Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuck Cancer

My wife died on July 8 for years ago of pancreatic cancer, at the age of 34. She worked for Oars in the summer and skied the Freeskiing world tour in the winters. A big Fuck You cancer!!

Sorry to hear that, tokin.

A friend is just out from over fourteen hours of surgery and will follow up with four rounds of chemo over eight weeks. Fuck cancer indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by tokinskier View Post
    My wife died on July 8 for years ago of pancreatic cancer, at the age of 34. She worked for Oars in the summer and skied the Freeskiing world tour in the winters. A big Fuck You cancer!!
    Sorry to hear man, sounds like she lived the time she was given right though.

My dad is nearing the end. FUCK CANCER!
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I just held my dad's hand as he took his final breath. He skied his final turns last spring. Fuck cancer
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Sorry Beaver. I hope it was good for you to be there with him.

Very sorry Beaver. No words (I have) can heal a loss like yours.
    I still call it The Jake.

Rough time Beaver vibes to you and yours. His suffering is over though. RIP

Damn, Beaver. Glad he could have you by his side.

Vibes Beaver
    watch out for snakes

Sorry Beav.

Fuck Cancer

The Maine ski community lost a solid dude this week, 18 riders turned out tonight to #rideforwes

Vibes to u Beav
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 09-30-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Fuck beaver, I'm sorry

Ruby update. Miraculously, scans in August and today both showed no tumor growth. No reduction in size or number of tumors either, but no growth. Her oncologist has no idea why. It could possibly be a delayed effect of the immunotherapy drug she took, but staining tests done on tumor samples showed that <1% of the cells carried the molecular lock that the drug acts on so they think that's unlikely. Regardless, we're happy for any good news. For now she's still asymptomatic and outwardly a completely normal and happy 3 y.o.

Condolences to you and J, Beaver.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Cancer has taken 5 of my wife's 8 brothers and sisters, and both of her parents, and my dad, and now my brother has it. Yeah, fuck cancer very much!

It's even worse though when little kids are the victim. Very sorry to hear about that.
    Well, now another one of my wife's sisters has cancer. This time it is the sister she is closest to. They talk almost every day on the phone.

Started off in her hips and now in her brain. Not looking good. Fuck cancer!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Ruby update. Miraculously, scans in August and today both showed no tumor growth. No reduction in size or number of tumors either, but no growth. Her oncologist has no idea why. It could possibly be a delayed effect of the immunotherapy drug she took, but staining tests done on tumor samples showed that <1% of the cells carried the molecular lock that the drug acts on so they think that's unlikely. Regardless, we're happy for any good news. For now she's still asymptomatic and outwardly a completely normal and happy 3 y.o.
    I think about Ruby's fight a lot. In fact, my wife asks me every week if I've heard anything new after I shared the story with her. I know that sounds weird from an internet stranger but I'm really happy to hear this update.

Amazing. Go Ruby!!!!!

Anecdotal story ... Jim Allison discovered the molecule that became Ipilimumab (Yervoy) almost 20 years ago. You may know Yervoy as one of the new immunotherapy drugs that releases the brakes on the immune system to kill tumors. Jim had an absolute passion for this molecule and believed whole heartedly in its prospects. Well, the first few clinical trials followed the standard model. Measure tumor at baseline, give drug, measure tumor after 6 weeks and 3 months. You can vary the dosing and the timing to ensure limited toxicity. Unfortunately, Yervoy failed miserably in those first trials. In fact, tumors appeared to be growing larger. What the clinicians/researchers didn't realize until after a few tries is that the tumor mass was indeed getting bigger, but it was because of an increase in immune cells into the tumor coupled to general inflammation. Had they extended their trial window to the 4-5 month time frame, they would have seen tumors shrink. Not everyone responded, but many who did saw a so called "memory response" where the immune system eradicated the tumor and presumably any future version not unlike a vaccine.

Rooting for Ruby and your family. I'm glad to hear some positive news.

Sorry Beaver

Well, now another one of my wife's sisters has cancer. This time it is the sister she is closest to. They talk almost every day on the phone.

Oh man, bummer. Hang in there for her.

Ruby update... ... we're happy for any good news. For now she's still asymptomatic and outwardly a completely normal and happy 3 y.o.
    So glad to hear that

That's horrible. I can't imagine how hard that must be on you and your wife. It must feel like it's inevitable that it could happen to her any day.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    I think about Ruby's fight a lot. In fact, my wife asks me every week if I've heard anything new after I shared the story with her. I know that sounds weird from an internet stranger but I'm really happy to hear this update.
    Nah, man, that's touching. I'll definitely keep posting updates, but for now it's just wait-and-see mode. Apparently there are no other drugs to try that wouldn't just make her sick with little hope for a tangible benefit. She'll go back in for another scan in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    What the clinicians/researchers didn't realize until after a few tries is that the tumor mass was indeed getting bigger, but it was because of an increase in immune cells into the tumor coupled to general inflammation. Had they extended their trial window to the 4-5 month time frame, they would have seen tumors shrink.
    Interesting, she's 4 months out from finishing her Opdivo infusions. I don't think they have any plans to try Yervoy. It was discussed at one point, so maybe they've done tests that indicate it wouldn't be effective, I don't know.

Great news Dan! Hope things stay the same. My wife had new scans this morning. Will know results in a couple of weeks.

My brother found out last week he has prostate cancer.

Fuck cancer
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    My brother found out last week he has prostate cancer.

Fuck cancer
    Fuck cancer indeed, but your brother picked a good one.

The 5-year relative survival rate is almost 100%
    The 10-year relative survival rate is 98%

Yep, we talked about that very thing.

No one wants cancer but this one is has good odds for a complete cure.
    watch out for snakes