Pipe Masters 2014

Lots of heavy beatings, Slater got burned (no way Melling's wave was an 8.9), Zietz and Wright looking like the form surfers, with Florence as stylish as ever. Looking forward to a rising west swell for Round 2 on this snow-less day.

fark that inside section looks like no fun at all today..

Gabriel Medina is going to take the title. First for Brazil. Kid is out of this world insane.

Quote Originally Posted by splitinbend View Post
    Gabriel Medina is going to take the title. First for Brazil. Kid is out of this world insane.
    It looks like it's going to be finished at Backdoor. If he can deal with the pressure and get through through Payne on his backhand, he'll have earned it.

commissioner should be ashamed..

This is what went down after they called the contest off for the day.

Yes there was a lot of water moving and some no makable waves.. These are the best surfers in the world. Let them do there thing

Sitting on the sand literally one hour from the call to stop ( after the stand by call ) my friend says J O B pulled into a set on 3rd reef on a SOFT top and crushes.

Medina is going to do battle with goofy footers when it re-starts. Almost like they are trying to make it as hard as possible on him.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post

This is what went down after they called the contest off for the day.

Yes there was a lot of water moving and some no makable waves.. These are the best surfers in the world. Let them do there thing
    Some pretty ridiculous rides in there.

Dude. Did you watch the webcast that day? Slater crushed it. Everyone else was winning heats with 6 and 8 point heat totals. It was some of the worst pipe I've seen in a long time for the contest. Every surfer was coming out of the water and saying, "I would never surf here in these conditions in a free surf." Commish has the best forecasters and the best local guys giving him input. Commish is a former Pipe Master. He is not ashamed. He made the best call given the info at hand. The ocean just decided to laugh at everyone that day and turn it on within the space of twenty minutes to light years better than it had been all day. If it had looked like that all day the contest would have been insane! Luck of the draw and nothing more.

"I would never surf here in these conditions in a free surf." have you ever been to a big mountain ski or snowboard comp?

This has nothing to do with the ocean, it was all about two letters AI and fittingly Bruce got into the mix and showed everyone he belongs in a pipe comp in memory of his bro.

If you don't like weather "or the surf" wait a while...

"I would never surf here in these conditions in a free surf." have you ever been to a big mountain ski or snowboard comp?
    That is a valid point, but yes I competed in many and have 4 top 5 finishes. Normally sending it to ice. Which agrees with your point.

I just didn't see a point in calling out the commish. He makes the best decision he can and is a former pipe master.
    The whole Bruce thing not being in the invitational is another argument all together. Good discussion on the inertia.com about it.

Hopefully the end of the waiting period sees some swell so we can watch people get shacked!

This has nothing to do with the ocean, it was all about two letters AI and fittingly Bruce got into the mix and showed everyone he belongs in a pipe comp in memory of his bro.

If you don't like weather "or the surf" wait a while...
    Predicting the waves isn't easy, but KP has done a pretty good job of ensuring quality conditions for the contests this year. Bruce has choked in too many contests to be taken seriously as a competitor.

Judging by the ocean behind the commentators I doubt they run today at this point.

Looks like they are going to be forced to run heats today in shit conditions in order to finish tomorrow.

They bailed on today. One day swell hitting tomorrow.

All lot of heats to get through tomorrow, I imagine they'll dump the non elimination round.

Bonus for the locals, Sunday should be pumping.

Bammmm. Some heats were stinkers with barely any waves and the ocean came alive for the finals. Amazing end to the event and the year. Brazzos are stoked. Medina deserved the title this year no doubt about it.
    Looking forward to next season already!

Wow. Medina's backhand tube riding was next level stuff, but Wilson just dominated every heat into a final that was so dramatic it could have been scripted. A split peak start with 9.93, answering back with a perfect 10, a tense lull, then a set wave each in the dying minutes, to waiting for scores on the beach. What a privilege it is to be able to watch this quality of production, live on the internet, for free.