their strong suite in the backcountry (besides their ski/ride ability) and what is typically their weak point?
    i think i have come to realize that you don't get to be one of the best freeride skiers in the world without having a really good eye for terrain. from the athletes i work with; their ability to read terrain, to know where to put a turn, to make near perfect judgement about how the snow will feel etc - is right on. i often learn more from watching them ski, than they probably learn from me!

i think that developing a deep intuition for snow, and stability takes a lot of study and time spent poking under the surface - understandably most of the athletes didn't get to where they are by poking in the snow and studying - so it makes sense that this is an area they are still developing in. that said, I'm just coming off of the IPRW week and i was so inspired by the overall quest to learn, the curiosity about snow, and the commitment to taking their skills to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Nice! It sure is an expensive piece of paper but I'm told its worthwhile to get.
    yes i think it is - its is worthwhile for any professional to subject themselves and their decisions to the critique of people who have been doing it for a long time. its definitely expensive, but stepping up is part of being a professional i think.

How do you deal with groups of different ability who want to ski/climb/tour together?
    its always a game of playing to the lowest common denominator. if the crew wants to ski together it pays to understand that upfront i think.

Do you ever do courses which touch on some of the more neglected skills in ski touring. I'm thinking map reading, route-finding, route-selection, objective selection. If so, how do you approach that? Classroom or field or a combination of both?
    the skills that people seem most intent on is the technical rope skills - because i think you can't find those anywhere else. i definitely agree with you that route finding and terrain selection takes a fine eye, and thoughtful approach, but map reading and such seems to be well covered in alpine climbing literature. rope skills and techniques for skiers - thats hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_faster View Post
    Have you skied in the Sawtooth's? They are great for ski mountaineering and similar to the Teton's.
    bo - but i agree that looks like a killer range for skiing, i need to spend some time there in the winter!

Quote Originally Posted by iLLbiLLy View Post
    Can you give any insight on the climbing gym in jackson? If you guys are successful in getting the proposal passed with the town, what is a realistic timeline?

In the mean time, what are you doing to stay in climbing shape (physically and mentally) over the winter?

Skiing has always been my #1 focus, but not having gym this winter has been really tough. It's crazy how big an impact something like that can have on your life without you ever realizing until its gone.
    now you are talking! yes i think a realistic best case scenario is 1.5 years IF we get approval - but that is a big IF. we are working hard on it tho!
    i agree, no gym is brutal, i just got a membership to the teton sports club - where they built a bouldering wall, so I'm climbing there in the evenings.

zahan, thx for stopping by to answer questions! hope to see you in future films...

Quote Originally Posted by ski the tetons View Post

now you are talking! yes i think a realistic best case scenario is 1.5 years IF we get approval - but that is a big IF. we are working hard on it tho!
    i agree, no gym is brutal, i just got a membership to the teton sports club - where they built a bouldering wall, so I'm climbing there in the evenings.
    Can't say how happy I am that someone stepped up to the challenge and I don't think there's anyone more qualified in the community. I'll be there to offer my support whenever and where ever I can.

1.5 years is a long time, but it will be worth the wait. It seems a bit ridiculous to say, but I really don't know if I can stay in Jackson without having a place to climb in the winter. It's my sanctuary to get away from all the "argro" that comes once the JHMR tram starts spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    zahan, thx for stopping by to answer questions! hope to see you in future films...
    for sure, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iLLbiLLy View Post
    Can't say how happy I am that someone stepped up to the challenge and I don't think there's anyone more qualified in the community. I'll be there to offer my support whenever and where ever I can.
    thats awesome - i appreciate it!
    1.5 years is a long time, but it will be worth the wait. It seems a bit ridiculous to say, but I really don't know if I can stay in Jackson without having a place to climb in the winter. It's my sanctuary to get away from all the "argro" that comes once the JHMR tram starts spinning.

What rope setup do you find you use the most often for skiing involving 60m rappels? Tagline and Larger mm rope, or two twin ropes, or rappel cords, etc.

What ice climbing suitable crampons do you use on your dynafit boots?

What is the easiest way to improve on your steep skiing turn in a more controlled environment? I often feel that it is very difficult to ski steep terrain without exposure.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by uniboyskiier View Post
    What rope setup do you find you use the most often for skiing involving 60m rappels? Tagline and Larger mm rope, or two twin ropes, or rappel cords, etc.
    thats a good question. it depends what I'm rapping over. taglines are light, and can be effective, but they make me nervous because you are rapping on a single line, and when you pull it if it gets stuck, you might be left with nothing but a 6mm tag in your hand. if I'm rapping over ice i'll use it, but over rock I'm a bit hesitant - also it's not that fast for multipitch rappels i find. another option is 2 30m half or even twin ropes. that can be really light and is quite versatile - and you can split them between you and your partners. also that way you have a full 60m of rope if you need it for a belay or a lower. last option would be a twin 60m. its nice not having to deal with a knot - but then you have to thread the whole thing if you are working with rings - so that is a time suck, and dealing with 60m is more of a hassle. so my preferred method tends to be the 2 30m twin/half strands - or a tag if I'm rapping snow or ice. ALSO Mammut just released a really cool rap line - i think its 6mm static. its a way better tagline because it doesn't stretch and can also be rapped on, strong and cut resistant. check it out http://www.backcountrygear.com/6-0-r...Q#.VJILX8YRvS8

What ice climbing suitable crampons do you use on your dynafit boots?
    i have a pair of grivel mono's - but if its for ski mountaineering, this is my usual setup: i use the front toe piece of a BD sabretooth and the heel of a CAMP xlc 390 - since I'm not planning on walking down i have alu in the heel and steel in the front - that has worked well with me for years.

What is the easiest way to improve on your steep skiing turn in a more controlled environment? I often feel that it is very difficult to ski steep terrain without exposure.

Thanks!
    find steep terrain with a clean runout. go only halfway if you need to at first and then repeat, go higher until you are nailing your turn. i think that skiing at the ski area is the best way to develop a solid turn and then you can take it anywhere!

Alright guys, that's it for me. Thanks for your great questions, good luck out there, and stay safe! - Zahan

Thanks for chiming in. Appreciated the input.

Dunfee, good job with these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

This was a great read, the mountaineering aspect is beyond my personal experience but very interesting to see some of the thought processes of an experienced guide. Dunfee good job on this series, adds a lot to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    This was a great read, the mountaineering aspect is beyond my personal experience but very interesting to see some of the thought processes of an experienced guide. Dunfee good job on this series, adds a lot to the forum.
    Thanks guys! Glad you like. Any ideas for folks you'd like to see?

Trying to get Hoji and Mike Douglas involved. A random idea someone suggested today was to put up these guys (one of whom is TGR filmer) who built their own ski town tiny home that's fully winter proof: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ad...own-tiny-house

Could be an interesting Padded Room alternative, something different... interesting to anyone?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Cool thread, thanks Z!!!!