Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    hoping to take the plunge on these for next season (maybe a bit of spring too if I can get them setup in time). Does anyone have a suggestion where to get a good end of season deal on a 27.5 factory? Willing to buy used also as long as they aren't beat to shit. I'll be replacing the liners anyway
    Not sure about the factory but a buddy picked up his lupo carbons from telemark pyrenees for a decent deal. I think he saved about $250. They arrived in 4 or 5 days too

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I waited a while trying to find some used, with no luck. I bought 28.5 Factorys on steep and cheap recently for $650, not sure whether any are left. I'd also check Level9, I remember they had some as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A few photos of my flex improving and lean adjustment mods.

It have for a long time annoyed me how Lupos stiffens up in cold weather making my shins ache. And since I've thought for a long time they dont have as smooth lineare flex as they could have due to friction betweene shell and cuff. So I decided to remove the rubber "seals" in the rear and voila! Noticeably less breakaway force and smoother flex overall.

I first tried it on my old worn out Lupo Carbon and did cut away some plastic from the edges of the gap in the rear to make them slide smooth inside the cuff and not catch on the lump under the aki-walk mode buckle.

On my new Lupo AX I filled the gap on the side the edge catches with epoxy putty. (The white stuff in the photos)

Sent fra min Moto G (5) Plus via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bioicon View Post

It have for a long time annoyed me how Lupos stiffens up in cold weather making my shins ache. And since I've thought for a long time they dont have as smooth lineare flex as they could have due to friction betweene shell and cuff. So I decided to remove the rubber "seals" in the rear and voila! Noticeably less breakaway force and smoother flex overall.

I first tried it on my old worn out Lupo Carbon and did cut away some plastic from the edges of the gap in the rear to make them slide smooth inside the cuff and not catch on the lump under the aki-walk mode buckle.

On my new Lupo AX I filled the gap on the side the edge catches with epoxy putty. (The white stuff in the photos)

Isn't a lot of snow going to get in that hole?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Isn't a lot of snow going to get in that hole?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    The hole / opening in the shell is pretymuch filled by the liner, so not much room for any snow to collect so it can melt inside the boot.
    Maybe some snow can be packed up on the inside of the cuff if walking in deep snow. I will Investigate the further on..

The hole / opening in the shell is pretymuch filled by the liner, so not much room for any snow to collect so it can melt inside the boot.
    Maybe some snow can be packed up on the inside of the cuff if walking in deep snow. I will Investigate the further on..

Can you post some videos of it flexing, and pics zoomed further out? I’m curious.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Can you post some videos of it flexing, and pics zoomed further out? I’m curious.
    Unfortunately my sore back won't let me flex boots properly for a few days for doing a video.
    But here's a zoomed out photo. Just tell me what angle you want to see more of.
    Regarding flex I definitely feel its softer from the start.
    I will swap over to the carbon cuff on one boot and ski one of each for few days asap to see if there's any noticeable difference

Interesting mods. Here's mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190411_225532.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	278166

In tour mode, my AX120s' cuffs had more mid-range stiction than seemed optimal, and an energy-sucking "click" transitioning from the rearmost flex point back toward center that took me forever to figure out (as I couldn't replicate it without my leg being in it).

The mid-range stiction was obvious enough: you can see the gummy residue from plastic-on-plastic wear between the rear cuff and the main body. The gummy residue also identified exactly where the boot shell components were actually rubbing against each other. I guess one could just dry-lube the contact areas... but I figured the better, longer-lasting solution was to add adhesive-backed sheet Teflon as bearings. That would be the large white (and yes, asymmetrical) patches roughly midway down the rear cuff.

The small pieces of sheet Teflon near the top of the cuff are the solutions to the near end-of-range clicking problem. See, I am using the stock liner... and that has a material junction in the back near the top. The attached photo was taken to show this junction: the spongy and perforated top edge of the liner -> junction -> firm and shape-defining back of the liner. That junction is what was catching on the waffling/ribs coming back from the extreme of rearward flex. I could either round that part of the waffling/ribs so that it would catch less... or simply fill up the waffle relief area (didn't have to be sheet Teflon, but why not?) so there was less of an edge. So the latter was what I did.

The boot is now *much* more friction-free in tour mode, and the click is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DtEW View Post
    Interesting mods. Here's mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190411_225532.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	278166

In tour mode, my AX120s' cuffs had more mid-range stiction than seemed optimal, and an energy-sucking "click" transitioning from the rearmost flex point back toward center that took me forever to figure out (as I couldn't replicate it without my leg being in it).

The mid-range stiction was obvious enough: you can see the gummy residue from plastic-on-plastic wear between the rear cuff and the main body. The gummy residue also identified exactly where the boot shell components were actually rubbing against each other. I guess one could just dry-lube the contact areas... but I figured the better, longer-lasting solution was to add adhesive-backed sheet Teflon as bearings. That would be the large white (and yes, asymmetrical) patches roughly midway down the rear cuff.

The small pieces of sheet Teflon near the top of the cuff are the solutions to the near end-of-range clicking problem. See, I am using the stock liner... and that has a material junction in the back near the top. The attached photo was taken to show this junction: the spongy and perforated top edge of the liner -> junction -> firm and shape-defining back of the liner. That junction is what was catching on the waffling/ribs coming back from the extreme of rearward flex. I could either round that part of the waffling/ribs so that it would catch less... or simply fill up the waffle relief area (didn't have to be sheet Teflon, but why not?) so there was less of an edge. So the latter was what I did.

The boot is now *much* more friction-free in tour mode, and the click is gone.
    This is great. I've noticed similar friction, and might give this a shot. Could you provide exactly what tape you are using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XO3S1A6

It's apparently something people put on the bottom of their dance shoes. Which seems insane(ly prone to facilitating faceplants) to me... but obviously I'm not a dancer.

So I toured my lupo blue ax120 with tecton today. Just left tongue flapped forward and only used power strap on the up. 2-3k of travel with 800 or so vert.

It was a great shake out of gear and they performed great. Good ROM and easy comfort. I have old tour power wrap in and like it.

Om the down they felt like my full tilt just lighter and quicker. Good flex but very stable. I’m sold on this model or me at 6-2 and 175 lbs
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

It seems like for those in the great-wide-middle of usage (i.e. neither fleaweight rando racers nor balls-out freeride bombers) this is a feasible one (pair) boot quiver, right?

I need more time on them but it could maybe be a one boot quiver for lighter folks who ski a lot of pow
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I need more time on them but it could maybe be a one boot quiver for lighter folks who ski a lot of pow
    I’m trying real hard to make next season’s HD my quiver of one boot with a couple different tongues & some new (narrower) clamps.

Dalbello Lupo T.I / AT ?

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    I’m trying real hard to make next season’s HD my quiver of one boot with a couple different tongues & some new (narrower) clamps.
    My 2016 lupo T.I. have 120 days on them. Definitely a little softer and beat up. Broken buckles, etc. really like the look of the 2020 HD for inbounds/sidecountry. Will stick with the zero g pro tour for full backcountry duty

Edit - I may also entertain a single boot for all things - if I did, I’d try the roxa r3 130
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 04-13-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post

Edit - I may also entertain a single boot for all things - if I did, I’d try the roxa r3 130
    I was stoked on that boot. Tried it on and couldn't believe how wide it felt in the heel. Felt like I was wearing galoshes. Really disappointing, as Glen Plake's boots have been the perfect fit every step of the way (krypton, virus). Ended up getting the lupos. Much better fit!
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

The Teflon strips only helps with skinning, right? Not the down?

Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post
    I was stoked on that boot. Tried it on and couldn't believe how wide it felt in the heel. Felt like I was wearing galoshes. Really disappointing, as Glen Plake's boots have been the perfect fit every step of the way (krypton, virus). Ended up getting the lupos. Much better fit!
    Weird.
    A long time flexon user here with a duck foot (narrow heel, wide across the toes, significant instep and arch but more or less low volume) and I just tried the Roxa R3 130 and really like the heel pocket fit.

Like the buckle system. A little concerned about the Velcro on the top buckle longevity.

Flex is adjustable to two modes, soft and stiff. Soft is too soft for me, stiff is pretty stiff, somewhat progressive but not as gradual as a flexon (duh). Wish the soft/stiff adjustment was easier for transitions. Limited rearward movement, reasonably good forward movement with buckle undone in stiff mode.

Seems to be a good 1 quiver boot to me if the emphasis is on downhill.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    The Teflon strips only helps with skinning, right? Not the down?
    Correct.

Has anyone else tried this yet? How does the flex change? Does it make the flex too soft? Thinking about trying this out too.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Has anyone else tried this yet? How does the flex change? Does it make the flex too soft? Thinking about trying this out too.
    It would be very interesting to hear how others experience this mod! I really look forward to skiing again next winter concidering the flex felt noticibly smoother.

If you think about it, go for it! Just be careful when drilling out the rivets and you can poprivet the sticky rubber flaps back in case youd like less smooth flex again.

For stiffer flex I can recommend Strolz injection liners. Zipfit heat mold liners are also supposed to be bumping the flex up a bit, but I have so far not had time to get mine to fit since I need to ad more cork in them wich I planned to do in the warm spring skiing days. But instead had to end this season to early due to spinal I jury. But now I'm ready up and going again.

I've been playing with an idea about adding epoxy putty on the outside of the tongue if I find the need for stiffer flex, wich I doubt I will do before maybe when it gets warm again next spring. Or if I'm growing significantly heavier/stronger then my 80kg..

bought a used pair of 130C boots. Seems like the stock liners are not so great. I have both intuition power wrap and pro tongue liners that I could use. Which would you use? Mostly inbounds plenty of hiking, with an occasional tour.

I've never tried the pro-tongue liners - how do the laces work? you put the liners on your foot then the whole shebang into the boots? Or do you just loosen the laces when putting them on and tighten them up once on? They honestly seem a little weird.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    bought a used pair of 130C boots. Seems like the stock liners are not so great. I have both intuition power wrap and pro tongue liners that I could use. Which would you use? Mostly inbounds plenty of hiking, with an occasional tour.

I've never tried the pro-tongue liners - how do the laces work? you put the liners on your foot then the whole shebang into the boots? Or do you just loosen the laces when putting them on and tighten them up once on? They honestly seem a little weird.
    I went with wrap in my ax 120. Was. Was not a fan of tour and tongue for that reason

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I went with wrap in my ax 120. Was. Was not a fan of tour and tongue for that reason

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I too went with a wrap liner, fits perfectly.

I'm looking for some 24/25 "C" or "D" tongues or if anyone has a spare tongue clip hardware from any Krypton/lotus, as I have some old tongues I could retrofit.

Thanks!