Backcountry options from Milan?

Likely headed to Milan around Easter. Wondering if someone can give me tips on where some good places would be to settle in for a few days and do some good backcountry skiing. I'm not looking for lift accessed stuff. I want to stay away from the crowds and away from the lift prices. I was thinking there must be some good options in the Cervinia or Sestriere areas but all the info I find on the net is related to swanky resort skiing.

Can someone recommend an area with some good ski tours (or some guidebooks with good tips/info) within a 2-3 hour drive from Milan? Either a small town we can call home base and do some day trips from or a 3-4 day hut-to-hut tour are both options.

Thanks!
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

There is a lot within 2-3 hours, including Chamonix. We used to drive to Andermatt in about 2 hours.

Perhaps research Gran Paradiso.

Or get yourself to one of the mountain passes that may be open around Easter. There are two between Italy and Andermatt. One had a hanging valley at the side of the road with N, W and S aspect terrain.
    Life is not lift served.

The area around Adamello has amazing potential, as well as the valley that has the madonna campiglio ski area.
    Although it may not be pristine, there is alot more nature and trees in that area compared to austria and swiss. There's also been reports of the occaisional bear, although id think there are few left, if any.

You should definitely rent a car as italian trains and public transit generally suck. Its also a gamble on coditions, and so far the southern side of the alps has been the winner starting out this season, but not by much. Definitely check the euros thread for conditions beta before ya head over. Enjoy

I found it pretty easy to get to Courmayeur from Milan by bus, and there is lots of potential there...

The Monte Rosa areas have the well known lift served at Champoluc-Gressoney-Alagna, but there's a ton of awesome touring around there as well. There's refugios all over there and lots of smaller towns just down the road from the main ski lifts of each of the above. Away from the groomers, it's like touring: very few people.
    http://www.monterosa-ski.com/?lang=en .
    If the weather is good, you could try for the Refugio Marguerite or Gnfetti
    Down valley from Alagna is the Hotel dei Pescatori where the deluxe single rooms are 40 euros/night and comes highly recommended from a widely travelled pal who said the owners are good people and they have a garage in Alagna where you can park a car or they will give you a ride.
    http://www.albergodeipescatori.it/

Morning tickets at Alagna are 20 euros.

Another spot kind of off the radar on the Monte Rosa is Macugnaga which does have a smaller lift complex that takes one up to the ridge from which one can ski down into Saas-Fee.
    http://www.piemonteitalia.eu/gestore...a.html?lang=en .

Further West, there's Cervinia and Valtourneche which are more developed.

I've heard that the skiing out of Courmayeur and particularly La Palud is good but I've never been there.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 12-14-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Helbronner point from La Palud? It is lift served I guess but still . . .

We did only lift served at Courmayeur but the guide was pointing out some tasty looking backcountry lines. No glaciers to contend with, just avalanches. Unlike Helbronner.