https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-51182451

#GoScience!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Immune discovery 'may treat all cancer'

#GoScience!
    Unfortunately, it's more hype than firm potential. But still ... Fuck cancer

My buddy is no longer suffering.

RIP Eric Erbe
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post

RIP Eric Erbe
    Sorry to hear this. Condolences to you and Eric's family.

A very separate life event prompted me to check in here and read the last year's worth of posts. I'm a bit teary writing this due to both the uplifting reports and those about losing, or about to lose, another member of The Survivor's Club. I take every loss personally.

And I'm reminded every day that I'm still a member. The scars, external and internal, most fading with time, remind me how lucky I am to have them, to see them; the one for the port is barely visible. I've learned to simply tolerate the muscle spasms in my neck, a symptom of neuropathy caused by radiation. I'm actually hoping that my current lack of strength and stamina is at least somewhat related to diminished thyroid function. It was the case at the beginning of the last ski season (and the one before that) and all it took was a different dosage to get my downhill pursuits in order. Otherwise it's just because I've gotten fat and weak (could be true).

And as I drink the rye on the rocks on the table next to me, and think about dinner, and how I will be able to eat and swallow and enjoy that food, I appreciate how fortunate I am to be here, living my life, now 7+ years post treatment. Because I know only too well that is not the outcome everyone experiences.

Cancer changes our lives and the lives of those around us, but it's not all for the worst. It forced me to appreciate my own life more fully and better understand how close we all are to the void. I am definitely more inclined to order the expensive entree, drink the better booze, stay at the fancy B&B, go see more live music, buy more gear (music related and otherwise) and enjoy my time with my sweetie, family and friends. I can only hope that others in this Club can do the same.

And...

FUCK CANCER
    If it's too loud, you're too old

hear, hear. more power to you man

Hell yeah GetAmped. Thanks for posting that, you said it well. Such a range of perspectives.

I take the wins as personally as the losses--probably the only reason I've mentioned mine is I assume others do, too. We deserve some wins. So sorry Scotty. Fuck cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post

RIP Eric Erbe
    Sorry SB.

FUCK cancer 😥

SB, I’m so sorry for your loss, amigo.

GetAmped, that’s so well said. Awesome.

Fuck cancer.

SB, sorry for your loss.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

SB, so very sorry for your loss.

GetAmped, Very well stated. Keep up the positive vibes but be ever vigilant. Cancer can come back any time.

Fuck Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Immune discovery 'may treat all cancer'

#GoScience!
    Unfortunately, it's more hype than firm potential. But still ... Fuck cancer
    The potential is actually pretty significant. Senior author who runs the lab did his postdoc here in Utah (full disclosure, he's an old friend of mine) and the basic science behind the Nature Immunology manuscript is sound. We're already seeing amazing results with CAR-T and it's only going to accelerate.

Thanks guys, had the close friends get together at the local micro last night.

One of the awesome things about Eric was he was a snow structure scientist. He traveled and lived in high mountains to collect, photograph and study snow. He also was an accomplished trail builder and an encyclopedia of the local trail system. Great guy and so funny.

Moving forward
    watch out for snakes

Just found out a friend from high school has advanced ovarian cancer. Please keep Martha in your thoughts.

Fuck Cancer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Millsie1 View Post
    Just found out a friend from high school has advanced ovarian cancer. Please keep Martha in your thoughts.

Fuck Cancer!!!!
    Oh dude, that sucks bad. Fuck cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    The potential is actually pretty significant. Senior author who runs the lab did his postdoc here in Utah (full disclosure, he's an old friend of mine) and the basic science behind the Nature Immunology manuscript is sound. We're already seeing amazing results with CAR-T and it's only going to accelerate.
    No doubt cell therapy is a promising new approach where huge research dollars are being spent and heme responses in the clinic look terrific. Furthermore, I've love nothing more than to see continued advancement in this space. I just want to make sure readers here understand that when they read a headline that says "may treat all cancers" accompanied by preclinical data only, that the path to something useful in the clinical is long and chllenging. Such is the state of drug discovery and development. What that means for cell therapy is exhaustion, solid tumor access, target-loss, CRS, manufacturing challenges, COG's, etc.

But fuck cancer nonetheless! Every advancement counts toward our collective knowledge and future success.

^^^ Oh yeah, no disagreement with you there at all, huck. I'm just super optimistic these days about where things are headed, after decades in the biz. As you mentioned, we're seeing incredible responses in the clinical setting for the newly available agents and I'm constantly amazed how rapidly breakthroughs are making it from lab bench science to actual patients - it just blows my mind.

And yeah, I'm usually with you on being very cautious and often critical/cynical about preclinical data translating into real gains, no question. But as I mentioned above, it makes my head spin how rapidly advances are piling on and how many tools we're generating to combat the disease in such a short time. And knowing the senior author on the study and recognizing he's a great and careful scientist that doesn't bullshit, I'm pumped. It really amazes me, after years of us using the same old chemo over and over, how we now have such powerful tools at our disposal, with more in the pipeline thanks to people like you.

IMO we're getting closer and closer to the breakthrough of really being able to say fuck you to cancer. I wouldn't have thought it in my career.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^ fkna
    x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    ^^^ Oh yeah, no disagreement with you there at all, huck. I'm just super optimistic these days about where things are headed, after decades in the biz. As you mentioned, we're seeing incredible responses in the clinical setting for the newly available agents and I'm constantly amazed how rapidly breakthroughs are making it from lab bench science to actual patients - it just blows my mind.

And yeah, I'm usually with you on being very cautious and often critical/cynical about preclinical data translating into real gains, no question. But as I mentioned above, it makes my head spin how rapidly advances are piling on and how many tools we're generating to combat the disease in such a short time. And knowing the senior author on the study and recognizing he's a great and careful scientist that doesn't bullshit, I'm pumped. It really amazes me, after years of us using the same old chemo over and over, how we now have such powerful tools at our disposal, with more in the pipeline thanks to people like you.

IMO we're getting closer and closer to the breakthrough of really being able to say fuck you to cancer. I wouldn't have thought it in my career.
    I'm with ya brother. 20 years between onc disc, dev, services and now BD. Still trying to kick Cancer's ass.

Yesterday Jen had another MRI. Radiologist called this morning to tell us the one lesion has grown more. Not just dead cells but cancer. She is going to need brain surgery to remove.

FUCK!

Jesus Millie, that’s terrible. Sincere wishes for a positive outcome.

Fuck cancer.

fuck man so sorry. Keep fighting Jen!

Good luck, Millsie

Quote Originally Posted by Millsie1 View Post
    Yesterday Jen had another MRI. Radiologist called this morning to tell us the one lesion has grown more. Not just dead cells but cancer. She is going to need brain surgery to remove.

FUCK!
    If she's HER2+ ask her onc about a trial for Tucatinib. Not approved yet, but probably will be soon. They've been specifically looking at brain mets in their ongoing clinical trials and the data looks pretty good. Safety is reasonable. https://www.seattlegenetics.com/pipeline/tucatinib