scarpa maestrale RS or LaSportiva Spectre

I've got a bright shiny new pair of dynafit radical ST bindings and i'll be buying some skis to put them on soon but before that I need to buy myself some touring boots. I'm looking specifically at these 2 boots because I get a preform on them (yeah, yeah, the first rule of pro deal...) otherwise I would also be considering the dynafit TLT6. I've done a decent amount of research and it seems like they both have some pros and cons.

Maestrale RS

pros:
    -stiffer/more supportive
    -tongue entry is good for cold weather/overnights
    -have been out for a couple years-tried & true
    cons:
    -less ROM for touring
    -$$$

Spectre
    Pros
    -very large ROM for touring
    -most people who have tried them have said that they are plenty stiff/supportive for skiing steep, technical lines and that they hold up at speed
    -$100 cheaper than RS
    -lightweight
    -also a tongue entry boot. good for overnights
    -very customizable as far as fit
    cons
    -finicky buckles but apparently you get used to them
    -flexible tongue means slightly less support

These boots will be used exclusively for touring. I'll probably only be using them inbounds to dial in the system and get used to them. They'll mostly be used for day tours in the 3-10 mile range but they will also be coming on some overnights in the IPW, san juans, and possibly some PNW volcanoes as well. while good tourability is important to me I am willing to compromise for something that will be good for the descent as well. I intend on skiing some steeper, committing lines with this set up and want something that will be supportive and responsive. I'm not planning on straightlining any super steep chutes but when the conditions allow for it I would like a boot that can really drive a ski well when I decide to open the throttle a little bit.

I know a lot of people on these forums love the maestrale RS and that the spectre hasn't really been around long enough to have a devoted following. that said, a lot of people have said that the spectre performs like a stiffer boot and that it has no problem performing well. if it will still act as a good boot on the descent I am leaning towards the spectre because of the increased range of motion during touring/boot packing.

is there anyone on here who has used both extensively and can reflect on these options?

thanks in advance for all your advice/feedback
    Last edited by TLkushner; 12-16-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Maybe if you try on the Tech Talk RS, you'll get a straight answer. Or better yet, the Search You Lazy Bum RS. I think those boots just may have been discussed once or twice here, and maybe even compared directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Ha ha. Good luck finding a discussion thread on anything of import that isn't 400 entries long, 372 of which are total BS and impossible to wade through.

Do they both fit you on volume and shape? I find that with my feet being completely changed by rock climbing shoes, the Maestrale RS is a good fit. I am also a longer big toe with a wide forefoot/metatarsals, prominent heal, and big calf over small to medium ankles. It would be amazing if it were good practice to wear one of each for an hour to see what your prefer. But that doesn't work in ski boots like climbing shoes or running shoes. Another thing to note, liners. Which is better?
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Normally I'd lead with the Search JONG thing but TGR managed to erase this review of the Spectre from last year. http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...ring-boot-2013

I reuploaded and it'll go back on the front page again sometime but in the meantime it's useful. Look at the AT boots comparative thread too

In the interest of furthering the chaos that results from threads in the wrong forum, I'll say that I just got a shiny new pair of Maestrles. Very excited to get them molded and on the trail.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    In the interest of furthering the chaos that results from threads in the wrong forum, I'll say that I just got a shiny new pair of Maestrles. Very excited to get them molded and on the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Do they both fit you on volume and shape? I find that with my feet being completely changed by rock climbing shoes, the Maestrale RS is a good fit. I am also a longer big toe with a wide forefoot/metatarsals, prominent heal, and big calf over small to medium ankles. It would be amazing if it were good practice to wear one of each for an hour to see what your prefer. But that doesn't work in ski boots like climbing shoes or running shoes. Another thing to note, liners. Which is better?

It is responses like these that are ruining TGR. I'm not saying you HAVE to be a dick, but don't encourage them, ffs.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post

It is responses like these that are ruining TGR. I'm not saying you HAVE to be a dick, but don't encourage them, ffs.
    TGR is ruined?!?!?!? Egad!

Okfine, here you go:

Hey OP! Instead of starting threads in this forum like a total dorkozoid, when I was looking into a new pair of AT boots, I used my google skillz and found reviews like this one by LeeLau: https://www.wildsnow.com/2951/scarpa...e-boot-review/

Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

fit fit fit fit and fit period !

What kind of foot do you have what boots do you aready own that fit well ?

You also want to TRY ON the Mercury & Cochise

And yeah yer in the rong fucking forum which in a broader sense means you didn't lurk long enough to do any checking around to see what questions to ask and how to ask those questions to learn what you want to know
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Whichever one gives your anus that nice full and stretched feeling. Remember it should hurt at first, it'll take some getting used to.

So, in all of your extensive research you didn't come across a whole forum here dedicated to talking about gear.

Not to mention that we can't possibly give you advice before knowing if you bought skis to match.

Have you considered just leaving the dynafits in the box? Those things are collectors items!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

^^^ Now that I know you're a mod (or maybe I knew and forgot), I'm going to note that you can move this to Tech Talk where it belongs.

Or threaten to ban the dude (and delete all his posts!!!) unless he deletes it and reposts it there. I mean, this place is already going to shit anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.