Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    It was raining in Tahoe on Saturday night, so I decided to take advantage of my free June tickets.

Found soft, very sluffy windpacked pow most of the way and Sierra cement at the bottom third. I'm grateful that I was able to follow a splitboarder's tracks (which appeared to be the first of the season) down the plumb because I had no idea where I was going and couldn't tell what went from the top. Pretty cool area though.

As for greater Bridgeport to June conditions . . . . it's too early. You'd have to get up really high. The further westward toward the crest, the better.

I always told friends that the first edition was a a good investment, but this isn't quite what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I always told friends that the first edition was a good investment but this isn't quite what I meant.
    That price is a bit steep, for half that price I'll sell both editions and donate $100 of that to the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center, everyone wins

nice of them to include free shipping.

Thanks for the photos AKbruin

How far are you able to drive up Tioga pass right now from Lee Vining?

Eastern Sierra BC 2014-15

Five miles.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/di...php?page=sr120

Also:

"The road corridor is the most user friendly place for skiing. Snow line to the east of Tioga Pass starts just above Ellery Lake Dam. Numerous visitors are bicycling to this point as Lee Vining Canyon has a locked gate at the bottom. There are a few small patches of dry pavement between Tioga Pass and Tuolumne Meadows. Otherwise, coverage and conditions are good for covering the miles. It is fast travel for skiers entering from the east park boundary at Tioga Pass to Tuolumne Meadows!"

http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Update...ry-21-2015.htm
    Last edited by Marhankins; 01-21-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Perfect Thanks!, as I had biking up in mind

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    How far are you able to drive up Tioga pass right now from Lee Vining?
    The normal gate is still closed right past the powerhouse turnoff. I drove up there yesterday. You know this already but watch your head past that blue slide mess.

S-chute on conness. Git sum. You didn't get studs to be a pussy did you?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Riding a bike with a ski pack up that hill sounds worse than any approach you could do on foot. I guess you get to coast down, but man that is some pain on the back going up.

I wonder if they would frown on using a vespa to get up there. I don't think there's anything saying you can't use something motorized. It's not wilderness. Legally, a bike and a scooter should be the same.

I met up with a dude using a tiny dirtbike to get to bloody col several years ago. he's a genius in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I wonder if they would frown on using a vespa to get up there. I don't think there's anything saying you can't use something motorized. It's not wilderness. Legally, a bike and a scooter should be the same.
    I would think it would be fine, I have a buddy in Tahoe with an old honda 50 he can usually get around or under closure gates with. The new E-bikes bikes coming out should be great for this also.

I'm working on trying to get one of these rack mounts for tech bindings, the company that made this prototype was trying to get 20 pre orders to take it to production later this month.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I would think it would be fine, I have a buddy in Tahoe with an old honda 50 he can usually get around or under closure gates with. The new E-bikes bikes coming out should be great for this also.

I'm working on trying to get one of these rack mounts for tech bindings, the company that made this prototype was trying to get 20 pre orders to take it to production later this month.

That thing is beautiful.

Unfortunately it looks like there not gonna have enough orders to take it to production, they are extending till the end of the month, but it sounds like I will be getting my money back.

http://boobicycles.com/bikes/ski-mounts/

Looks like I need a fat bike, a quad, one of those new motosnowmachines, and a scooter and I'll be ready to slay backcountry lines anywhere.

A bit more info from the Park Service here:
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Update...ry-21-2015.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

So . . . did this recent storm deliver much snow up high? Where was the general rain/snow cutoff?

It's a totally bullshit year when wildfires are destroying homes in the Eastern Sierra in February.

It's a totally bullshit year when wildfires are destroying homes in the Eastern Sierra in February.
    It will be a tough job fighting fires this summer, if this is how it is going in winter. Sorry to hear people lost their homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

So, Bridgeport has an avalanche center. I didn't know that, but it fills a pretty big void since I always had to guestimate conditions in that area between Tahoe- and Mammoth-centric reports. It seems to focus on Sonora Pass, which makes sense given the number of sledders there in the winter.

I'm thinking of day-tripping VA Lakes this weekend (stupid Valentine's Day). Any info on conditions?

^^^Thanks for that, it must be new.

Last I heard, Mammoth had rain to 10,000' What a screwy year (last three years, actually.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Shit year #4.

So . . . did this recent storm deliver much snow up high? Where was the general rain/snow cutoff?

Looks like ass south of bridgeport. 9k snowlines down into bishop.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Looks like ass south of bridgeport. 9k snowlines down into bishop.
    Well.... Shasta it is. Kidwoo, you want to go?

Sonora Pass had a low of 42* last night and is probably gonna have highs in the 60's this weekend. Damn it, damn it, damn it.

How's Downieville looking these days?

Maybe take a full rig of toys north, D-Ville on Saturday then up to Lassen Sunday & Monday, of course I'm hoping KT reopens for Pres weekend so I'd hope to be late to the D-ville party.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.