Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,083

    Budget tracking apps/sites?

    Trying to get a better handle on household spending. I have a budget, but I don't have an easy way to compare what I actually spend to the theoretical budget. I realize that the brute force method -- saving every receipt and entering it all on the spreadsheet -- is one option, but thinking that a) there must be some apps/websites that do this, and b) the Padded Room must have people who have used them. Any suggestions?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    where the rough and fluff live
    Posts
    4,185
    pencil, paper, and calculator if your brain is fried from too much NPR/PBS

    danno too busy being a junior lawyer (i.e. slave) to know how to add and subtract?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    2,888
    Checkout Mint.

    Just know they are using all that info to sell you shit.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    11,772
    quicken has budgeting and the ability to create reports to see where your money's going
    (it's going to dining/drinking out & gear, btw)
    you pay for the desktop app and can get the mobile apps for free

    [edit] this won't get you out of entering all your receipts

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,083
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    pencil, paper, and calculator if your brain is fried from too much NPR/PBS

    danno too busy being a junior lawyer (i.e. slave) to know how to add and subtract?
    Reading comprehension is not your friend. And you really don't know nearly as much about me as you like to think you do.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,340
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    quicken has budgeting and the ability to create reports to see where your money's going
    (it's going to dining/drinking out & gear, btw)
    you pay for the desktop app and can get the mobile apps for free

    [edit] this won't get you out of entering all your receipts
    Quicken will interface with most bank/credit card company websites to automatically download your transactions if you're a lazy fuck.
    I enter them all in manually and use it to reconcile my statements and make sure I'm not mischarged and there's no fraudulent charges (caught a few over the years this way).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    184
    I like the "Home Budget" app. I just enter each charge on my phone when I spend $$ (takes 10 sec) and you can sync it with other users. Mint is a good option too but it automatically enters everything and I found that I was having to go and reclass a lot of their transactions to the correct account. I found that the act of manually entering each transaction in the Home Budget app gave me a better sense of how I was spending.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    where the rough and fluff live
    Posts
    4,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Reading comprehension is not your friend. And you really don't know nearly as much about me as you like to think you do.
    how ironic you'd say that. did you look in a mirror as you composed it?

    I don't think you know anything like what you imagine you do, Narcissus. besides, paper and pencil still will do the job, app be damned regardless, and maybe you should stop and think about why you need an app for this? do you use an app to wipe your ass after you shit? maybe you don't even wipe!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    270
    Quicken is the best with the most platforms, Windows and Mac, and the most extras.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lost in Time
    Posts
    290
    we use mint...pretty slick and links with banks, credit cards, retirement, etc....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    8,266
    We also use Mint.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

    *))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*


    www.skiclinics.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    5,598
    Another recco for mint. We have all our accounts linked to it and it gives us a very nice overview of our income, expenses, and investments. It does require some management since it's not able to correctly categorize every purchase without a little input but once you get used to checking it and adjusting the categories for your spending then it's a very effective tool.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,451
    I, too, use Mint. The #1 result from entering "Budget Tracking" into Google.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    11,772
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Quicken will interface with most bank/credit card company websites to automatically download your transactions if you're a lazy fuck.
    I enter them all in manually and use it to reconcile my statements and make sure I'm not mischarged and there's no fraudulent charges (caught a few over the years this way).
    we do the same
    no need for quicken to have access to my bank anyway...just another security hole to worry about

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    11,772
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    maybe you should stop and think about why you need an app for this?
    it will crunch months or years of numbers in a second or two?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,276
    Set up a spreadsheet with some pivot tables, macro and conditional formatting if you want to get fancy on downloads. I just code the type of expenses from my bank/cc statements after importing them into spreadsheet.

    No way I am going to trust and app to access and look over my bank and other financial accts. no way
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,083
    mint is what I keep hearing here and elsewhere, and it does have some appeal. But some have said that the amount of time reclassifying stuff made it not worth it for them, and like Rip'nStick, I do have some qualms about giving it access to all my financial info.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryon1 View Post
    I like the "Home Budget" app. I just enter each charge on my phone when I spend $$ (takes 10 sec) and you can sync it with other users. Mint is a good option too but it automatically enters everything and I found that I was having to go and reclass a lot of their transactions to the correct account. I found that the act of manually entering each transaction in the Home Budget app gave me a better sense of how I was spending.
    I may try this as an alternative, thanks.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    270
    One other nice thing about Quicken is it makes using Turbo Tax cheaper (a fellow Intuit product with discounts) and easier.

    Not sure about the fear of letting a program download your financial records for you. It's just downloading the monthly statements and activity. The bank interface is one of the nice features.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,123
    Have you looked at SAP?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    seatown
    Posts
    3,235
    i use mint just for the general snapshot. if it doesn't provide everything you're looking for, take a look at YNAB (you need a budget).

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    11,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Have you looked at SAP?
    no archiving capability

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,508
    I tried to ditch Mint when I realized it didnt have a hookers and blow privacy module. For as cool as it seemed, you guys just wait until you try to disassociate. I would be hard-pressed to think of a higher cost of attrition service out there. I've finally been able to whittle their sticky fingers down to spam emails every week and am pessimistically hopeful that previous bank connections/info are destroyed.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Among Greatness All Around
    Posts
    5,169
    A number of Android apps out there- some are basic check register type with capabilities of categories- Import the bank info from your E-Bank (most support comma delimited or other standard formats) into Excel and the data from the phone app also. mooLa Personal Finance app would be one to look at and investigate if you have Droid.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    2,888
    Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    I tried to ditch Mint when I realized it didnt have a hookers and blow privacy module. For as cool as it seemed, you guys just wait until you try to disassociate. I would be hard-pressed to think of a higher cost of attrition service out there. I've finally been able to whittle their sticky fingers down to spam emails every week and am pessimistically hopeful that previous bank connections/info are destroyed.
    Similar experience, but I got new bank accounts.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Movin' On
    Posts
    2,195
    I use Mint for tracking day to day expenses and I have a spreadsheet that I built to track and forecast income, savings, investments and net worth over time at a high level.

    I hear good things about YNAB as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •