Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    there is nothing 'ironic' about any of this, but we will let you off the hook this time Dunfee.

No doubt there was collaboration, and yes POWDER awards are for skiers ... it just seems fucking weird that in all of Codys interviews about the line, he drops plenty of other names, and gives cred to lots of other people, but fails to mention Rice.

If it played out they way twitter says it did, then that would be like climbing a route and setting all the gear, and having you buddy second it and take all the cred. it just seems weird.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

So does this mean the TGR Nun's C*** group buy is on hold?
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    I just love the irony of all this claiming and back and forth going down on social media when these two guys were relatively close together when it happened in the middle of fucking nowhere both doing something crazy. Not sure I captured the essence of what I meant by that but hey! Skiers win!
    This was the point I was trying to make. It's a sick line, and two different sports's top guys shredded it and that's awesome and all that matters. Baby bear, I wasn't calling Travis catty, I was calling the OP catty for posting such gossipy nonsense.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    This was the point I was trying to make. It's a sick line, and two different sports's top guys shredded it and that's awesome and all that matters. Baby bear, I wasn't calling Travis catty, I was calling the OP catty for posting such gossipy nonsense.
    Oh fuck off. Its not like I made the fucking claim on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    how may different ways can anybody ski that line? the feature is pretty limiting isn't it?
    Limiting, but definitely multiple ways to ski/ride that line.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Limiting, but definitely multiple ways to ski/ride that line.
    Tanner Hall is already planning on riding it switch.

I heard it on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    there is nothing 'ironic' about any of this, but we will let you off the hook this time Dunfee.

No doubt there was collaboration, and yes POWDER awards are for skiers ... it just seems fucking weird that in all of Codys interviews about the line, he drops plenty of other names, and gives cred to lots of other people, but fails to mention Rice.

If it played out they way twitter says it did, then that would be like climbing a route and setting all the gear, and having you buddy second it and take all the cred. it just seems weird.
    I haven't delved into twittersphere for this yet... is there a cliff's notes version, other than brainfarm saying Trav did it first?

While Charles Darwin sat on his revolutionary theory for 20 years, terrified of his conservative contemporaries, Wallace boldly set out to solve the great problem of the origin of species. Not afraid to announce unorthodox views, Wallace published a radically innovative theory of evolution (minus only natural selection) in an 1855 paper.

Then, while on the island of Gilolo and prompted by thoughts about the local races, Wallace hit on the idea of the struggle for existence and natural selection. He immediately wrote up his theory and posted it to Darwin on the next mail steamer.

Darwin, however, withheld the paper for perhaps two weeks before he let it become known. During this time, according to some, Darwin stole some ideas to use in his own otherwise identical theory.

Rather than having Wallace's paper published immediately on its own, which was normal practice at the time, Darwin's friends cooked up a scheme to rob the working-class Wallace of his priority and instead put their friend Darwin first. Papers by both men were read at a scientific meeting in 1858, but Darwin is remembered as the discoverer of the theory because his contribution was placed first.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Let's back up here - is Cody claiming first descent?
    Anybody got objective proof that Travis Rice did it first?
    Is Powder claiming anything other than Cody slayed the biggest.fuckin.line with the most steeze of any skier in this years crop of movies?

Not slagging anyone here, just wondering if there's something beyond some guy spewing on Twitter.
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

Both Rice and Townsend rip, and I'd wager neither one of them care about this debate. Filmers, sponsors and tagalong jock sniffers care a lot more about this than anybody else.

Gotta like this young crew of new rippers who seem to have much smaller egos. A couple of gopros between friends can equal the full pro deal and film segments after just one season.

Oh fuck off. Its not like I made the fucking claim on twitter.
    No but you were spreading gossip.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Tanner Hall is already planning on riding it switch.
    I'm pretty sure Tanner Hall is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I'm pretty sure Tanner Hall is dead.
    Phew, had me worried there. Turns out Tanner Hall isn't dead, but Google says that he's a movie about a randy English girls school now.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Alright, so here it goes. Travis did do it first, but until that photo of him just came out there was almost no confirmation of that for me. So here's the full backstory.

The MSP crew showed up to AK and I had the chance to high-five and chat with Travis before we headed into the mountains. Over our talks he mentioned a really amazing straightline that E-Jack did. Didn't say anything about himself, what straightline E-jack did or where it was. I brought up a straightline I had been looking at for the last two years in that zone (not the one I did) he knew which one I was talking about, we chatted about it, we high-fived and went our ways. When we flew out I then learned our guides and pilots wouldn't be the same as theirs. Which at first bummed me out from a safety standpoint because our guides were coming into the zone with as much knowledge of the year's snowpack as we were, nada. But I didn't worry cause it was my third time out there, I've flown in almost every corner of that zone and knew it really well. We would take our time as a crew, scouting snow and evaluating lines to ski. I've since learned that was a purposeful thing that Brainfarm had requested so we wouldn't "poach" their lines. Which is the first I've ever heard of that happening. But again, at the time, I was merely focused on the safety issue that new guides and new pilots brought up, not any reason to ski their lines as I've never had a problem in the past of finding lines in AK.

On day 1 we flew out and evaluated the fact that the snow fucking sucked. We found one zone with a miniscule amount of soft snow, shot for a half a day and then sat on our asses for ten days as the sun baked and no new snow came. We flew back out and found a dusting of snow out there, nothing that made anything to ski any more viable. So we scouted and scouted. Our brains started shifting from big hucks and tricks to big lines with no airs because of the hard snow. We flew into a zone I knew of that was stacked with couloirs. I spotted one and immediately thought, "Oh shit, that's maybe the one that E-jack did that Travis was talking about" as we flew further up the glacier I then found the one in the video. When I first saw it I didn't even think it would go. With time on our side, I went up to the top, scouted it from above and below and began daydreaming. We went home that day with tales of an insane couloir with a full barrel and the crew at the lodge talked about some insane lines the last crew rode. I guessed it was where we were but didn't know for sure as there were no visible tracks in both the couloirs I spotted. Since our guides and pilots were different, they couldn't confirm either. Well actually one of their pilots came out on the tail end of the trip but had actually been forced to sign a NDA with Brainfarm and didn't say a damn word with the threat of legal action. After it finally snowed enough, well I went back and rode that one in the video and Markus rode the other one. We had pretty much forgot about the possibility of the other guy's riding those lines too until we heard grumblings of it when the movie launched. But again, never heard any true confirmation till that picture came out.

So that's the story. Travis rode it first. Unbeknown to me, I rode it second. We released the footage first because they're working on a 3 year project. I didn't know for sure who or what was ridden until that photo came out. For the record, there doesn't seem to be much angst coming from their side. It's the mountains, lines don't change too much, so if two people ride it, then that's they way it's gonna be. If we starting all claiming that the second time something is ridden it's a poach, well then Jeremy Jones, Doug Coombs, Dean Cummings and a whole mess of first generation guys should be pissed!

So fun to read this^^ thanks for posting the definitive answer!

Ha ha... plausible enough, but super coincidental! Thanks for clarifying and addressing the drama.

Both of you are absolute gnar champions and rest assured, I would still hire either of you to be my stunt double...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

spook Guest
    who the fuck names their kid ejac? why not just call him splooge?

Slaying it first and straight up slaying it are two different things, easy choice for me but I guess we'll have to wait 3 years to confirm who pwned it that trip. It's gonna be hard to top what's already been released. Cheers

cliff notes

brainfarm was worried enough about these guys poaching lines that they had there guide on a NDA and requested there guides didnt go out with his crew.

before they ever went out, they knew rice rode some crazy shit, and they KNEW brainfarm was hoping not to get poached.

they scouted for a week, found the line, and poached it anyways.

cheers, i don't belive u didnt know, espcially after " We went home that day with tales of an insane couloir with a full barrel and the crew at the lodge talked about some insane lines the last crew rode."

so they just happened to know about the lines, but didnt know it was a crazy unquie full barrel. you knew exactly what you were doing.

i know u dont care what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    We released the footage first because they're working on a 3 year project.
    Chinese Democracy. You snooze, you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    No but you were spreading gossip.
    It's not gossip any more, sorry confirmed and clarified. TGR delivers as usual.

Rice named it" Elyse".

Way to keep it classy dude^^

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Alright, so here it goes. Travis did do it first, but until that photo of him just came out there was almost no confirmation of that for me. So here's the full backstory.

The MSP crew showed up to AK and I had the chance to high-five and chat with Travis before we headed into the mountains. Over our talks he mentioned a really amazing straightline that E-Jack did. Didn't say anything about himself, what straightline E-jack did or where it was. I brought up a straightline I had been looking at for the last two years in that zone (not the one I did) he knew which one I was talking about, we chatted about it, we high-fived and went our ways. When we flew out I then learned our guides and pilots wouldn't be the same as theirs. Which at first bummed me out from a safety standpoint because our guides were coming into the zone with as much knowledge of the year's snowpack as we were, nada. But I didn't worry cause it was my third time out there, I've flown in almost every corner of that zone and knew it really well. We would take our time as a crew, scouting snow and evaluating lines to ski. I've since learned that was a purposeful thing that Brainfarm had requested so we wouldn't "poach" their lines. Which is the first I've ever heard of that happening. But again, at the time, I was merely focused on the safety issue that new guides and new pilots brought up, not any reason to ski their lines as I've never had a problem in the past of finding lines in AK.

On day 1 we flew out and evaluated the fact that the snow fucking sucked. We found one zone with a miniscule amount of soft snow, shot for a half a day and then sat on our asses for ten days as the sun baked and no new snow came. We flew back out and found a dusting of snow out there, nothing that made anything to ski any more viable. So we scouted and scouted. Our brains started shifting from big hucks and tricks to big lines with no airs because of the hard snow. We flew into a zone I knew of that was stacked with couloirs. I spotted one and immediately thought, "Oh shit, that's maybe the one that E-jack did that Travis was talking about" as we flew further up the glacier I then found the one in the video. When I first saw it I didn't even think it would go. With time on our side, I went up to the top, scouted it from above and below and began daydreaming. We went home that day with tales of an insane couloir with a full barrel and the crew at the lodge talked about some insane lines the last crew rode. I guessed it was where we were but didn't know for sure as there were no visible tracks in both the couloirs I spotted. Since our guides and pilots were different, they couldn't confirm either. Well actually one of their pilots came out on the tail end of the trip but had actually been forced to sign a NDA with Brainfarm and didn't say a damn word with the threat of legal action. After it finally snowed enough, well I went back and rode that one in the video and Markus rode the other one. We had pretty much forgot about the possibility of the other guy's riding those lines too until we heard grumblings of it when the movie launched. But again, never heard any true confirmation till that picture came out.

So that's the story. Travis rode it first. Unbeknown to me, I rode it second. We released the footage first because they're working on a 3 year project. I didn't know for sure who or what was ridden until that photo came out. For the record, there doesn't seem to be much angst coming from their side. It's the mountains, lines don't change too much, so if two people ride it, then that's they way it's gonna be. If we starting all claiming that the second time something is ridden it's a poach, well then Jeremy Jones, Doug Coombs, Dean Cummings and a whole mess of first generation guys should be pissed!
    high fived huh?

thought that was only done on film.

Sick run!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
    cliff notes

brainfarm was worried enough about these guys poaching lines that they had there guide on a NDA and requested there guides didnt go out with his crew.

before they ever went out, they knew rice rode some crazy shit, and they KNEW brainfarm was hoping not to get poached.

they scouted for a week, found the line, and poached it anyways.

cheers, i don't belive u didnt know, espcially after " We went home that day with tales of an insane couloir with a full barrel and the crew at the lodge talked about some insane lines the last crew rode."

so they just happened to know about the lines, but didnt know it was a crazy unquie full barrel. you knew exactly what you were doing.

i know u dont care what I think.
    I'll break it down a little bit.

1. Full barrel couloir was a term we never heard from anyone actually. Actually it was never truly described by anyone that way. Generally "The Vagina" was the term most thrown around. So...

2. Talking to the lodge crew about some crazy couloir we found means cooks and lodge workers who don't go out in the heli, have rarely if ever skied in their life and have no idea what's really going on in the mountains out there.

3. It's not uncommon to hear tales of the crew before, or the other crew on the other side of the ridge, or the crew in some other part of Alaska, doing insane shit and totally killing it It happens all the time. Sometimes it's total BS. Sometimes it's totally true. All of the time you never know until the footage comes out.

In conclusion, I was never certain any of those guys had ridden that line. I had my suspicions. But why the fuck would you ever back down from a line you've been searching for and dreaming about for years because you suspect someone else might have ridden it before you.