Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Car Rentals from Dever Airport to Summit County

First time planning a snowboarding trip to Summit County and consequently, first time renting a car for a snowboard trip. Thing I'm finding is none of the rental agencies will guarantee 4-wheel drive. It's available -- they just won't guarantee it. That makes me a little leery since I know what it's like to get turned around and sent back because your car lacks 4-wheel capability, as was the case years ago when we were heading home in a Tahoe snowstorm.

We now have the 4-wheel drive vehicle -- I just don't really want to drive from CA to CO. Had hoped to fly, but car rental agencies are telling me the only thing they can guarantee is that renting an SUV, specifically, will get you an auto with "all terrain" wheels. To me, that doesn't sound like something a Colorado Highway Patrol guy is going to allow in snowstorm if you have to stop at a chain-check point like they do here in CA.

So, long story short -- any who have done so, please share your experiences renting cars from Denver airport to Summit County. Comments, suggestions, insights welcomed and appreciated.

Use CME...

edit to add, CSP doesn't do checks like CHiP does...

And it doesn't snow in CO, so you'll be fine.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by nyboarder View Post
    that renting an SUV, specifically, will get you an auto with "all terrain" wheels.
    Tell them you will require a six speed manual turbo diesel eurowagon with a color matched roof box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

First time planning a snowboarding trip to Summit County and consequently, first time renting a car for a snowboard trip. Thing I'm finding is none of the rental agencies will guarantee 4-wheel drive. It's available -- they just won't guarantee it. That makes me a little leery since I know what it's like to get turned around and sent back because your car lacks 4-wheel capability, as was the case years ago when we were heading home in a Tahoe snowstorm.

We now have the 4-wheel drive vehicle -- I just don't really want to drive from CA to CO. Had hoped to fly, but car rental agencies are telling me the only thing they can guarantee is that renting an SUV, specifically, will get you an auto with "all terrain" wheels. To me, that doesn't sound like something a Colorado Highway Patrol guy is going to allow in snowstorm if you have to stop at a chain-check point like they do here in CA.

So, long story short -- any who have done so, please share your experiences renting cars from Denver airport to Summit County. Comments, suggestions, insights welcomed and appreciated.
    Colorado doesn't do highway checks like in California. We really should.

I70 is a total shitshow with people in 2004 Honda civics with bald tires everywhere. Long story short, you will not get turned around at a check point

As the others have said, you won't get turned back unless the highway is closed and then it's your decision what to do.

Most of the rental car companies at DIA have so many AWD's that chances are you'll get one even if you don't want it so odds are pretty good you'll get what you want.
    The Sheriff is near!

Dever is where all of the Chads live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

The feedback thus far has been helpful and encouraging. Thanks for to everyone who posted.

flew into denver the last2 years and drove rentals to Copper in bargain rentals both times,both times hit snow,storms heading back to Denver.no problem driving front wheel drive with all seasons,its not what you drive but how you drive.in snow.sort of like skiing on ice with no edges

in previous years I would fly in from out of state. Renting from DIA is expensive because of airport fees. If you are going to be up in summit for a reasonable amount of time, there is a hertz rental in Frisco. Rent a car at DIA for 1 day and then exchange it in Frisco the next day - this allows you to rent at a local rate, and can save you money if you are up for a week +. Not sure what the one way/drop fee is, but the people behind the counter in Frisco are generally going to try and help you,

on both my trips i picked up the rentals off site of the airport,a 20 minute shuttle ride from the airport,returns were made at the airport.last year a 10 day rental cost 129.00 dollars thru Costco.it was a toyota camry.picking it up at the airport was close to 400.00

Goto Silvercar. They only rent Audis for 35 a day

If you rent from DIA, don't rent from Payless if there is any chance that you will get there after midnight. Our plane was delayed (I don't think I've ever flown in there and NOT been delayed), so we were standing out at the curb at 12:30AM like dorks waiting for a bus that never came. Ended up renting a Sentra from Avis, which was the only place that would rent us anything ("Sedans only!"). The next 4 days were some of the worst driving conditions I've ever been in, during that Dec 20-23 storm that dropped 40" at Loveland. Got stuck twice and got used to trying to preserve momentum by never stopping fully. The "all season radials" were new, but completely useless. Never again.

Mazda SUV outa eagle, go to kingofcarrentals.com and Bob will get you a deal cheaper than most any discount code you can find, and all the mid sized SUV at EGE are 4wd. I use him 8-10 times a year and its a fair deal.

Almost every time I fly in winter I go to eagle instead of Denver, no pass to go over, no worry about traffic to get a morning flight. Like getting on the bus, NO security line…But I only have to get to Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Goto Silvercar. They only rent Audis for 35 a day
    I checked Silvercar and it was $59/day for weekend days and $89 weekdays. $159/day for a Q5 SUV. Am I missing something? Is there some secret way to get the $35/day rate?

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    I checked Silvercar and it was $59/day for weekend days and $89 weekdays. $159/day for a Q5 SUV. Am I missing something? Is there some secret way to get the $35/day rate?
    you need to know the I am tool bag audi driver handshake

I frequently do Friday night to Tuesday evenings and have been very happy with the Kia Soul from Advantage at $10/day or $63.59 total with taxes.
    The rear 60-40 seat folds down and I think you could easily fit three if you don't bring the kitchen sink.

thanks to this thread my wife rented from silverware at LAX this morning. $59 a day, curbside pickup and delivery, and they gave her a $50 first-time-users discount. She was pretty stoked.

Just use CME or Peak 1 Express and shuttle up/down, it's really easy and they WILL get you there/back if it is at all possible (at least, Peak 1 certainly will, even if it means sitting on a closed i70 for 4 hours). If you're planning to only ski in Summit, there are very regular buses that will get you anywhere you need to go. If you're planning to also ski Vail/Beav or anywhere else outside Summit, you can just rent a car in Frisco for those days.

No need 4WD, it will not snow again till April

Check out relayrides

Unless you're going to someplace like winter park where you have some roads that are 2 lane and wrap the mountainside some, you don't need a 4 wheel drive. most of the popular places in CO are off I-70 that is traveled enough that unless there's a storm coming thru exactly when youre driving in; its not a problem.

we usually rent a mid size sedan and only waited once in Denver for the storm to pass before heading up, but all the locals were not heading up either.

I have yet to drive a road in CO that I thought was 1/10 as scary as driving up 89 south of Tahoe to Kirkwood; wanted to turn around and wait it out; but theres not enough road to do that; 2 lane hugging the mountain with few siderails; not doing that again.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    Unless you're going to someplace like winter park where you have some roads that are 2 lane and wrap the mountainside some, you don't need a 4 wheel drive. most of the popular places in CO are off I-70 that is traveled enough that unless there's a storm coming thru exactly when youre driving in; its not a problem.

we usually rent a mid size sedan and only waited once in Denver for the storm to pass before heading up, but all the locals were not heading up either.

I have yet to drive a road in CO that I thought was 1/10 as scary as driving up 89 south of Tahoe to Kirkwood; wanted to turn around and wait it out; but theres not enough road to do that; 2 lane hugging the mountain with few siderails; not doing that again.
    You need to read the I-70 bitch thread. And the drive to winter park is not scarier than to summit county.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think this guy has already taken his trip

yeah, well, maybe he's coming back this winter!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    Check out relayrides
    Now called Turo. Pretty tempting. Anyone use this? What happens if the private car you're renting breaks down?
    "Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    --Norman Schwartzkopf