Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 805

Thread: Fuck Cancer

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    growing up Cancer was rarely heard of in my family and now its affected too many of us.

    Cancer is big business and until profit is taken out the equation cures will not happen....I say this in bitterness having lost my Mom to Cancer and seeing Dad dealing with it.

    I believe there are cures but its difficult know whats real and what is voodoo bullshit.

    so yes Fuck Cancer
    I suspect you know nothing of the people and motives involved in new drug discovery. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother and father but you can be assured that the brightest minds in medicine take it as their personal mission to find curative treatments. I know from direct experience.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada eh
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I suspect you know nothing of the people and motives involved in new drug discovery. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother and father but you can be assured that the brightest minds in medicine take it as their personal mission to find curative treatments. I know from direct experience.

    Being naive about the reality of Cancer research is something I'm not.
     
    I'm grateful for the advances in treatment which is keeping my dad alive but my frustration is with billions upon billions spent and we have how many cures ?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Being naive about the reality of Cancer research is something I'm not.
     
    I'm grateful for the advances in treatment which is keeping my dad alive but my frustration is with billions upon billions spent and we have how many cures ?
    I don't know what you're saying. You complain that drug development is too profitable, but then state that we've spent too much money without many cures.

    Here's the bottom line ... you view cancer drug research as a black box where you put in money and get out cures. If you had even an inkling of the complexity of the cancer problem and the cost of finding and testing new drugs you wouldn't make blanket statements such as "we spend too much," or "we need more cures." The problem is above your pay grade. Hell, I work in drug discovery and development for cancer therapeutics, have a Ph.D. in genetics and it's above MY paygrade.

    If you want some validation for your thoughts, watch "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies" streaming on Amazon (free if you have Prime). It will explain things in ways you can understand and hopefully give you a deeper appreciation for the challenge. As I said, there are amazing minds working tirelessly on these problems, many of whom are my personal heros.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I don't know what you're saying. You complain that drug development is too profitable, but then state that we've spent too much money without many cures.

    Here's the bottom line ... you view cancer drug research as a black box where you put in money and get out cures. If you had even an inkling of the complexity of the cancer problem and the cost of finding and testing new drugs you wouldn't make blanket statements such as "we spend too much," or "we need more cures." The problem is above your pay grade. Hell, I work in drug discovery and development for cancer therapeutics, have a Ph.D. in genetics and it's above MY paygrade.

    If you want some validation for your thoughts, watch "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies" streaming on Amazon (free if you have Prime). It will explain things in ways you can understand and hopefully give you a deeper appreciation for the challenge. As I said, there are amazing minds working tirelessly on these problems, many of whom are my personal heros.
    Well said. I work in cancer diagnostics (not even close to the same pay grade as huckbucket) and cancer as a class of disease is almost unfathomably complex. +2 on Emperor of All Maladies, very informative watch.

    Also, I lost my dad and best friend to Leukemia at 51. Fuck Cancer indeed.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada eh
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I don't know what you're saying..
    you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Welcome to hotel TGR
    Such a lovely place.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    47,920
    Strong argument.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    5,749
    Jesus, huckbucket has a PhD and he still posts here with this bunch of hooligans as his audience. Unbelievable...

    And yes, fuck cancer. My mom's beaten it twice, my mother in law once, my aunt once, and my grandmother wasn't as successful.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    9,316
    The cure is right in front of our fucking noses. There needs to be the will to implement it. So it is not going to happen. It will wipe out a bunch of industries. Including Big Cancer.
    Bill Weld for President, 2020

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,371
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The cure is right in front of our fucking noses. There needs to be the will to implement it. So it is not going to happen. It will wipe out a bunch of industries. Including Big Cancer.
    Please point me to data supporting your claim that the cure is right in front of our noses. What do you know that I don't?

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    47,920
    Also, I'd like to know more about the simple device that will get me 200 MPG in my car that Big Oil is keeping from us.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,295
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Also, I'd like to know more about the simple device that will get me 200 MPG in my car that Big Oil is keeping from us.
    http://jalopnik.com/the-fuelshark-wo...bul-1479542390
    Done.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Drunkofmyassastan
    Posts
    605
    My wife's cancer is back. Oncologist says this new cancer is going to kill her within 5 years. Yes, FUCK cancer.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    47,920
    Really sorry to hear that man. But a lot can happen in 5 years, especially these days, so hang in there. Good luck.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Millsie View Post
    My wife's cancer is back. Oncologist says this new cancer is going to kill her within 5 years. Yes, FUCK cancer.
    Shit man, sorry. Couldn't even imagine.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Millsie View Post
    My wife's cancer is back. Oncologist says this new cancer is going to kill her within 5 years. Yes, FUCK cancer.
    God man ... that's terrible news. Sorry to hear it. Like Ice said, hang tight. In the meantime, get the oncologist to push to learn as much as possible about the cancer. Genomic profiling is blowing up and has done some amazing things in terms of matching patient to therapy. Look at companies like FMI and PGDx for these services. They aren't too costly if out of pocket That info could also help qualify her for a trial if things get really bad.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Millsie View Post
    My wife's cancer is back. Oncologist says this new cancer is going to kill her within 5 years. Yes, FUCK cancer.
    I'm so, so sorry.

    My 3 y.o. niece most likely has Stage 4 melanoma. Biopsy results are pending, but her oncologist was holding back tears last week when she told them what she saw on the CT films. Still holding out hope, but it's virtually certain that the biopsy results will be a mere formality. When/if that happens, I'm going to completely break down. Just thinking about what my SIL/BIL are experiencing right now makes me tear up.


  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm so, so sorry.

    My 3 y.o. niece most likely has Stage 4 melanoma. Biopsy results are pending, but her oncologist was holding back tears last week when she told them what she saw on the CT films. Still holding out hope, but it's virtually certain that the biopsy results will be a mere formality. When/if that happens, I'm going to completely break down. Just thinking about what my SIL/BIL are experiencing right now makes me tear up.

    This is so fucked up, fuck that. Things like this are why I'm sure there is no God.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    11,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Millsie View Post
    My wife's cancer is back. Oncologist says this new cancer is going to kill her within 5 years. Yes, FUCK cancer.
    Shit dude, sorry to hear that. I sincerely wish the best for you both. And yeah, advances are coming all the time.

    My wife just got a No Evidence of Disease diagnosis after a five year struggle with cancer. I hope it sticks this time.

    Fuck cancer, it's been the central fact of my life for too long.
    And I guess that I just don't know

  19. #69
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,587
    Vibes..... That little kid shit kills me.

    Fucking fuck fuckers....grrrrr
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  20. #70
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    12,378
    kind of amazing how nefarious & ubiquitous cancer is
    basically everyone i know has a family member or close friend who has dealt with it
    vibes to everyone above sharing their experiences!
    you are not alone!

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    47,920
    oh no, Dan. no words for that. sorry man.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,920
    ^ What he said. Fuck...

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I don't know what you're saying. You complain that drug development is too profitable, but then state that we've spent too much money without many cures.

    Here's the bottom line ... you view cancer drug research as a black box where you put in money and get out cures. If you had even an inkling of the complexity of the cancer problem and the cost of finding and testing new drugs you wouldn't make blanket statements such as "we spend too much," or "we need more cures." The problem is above your pay grade. Hell, I work in drug discovery and development for cancer therapeutics, have a Ph.D. in genetics and it's above MY paygrade.

    If you want some validation for your thoughts, watch "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies" streaming on Amazon (free if you have Prime). It will explain things in ways you can understand and hopefully give you a deeper appreciation for the challenge. As I said, there are amazing minds working tirelessly on these problems, many of whom are my personal heros.
    Thanks for doing what you do.

    The only issue I have (and this is a 'from the hip' statement) is that it appears that our FDA is too conservative when allowing people with life threatening cancer to give any drug a chance. I was just speaking with a guy who's family member was getting a drug from Canada because it was not allowed in the US. To me that is just crazy. His family member was given months to live and when he took this injection from Canada he lasted 5 years. Maybe it wasn't all the drug, but just the course of his disease or both, but still it just seems we have too many roadblocks. I'm blaming our litigious society.

    Fuck cancer and sorry to all those that are effected by it currently.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Church of the Nifty Blue Chrysler
    Posts
    5,106
    I'm really sorry to hear that, Dan, that is absolutely terrible.

    The woman I fucked it all up with also happens to be a cancer survivor. That shit is everywhere.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My wife just got a No Evidence of Disease diagnosis after a five year struggle with cancer. I hope it sticks this time.
    That's awesome. It's great to have some good news to balance out the crushing sadness that is most of this thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •