Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuck Cancer

Congrats to HMS on a great recovery!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I lost a great friend around this time last year. She started having vision problems and stumbling a month before her diagnosis. An MRI confirmed she had a DIPG. No course of treatment, no procedure, just the beginning of palliative care. She was diagnosed in February and dead in August. She was 18. Much love, Jane.

On the bright side, my old man's PSA has been drastically reduced and he starts treatment pretty soon.

Thoughts are with you all. Fuck cancer.
    Back to rereading the thread. SYF, sorry to hear this. I know you are new around here and young, you have my sincerest sympathy on the loss of your friend. That really sucks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

On the bright side, my old man's PSA has been drastically reduced and he starts treatment pretty soon.

Thoughts are with you all. Fuck cancer.
    Curious about what caused the reduction in your dads PSA level? Did they start him on hormone therapy or something? Or did it just change on its own?

Sorry about your friend. Good luck with your dad.

Thanks HMS. That is great to read. We just got done cleaning up from a party at our house for a friend w/ stage 4 lymphoma to shave her head before her hair falls out.

I appreciate the uplifting end to the night.

Fuck yes, HMS. To fight like that is truly admirable. I cannot even imagine.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Curious about what caused the reduction in your dads PSA level? Did they start him on hormone therapy or something? Or did it just change on its own?
    This kinda turns into something of a vent post so be forewarned.

I will be honest, my parents keep me out of the loop on my dad's prognosis. Hell, they kept me out of the loop for his diagnoses, too. I only learned that he was diagnosed with bone cancer after he got a second opinion a few weeks after his initial diagnosis. Thankfully, he did not end up having bone cancer so I guess it is good that they didn't tell me right off the bat but even with his cut-and-dry prostate diagnosis, I only learned immediately prior to his surgery. But, like I said, they are not very upfront with me about it so I have kinda have to piece things together from what I overhear of their conversations, my questions that are actually answered, and research I have done.

He had a radical prostatectomy early last summer. During the follow-up tests, he showed an abnormally high PSA. It is my understanding that the presence of a PSA is standard following a prostatectomy but his was higher than whatever the maximum accepted value is. As a result, they feared his cancer had metastasized. They continued to monitor his PSA and began planning his course of treatment. I don't know if it was chemo or radiation. Which is more common in this application?

Before his treatment began, COVID hit so it has been pushed back until late this year. After receiving the results of his most recent biopsy (i think i am using that term in the proper context), I overheard him tell my mom that his PSA had gone down but that he would still need treatment. So I assume that means that it just went down?

I know it may seem strange that my parents are withholding my father's prognosis from my sister and me but I understand completely. I assume that they fear my knowing the reality of my dad's situation may be an emotional trigger for me and that my behavior or reaction may make the situation worse for everyone. That said, is this a normal thing for parents to do? Also, if anyone can help answer any of my uncertainties, that would really be appreciated.

Thanks for explaining the situation. Ideally after the prostate is removed, the PSA level should be undetectable after a couple months or so. Otherwise, there is concern that the cancer has spread. I’d guess the follow up “treatment” would be radiation, but you should just directly ask your father.

I think he probably doesn’t want to worry you, or burden you with his problems, but he might answer questions put directly to him.

Rough stuff there, suf. I wish I had answers for you, but I’m hoping for a positive outcome. IME I think it isn’t unusual to keep things low key with one’s kids.

Fuck cancer.

I lost a great friend around this time last year. She started having vision problems and stumbling a month before her diagnosis. An MRI confirmed she had a DIPG. No course of treatment, no procedure, just the beginning of palliative care. She was diagnosed in February and dead in August. She was 17. Much love, Jane.

That sux about your friend. 17

Tell dad we're pulling for him.

Just want to thank all of ya'll. This thread is a damn good one.

Got some good news last night: my wife's friend, a really active young mom, was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer about a year ago. It had already spread. I haven't kept up with all of her surgeries but she had a full slate with chemo and I think a little radiation. Tough fight, but she's been getting after it on every front, still riding and running. She just got a scan: no evidence of disease.

That's awesome HMS! Looking forward to you kicking my ass on the skin track again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Got some good news last night: my wife's friend, a really active young mom, was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer about a year ago. It had already spread. I haven't kept up with all of her surgeries but she had a full slate with chemo and I think a little radiation. Tough fight, but she's been getting after it on every front, still riding and running. She just got a scan: no evidence of disease.
    More good news

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    That's awesome HMS! Looking forward to you kicking my ass on the skin track again this year.
    Now I'm in recovery from knee replacement, so we shall see, haha.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Any good news from anyone in here? I hope? All the best to everyone.
    Ruby is still NED and a perfectly happy healthy kid

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This was the good news I was fishing for!

And continued health to everyone who has also since chimed in (HMS!) with a solemn fuck cancer as this thread incorporates new challenges and stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Any good news from anyone in here? I hope? All the best to everyone.
    My son has moved to MRIs every 6 months (instead of 3) and continues to show no evidence of disease (NED) of his brain tumor (almost 3 years post treatment). He continues to build his strength back and is doing great. Thankful doesn't begin to describe my emotions.

Much love to HMS, SYF, Mikey B, and others whose lives have been touched by this disease. Fuck Cancer!

It's so nice to see a bunch of good news in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    My son has moved to MRIs every 6 months (instead of 3) and continues to show no evidence of disease (NED) of his brain tumor (almost 3 years post treatment). He continues to build his strength back and is doing great. Thankful doesn't begin to describe my emotions.

Much love to HMS, SYF, Mikey B, and others whose lives have been touched by this disease. Fuck Cancer!
    So happy for you, R, and the rest of the crew!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That is great to read.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Can anyone provide an update on Inspector Gadget and his wife?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    It's so nice to see a bunch of good news in this thread
    X1000

Like many others I find it hard to check this thread. Trust me, it’s not for lack of empathy for your losses and fights.

Very happy to hear the successes and continuing good health for so many. My heart still to go out to those of you and your loved ones who are in the thick of the fight or in its wake. Prayers y’all.
    I still call it The Jake.

One more report: I got a clear scan @ 3.5 years and my doc just told me 80% of recurrences for my cohort happen by year 3. Odds: flipped.

Not one of these goes by without wanting to declare victory, and then I remember Tate saying that same thing. Fuck cancer.

Awesome news, jono. And everyone else that has had positive news as of late.