Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Made a video for my mods:
    How did you remove the bolts for the front buckle on the inner side of the boot? I tried to remove mine with a 3.5mm allen key, which is the right size for the fitting, but it stripped the hex hole. And upon further tooling, the metal of the bolt is really soft and seems to be a rivet instead of screw. Did you grind them off?

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Voile XL straps. Figure even if I want to switch back to Boosters I'll have a couple of burly straps for rigging something else.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a pair of Voile XL straps. Figure even if I want to switch back to Boosters I'll have a couple of burly straps for rigging something else.
    I have the same thinking. They are worth a shot, and not a waste getting because you'll probably end up using them for something else in the end.

Another idea for either the Voile or Booster, mount them with heavy duty velcro instead of bolts so you can remove them to save weight for longer tours. Will be testing them out with the velcro too

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    How did you remove the bolts for the front buckle on the inner side of the boot? I tried to remove mine with a 3.5mm allen key, which is the right size for the fitting, but it stripped the hex hole. And upon further tooling, the metal of the bolt is really soft and seems to be a rivet instead of screw. Did you grind them off?
    Following up on this, the bolts for the front buckle ladder are rivets and not screws, so I had to use a drill straight through to punch them out. Saves about 80 grams per boot, and for the 130c which is a pretty heavy boot by touring standards, any weight reduction possible is well worth it. My fit in the front of the boot is pretty tight, and with the ankle buckle tightened properly, doesnt seem like that buckle is necessary anyway.

...with the ankle buckle tightened properly, doesnt seem like that buckle is necessary anyway.
    I've been in either Dalbellos or Full Tilts with boosters for the last decade and have often felt like the top buckle is superfluous with the combo of the ankle buckle and booster.

Following up on this, the bolts for the front buckle ladder are rivets and not screws, so I had to use a drill straight through to punch them out. Saves about 80 grams per boot, and for the 130c which is a pretty heavy boot by touring standards, any weight reduction possible is well worth it. My fit in the front of the boot is pretty tight, and with the ankle buckle tightened properly, doesnt seem like that buckle is necessary anyway.
    I drilled through as well.

Installed the Voile XL straps on my 130Cs today. Tried drilling out the rivets with limited success. I was really wary of drilling and/or melting the carbon-nylon, so I ended up prying off the outer plastic washers and then hacksawing the rivets in half. Everything else was a breeze, and the XL straps seem just as supportive as Boosters. I'll do an A/B test my first couple of days out this season to see about ditching the top buckles entirely.

Installed the Voile XL straps on my 130Cs today. Tried drilling out the rivets with limited success. I was really wary of drilling and/or melting the carbon-nylon, so I ended up prying off the outer plastic washers and then hacksawing the rivets in half. Everything else was a breeze, and the XL straps seem just as supportive as Boosters. I'll do an A/B test my first couple of days out this season to see about ditching the top buckles entirely.
    You think you can get rid of the top buckles too? Interesting. I also got my Voile XLs on my lupos this weekend, and I completely agree, they feel just as strong as Boosters. We will see how they feel on snow though.

You think you can get rid of the top buckles too? Interesting. I also got my Voile XLs on my lupos this weekend, and I completely agree, they feel just as strong as Boosters. We will see how they feel on snow though.
    I often kinda thought the ankle buckle on my Full Tilts + Boosters was the only buckle really doing any work. Just never had any real reason to test it. For me, the toe only needed to be tight enough to not come undone, and on days when I was really pushing hard into the boots I'd end up tightening the Booster tighter than the top buckle. In light-footed riding conditions I definitely think the top buckle is unnecessary. It's really on those warm and/or chargey days when you're maxing out the flex of the tongue that the help of the top buckle could come into play.

I often kinda thought the ankle buckle on my Full Tilts + Boosters was the only buckle really doing any work. Just never had any real reason to test it. For me, the toe only needed to be tight enough to not come undone, and on days when I was really pushing hard into the boots I'd end up tightening the Booster tighter than the top buckle. In light-footed riding conditions I definitely think the top buckle is unnecessary. It's really on those warm and/or chargey days when you're maxing out the flex of the tongue that the help of the top buckle could come into play.
    Just tested out removing the top buckle and cuff strap.

Top buckle plus screws: 45 grams
    Cuff strap plus screws: 65 grams
    Total weight savings: 110 grams

After floor testing with no top buckle/cuff strap and Voile XL straps, its softer with them off. The buckle and cuff strap provide extra support to the cuff and create a stiffer flex. It keeps the cuff and my leg together as one, whereas without my leg is flexing forward without the cuff support blowing through the tongue and create a softer flex.

I guess we could expand on this idea though by adding a second voile/booster strap lower to supplement for the lack of cuff strap, but then you are cutting into the weight savings and it may just be best to leave it as is. Or you just have the normal buckle and cuff strap, and no voile/booster, just like the original Lupo Carbon. However, I think i would still prefer having a voile/booster because I like that feel and extra support.

Just tested out removing the top buckle and cuff strap.

Top buckle plus screws: 45 grams
    Cuff strap plus screws: 65 grams
    Total weight savings: 110 grams

After floor testing with no top buckle/cuff strap and Voile XL straps, its softer with them off. The buckle and cuff strap provide extra support to the cuff and create a stiffer flex. It keeps the cuff and my leg together as one, whereas without my leg is flexing forward without the cuff support blowing through the tongue and create a softer flex.

I guess we could expand on this idea though by adding a second voile/booster strap lower to supplement for the lack of cuff strap, but then you are cutting into the weight savings and it may just be best to leave it as is. Or you just have the normal buckle and cuff strap, and no voile/booster, just like the original Lupo Carbon. However, I think i would still prefer having a voile/booster because I like that feel and extra support.
    I feel like the top strap has to be good for lateral stability as well.

I do know I like to have a booster/pro strap at the top of the toungue for control.

All this talk about the booster is blowing my mind. I do like the booster having a spring loaded tension as it's keeps the connection tight, but the Voile strap would achieve the same tension.

It's nice you know we're not comparing the booster vs voile strap rebound qualities. I will convert to the voile straps, for sure.

Side note: I skied for over a month on a mercury with a voile straps as the top buckle because the buckle broke, so I just voile strapped the buckle in the walk mode slot, and it worked pretty good. I did have a booster strap above this though.

Dalbello Lupo T.I / AT ?

Has anyone tried to mold the liners on these? I did a rice/sock mold last night on my 130Cs, and I honestly don’t know if it did anything. I fully understand that only the foot and ankle area of those liners is moldable, but having gone through the process a couple of times in the past with Intuition Wraps and Tours I can say that the stock liners didn’t even come close. Wasn’t expecting Intuition-level, but man. Really disappointed.

amazing. answer is they ski amazing.

Has anyone tried to mold the liners on these? I did a rice/sock mold last night on my 130Cs, and I honestly don’t know if it did anything. I fully understand that only the foot and ankle area of those liners is moldable, but having gone through the process a couple of times in the past with Intuition Wraps and Tours I can say that the stock liners didn’t even come close. Wasn’t expecting Intuition-level, but man. Really disappointed.
    I molded mine. Some change but unimpressed. I'm on the intuition group buy for tour wraps. Join in! Something ridic like $120 shipped.

To those of you going on the lupo-gram-counting diet, i take it you dont have a second "light" touring boot like the atomic XTD or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I molded mine. Some change but unimpressed. I'm on the intuition group buy for tour wraps. Join in! Something ridic like $120 shipped.

To those of you going on the lupo-gram-counting diet, i take it you dont have a second "light" touring boot like the atomic XTD or similar?
    I just got some Zero G pro boots for a lightweight alternative. I got them more to have an all day touring fit, vs a lighter option. The lupos had fucked my feet up after a couple of bigs days. I sized up in the ZGP

Lupos will go back to being my downhill ski boots, but I’ll still keep them light weight because they ski fine and I want to keep dicking with them.

I still think if the lupos got the lightweight touring treatment of the zero g, then they would be the worlds best boots. They could prob be 1300g in touring mode (w/o tongues) and just as rowdy if they simply built them like an AT boot. I’ll gladly accept a heavy PU tongue though.

im waiting for someone to A/B the XTD and the new ZeroG

Going to give the stock liners a chance at the beginning of the season and move to the Pro Tour or the Tour Wrap if they don't work out.

After a few days this month I think the liners need to go. I don’t mind how thin they are (I fit the shell pretty well), but the foam just feels so insubstantial that as soon as they pack out even a little they’re going to be worthless.

Side question: has anyone ditched the front buckle? I rarely ever tightened it much on past Kryptons and Full Tilts, and with the narrow 98mm last on the Lupos I don’t feel like I need any downward force on the top of my foot. Thoughts?

I cut off the front buckle with no noticeable differences.

After a few days this month I think the liners need to go. I don’t mind how thin they are (I fit the shell pretty well), but the foam just feels so insubstantial that as soon as they pack out even a little they’re going to be worthless.

Side question: has anyone ditched the front buckle? I rarely ever tightened it much on past Kryptons and Full Tilts, and with the narrow 98mm last on the Lupos I don’t feel like I need any downward force on the top of my foot. Thoughts?

Report back on any improved performance you notice once you drop a PW liner in. I’ve been happy with the stock liner, but it’s coming up on 80 days
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Report back on any improved performance you notice once you drop a PW liner in. I’ve been happy with the stock liner, but it’s coming up on 80 days
    Will do. I don’t think I’ll go for the full PW, probably either the Tour Wrap or the Pro Tour to retain as much touring ROM as possible.

I had the same issue when the stock wrap flex liners after they pack out. Not a solid enough fit for inbounds skiing, but still work well for touring. Try adding a shim under the foot bed and will make for a tighter fit.

Added Pro Wraps recently and the fit and performance is SOOO good. Night and day difference. Even with a just Pro Tour, I feel like fit is better because it has 9mm thick sole as opposed to the thinner 2mm sole of the wrap flex.

I removed the front buckle as well because the fit was tight enough with the Pro Tours. If the front of your foot isnt moving around without the buckle, then you will be fine.

I had the same issue when the stock wrap flex liners after they pack out. Not a solid enough fit for inbounds skiing, but still work well for touring. Try adding a shim under the foot bed and will make for a tighter fit.

Added Pro Wraps recently and the fit and performance is SOOO good. Night and day difference. Even with a just Pro Tour, I feel like fit is better because it has 9mm thick sole as opposed to the thinner 2mm sole of the wrap flex.

I removed the front buckle as well because the fit was tight enough with the Pro Tours. If the front of your foot isnt moving around without the buckle, then you will be fine.
    Pro Wraps eh? How do they tour? Did you cut a slit in the heel? I have some tour wraps (the new ones from this year) and they are pretty insubstantial. Light, but all intuitions are light.

Pro Wraps eh? How do they tour? Did you cut a slit in the heel? I have some tour wraps (the new ones from this year) and they are pretty insubstantial. Light, but all intuitions are light.
    Sorry, forgot to clarify. Pro Wraps are my inbounds liner, and Pro Tours are my touring liner. The Pro Wraps are so stiff there is like no flex at all.

Does the GripWalk Lupo sole (130C) work with standard FKS 18s? I’m an idiot when it comes to this compatibility stuff. I click in on my bench and looked ok...a little rubber on the toe but mostly its plastic on plastic.