Page 38 of 62 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuck Cancer

Fuck Cancer

Thx for sharing otzi
    I hope recovery is quick, complete and permanent

Damn Ice. What an ordeal but it sounds like you put together the right plan & attitude. I’m no oncological dentist but it’s encouraging how many cancers have a 90+% treatable success rate.

I always hesitate to open this thread when it bumps.

Geez, J. I kind of figured something was up.

Sounds like hell. Head down, move forward. You've got good peeps around you, you're lucky like that.

Get that sea wind in your hair (or what's left of it).

But god damn, all the best, let's do some turns, bowl it up and reflect on our luck sometime soon.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Damn Icemang, that was tough to read. Glad you’re past the worst of it.
    Keep on, Keeping on
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’m very sorry to hear that Millsie, best of luck going forward.

Iceman, thanks for sharing. I’m sorry for your pain, but thrilled you’re past all that (hopefully for good). Head down. Love it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Thanks for the well wishes fellas. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    How long were you in pain after your hip replacement?

I had mine 3 weeks ago and I'm still low on energy and some pain.
    By then it was getting better but it lingered a while. But the hip had to be replaced because it deteriorated after the pelvis smash, so that whole area was messed up, I wasn't a textbook case by any means. It still hurts sometimes and it's been over a year. But I have good strength and mobility, and it was definitely worth it.

Bonesmart was a good resource for me, lots of folks on there going through the same stuff and others who've been through it, check it out: https://bonesmart.org/forum/categories/hip-area.3/

I hate this thread, but glad to read that everyone is fighting like hell. And damn, ice, you post pretty well for a dude who's been going through some shit.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I never check this thread because it's way too frightening and depressing, but damn ice, that's rough. I'm glad to read that your outcome is positive (maybe negative is better word)

Also, what Danno said. We'd never have known based on your sharp and witty as ever posts.

"head down keep typing"

The Obstacle is the Way- Marcus Aurelius

Vibes my man. Memento Mori. Thank you for sharing. You ever come to the spooky desert Southwest I’ve got room for you.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Growing in numbers
    Growing in speed
    Can't fight the future
    Can't fight what I see
    People they come together
    People they fall apart
    No one can stop us now
    'Cause we are all made of stars

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Well I mean you could probably fill a decent-sized swimming pool with all the butts I smoked, a few once in a while, I wouldn't worry that much.
    Its been off and on since about 1995. That's a lot of beers and probably too many darts.

Damn J,

You are a magnet for physical ailments! Sorry about the mouth struggles, sounds tough. Head down and keep on keeping on for your girls.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

No shit, right? I could write a book but nobody would believe it. But I keep rallying from stuff and I don't plan on stopping now

fknaright. Good luck going forward. And to Millsie and Jen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Jesus, I'm so sorry. What are you hoping to get out of the chemo and is it really worth the suffering the chemo will cause? It's crushing to say this, but this is starting to sound like a situation where palliative care is preferable.
    Thought about for sure. Jen says she is not ready to go yet. Things to do. We will see how bad it gets. We have considered every option. Still waiting to hear from oncologist about the plan. And if you saw her you wouldn't kn ow she was sick.

Sending strength and love to you Ice.

Condolences Millsie1

Thinking about all of you fighting the good fight. Hoping for good news for you all.
    In with the 9.

First, Millsie I’m so, so sorry for what you and the missus are going through. It takes inordinate strength, and I wish that for you both from my heart.

Ice, Jesus, dude. What a fucking struggle. I’m impressed all to hell with your fortitude. Way to hang. And I’m sorry for what’s happened.

I’m currently visiting a friend that was diagnosed and is under treatment for prostate cancer. I’ve got a little precautionary story, though. People that follow this thread might know I lost my wonderful wife over three years ago to ovarian cancer. During her 7 year struggle, I pretty much neglected my checkups and such, and when I finally went in, my PSA was slightly elevated.

So I went to the urologist and got a biopsy. When I went to get the results the urologist had results that said I was in really bad shape, with possible metastasis and I needed radical surgery stat. I had the procedure (pictures of the cuts upthread) and I spent 12 days on my couch, gobbling oxy with a bag of piss strapped to my leg for the catheter. (I don’t have any problem with opiates - I take them when needed by the fistful, but just stop when I’m done. Lucky that way)

But when I went in for the follow up and to get the catheter pulled, there was a problem. The lab biopsy of my prostate didn’t find cancer. Seems my biopsy samples got mixed up at the clinic with some other dude’s who had the same first name as me. That guy had really advanced prostate cancer, I didn’t. How about that shit? So, I would advise people to be sure about what they’re being told and that procedures are followed carefully. It was a freak thing in my case, but…. And the other guy is in deep shit, health-wise.

tl;dr: Get second and back-up opinions. I should have done some double-checking. This was all over two years ago.

And fuck cancer. Just fuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    First, Millsie I’m so, so sorry for what you and the missus are going through. It takes inordinate strength, and I wish that for you both from my heart.

Ice, Jesus, dude. What a fucking struggle. I’m impressed all to hell with your fortitude. Way to hang. And I’m sorry for what’s happened.

I’m currently visiting a friend that was diagnosed and is under treatment for prostate cancer. I’ve got a little precautionary story, though. People that follow this thread might know I lost my wonderful wife over three years ago to ovarian cancer. During her 7 year struggle, I pretty much neglected my checkups and such, and when I finally went in, my PSA was slightly elevated.

So I went to the urologist and got a biopsy. When I went to get the results the urologist had results that said I was in really bad shape, with possible metastasis and I needed radical surgery stat. I had the procedure (pictures of the cuts upthread) and I spent 12 days on my couch, gobbling oxy with a bag of piss strapped to my leg for the catheter. (I don’t have any problem with opiates - I take them when needed by the fistful, but just stop when I’m done. Lucky that way)

But when I went in for the follow up and to get the catheter pulled, there was a problem. The lab biopsy of my prostate didn’t find cancer. Seems my biopsy samples got mixed up at the clinic with some other dude’s who had the same first name as me. That guy had really advanced prostate cancer, I didn’t. How about that shit? So, I would advise people to be sure about what they’re being told and that procedures are followed carefully. It was a freak thing in my case, but…. And the other guy is in deep shit, health-wise.

tl;dr: Get second and back-up opinions. I should have done some double-checking. This was all over two years ago.

And fuck cancer. Just fuck it.
    Holy fucking shit man! That's insane.

Potential incontinence and erectile disfunction plus the risk of surgery. Jesus Christ.

JFC, that's insane. I'm the first person to decry our overly-litigious society, but that level of malpractice is exactly the kind of shit that warrants a lawsuit.

You say it was a "freak thing" but it's shockingly common. Medical errors kill ~250,000 Americans per year, third leading cause of death: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28186008/ Who knows how many non-lethal yet still totally fucked incident like yours occur.

It got mixed up because he had the same first name as you? FFS! If your first name was Vizzini or some shit like that, I could accept that excuse. But that is fucking absurd when you have a common name.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hey Vizzini, errr...Meadow Skipper wtf? That's bananas. Well at least you're rich now, right? Right?

When I went in for surgery I was still completely symptomless. I couldn't even feel the thing in my mouth. The surgeon came to check on me when I was getting prepped and I was like, "Now, you're absolutely sure you got the right guy, right?" He didn't think it was funny, he just said yes. Oh well it was worth checking.

Millsie, thanks so much. If you can spare the love I'll take it with thanks. You keep the strength, I'm doing okay and you need as much as you can get. But I really appreciate it man.

I wish strength for all of you dealing with this shit.

I think I mentioned by step dad's cancer situation somewhere back in this thread. There is some hope in his story so I'll share some more. 5 and a half years ago he was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer that had spread all through his lungs. Doctor's predicted he'd live 1-1.5 years. He has deteriorated a bit each year (living on chemo long term, especially when you're in your 70's, will do that to you) but he's skied over 400 days since the diagnosis (some times he wears TWO Patagonia Fitz Roy jackets to stay warm enough). When the chemo stops slowing the spread (he's on the second and last available option at near the maximum dose now) there are two immuno therapies to try. Neither existed when all this started.

Covid cancelled the ski season in Italy (where he's from) last season, but we managed to make some decent early season pow turns at Monarch when he was visiting:
    Name:  PXL_20201211_210807987.LS_exported_3931_1607723422769.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  33.1 KB

He sent me these pics of Val Mesdi a couple seasons back with the caption, "Probably my best ski day ever:"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	378369
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	913.5 KB 
ID:	378372

Hoping I can over there this year and we can ski it together again (at least) one more time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	912.5 KB 
ID:	378370