Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64
Results 1,576 to 1,589 of 1589

Thread: Fuck Cancer

Here is a video on prostate cancer. He explains the laser process, pros and cons. Different types of MRI's. From the Prostate Laser center and Dr Sterling. Pass it along to anyone who just needs info.

https://youtu.be/KhFJHkImXGs?si=QAXP7Eu65SpdaZgG

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    50% of fear of cancer isn’t fear of mortality, it’s fear of financial ruin. That’s not right. If I was Uber rich I’d give all my money away to people being treated for cancer to alleviate that fear so they could focus on health/survival. I feel very strongly about that.
    ^This right here. I'd argue a bit more on the mortality side, but watching families in the pediatric cancer community face job loss (parents quit job to care for child), face residency fears (moving out of state for treatment), bankruptcy, etc. has been tough to experience. We were fortunate with insurance and what not, but many aren't.

Donate to research and uncompensated care if you feel so inclined...

^^^ Ouch, sorry to hear that. Cancer in children should be illegal.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Yes fear of mortality might reach 60% for me personally. Most of the fear of mortality is rooted in fear of how it would affect my son/wife. I’d jump off a bridge in a nano-second if it weren’t for them. Honestly I fantasized about suicide non stop during chemo. Literally wanted to blow my brains out, over dose on benzos, die in nuclear warfare. Seriously.

Now I’m remission I just fear it coming back. Odds are in my favor, but the odds are scary. I don’t want to ever tell my son I have cancer again.

In the last few weeks I’ve taken care of too many critically ill cancer patients in the ER, some not so old. It sucks. I don’t like it. Signing DNR orders, having the end of life discussions with families, all of it.

With so many false positives, is it even worth getting a psa test ?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    With so many false positives, is it even worth getting a psa test ?
    Well, yes, absolutely. As someone mentioned earlier, it’s not so much the absolute value, but the trajectory that counts the most. To see that, you need a history of regular PSA testing.

That’s what caught my prostate cancer, and probably why I’m still alive. My GP had been ordering PSA tests at my annual physicals for several years and noticed that the levels had started to spike up. He referred me to a urologist who did additional tests, which led eventually to a biopsy and rather startling news and surgery.

Prostate cancer for most people progresses slowly, like a tortoise. In my case, it was more like a rabbit. My Gleason score was about as bad as you can get. When they removed the prostate they found the cancer had reached the outside wall. However the surgeon removed an additional margin and the nearby lymph nodes which were cancer free.

Three years of follow-up PSA tests have all been undetectable, so it’s likely the cancer hasn’t spread further. Knock on wood.

Most people can get away with just monitoring the situation, but it didn’t turn out that way for me, and maybe not for you, either.

I would say, though, the biopsy was not a pleasant experience. And there are certain side effects from having your prostate removed which are not exactly desirable (but can be worked around to a certain extent). However, it does beat dying.

Good summary intended for patients regarding prostate screening:
    https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...#39;t%20needed.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm really impressed that you and your lawyer made an issue of fixing the procedure and not just taking the money. Thank you for doing that.

This is a weak area in medicine. One study found a specimen source error rate of 2.3% which I think is high but even a tenth of that is too much. Labs have procedures for properly tracing the path a specimen takes. The weak spot is in the clinic or OR. I had tons of training in verifying patients but in 35 years in training and practice I never heard a word about specimen verification. Fortunately it never happened in any case of mine, but that was luck. (They lost a leg I amputated but it wasn't a cancer case, so no harm but definitely foul.)

Thank you for educating us about the problem.
    I've related the story here before about sample cups and the fertility clinic for our IUI. The only thing that prevented the swap from being complete is the techs read the label that I had filled out on our jar. Some person in a white lab coat came running out into the lobby in a terrible panic to confirm my name. I compulsively fill out labels. Thankfully. Our generic brown paper bag got placed in the wrong basket. Thing #2 is definitely my kid.

^^^yeah mislabeling a CBC or a chem tube is one thing, but mislabeling a path specimen or a cup of sperm is next level terrifying

In contrast, here is some additional, more detailed info from the NIH:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK556081/
    Look at the section “Advantages of PSA Screening”.

"The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (Task
    Force) has issued a final recommendation on
    Screening for Prostate Cancer. "
    Final? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    In contrast, here is some additional, more detailed info from the NIH:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK556081/
    Look at the section “Advantages of PSA Screening”.
    Also look at the section on disadvantages.

Nothing in science or healthcare is final (good catch that’s an odd statement from them).

The NIH summary of all guidelines isn’t radically different and ultimately it’s a shared decision with patients.

There’s controversy across all aspects of healthcare … certainly nothing is black and white.

certainly nothing is black and white.
    Xrays still are. (Sorry)

I was in health care long enough to see opinions on various things swing left to right, back left and back to the right. I read an article a long time ago about it. When something is accepted practice the journals will only print articles debunking the dogma. So the standard of care eventually changes, and eventually journals start printing studies supporting the orignal debunked dogma. So it goes back and forth. PSA was standard of care. Until it wasn't. Until it sorta is.
    And if 5% chance of being wrong is accepted as statistically signifcant that means that 5% of the studies are wrong, which is a lot of studies. Of course most studies show statistical significance a lot better than that, but still--just by chance alone there's a lot of wrong ideas that get published. I saw a study that showed that if a woman had a breast biopsy mid cycle it was more likely to be positive for cancer. Then the same journal published a study showing if she had the biopsy during her menses it was more likely to be positive. And if you combined the results the timing of the biopsy made no difference.

Shades of grey!