Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I got this last year:
    Epson Perfection V600 Color Photo, Image, Film, Negative & Document Scanner

I have shoeboxes full of negatives, studied in college. This is totally fine. It takes two strips of 6 each and auto-detects the images so you just load, preview and scan. I save them out at like 1200 dpi so they're ~4mb each.
    12 images takes about 10 minutes.
    Has a holder for 35 and medium format.
    If you're trying to print these for an art gallery then this might not work but if you're just trying to digitize them and/or print them to a photo album then this scanner is what you want.

Yes, something like this would probably do the job. The major issue I would think would be a light source that would provide good, even lighting. And despite the assurance that it will work with "any lens" I'd think it's got to be a lens that will focus down to less than a foot, and by no means can all lenses do that. You'll also need a zoom lens that doesn't rotate when zoomed since that would cause the duplicator to also rotate.

http://120studio.com/slidescanning.htm and also google your camera brand or lens type for macro or bellows and slide mounts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh8vJCvsZtY

Tech talk JONG!

It all depends on what quality you are after (and what quality the slides are in the first place...) eg. are you really going to be printing these bigger than 8x10"?

I have a old epson 4490 that I used to use for proofing when I shot film - these can be picked up for almost nothing now, the higher and and newer epson flatbeds are better. If you are after serious quality you really need to be looking at used Nikon Coolscans or Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV, the step above that is sending out to somewhere with an imacon. The route I used was to proof with the cheapo flatbed and then send out anything that was really good for a 'proper' scan.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yes, something like this would probably do the job. The major issue I would think would be a light source that would provide good, even lighting. And despite the assurance that it will work with "any lens" I'd think it's got to be a lens that will focus down to less than a foot, and by no means can all lenses do that. You'll also need a zoom lens that doesn't rotate when zoomed since that would cause the duplicator to also rotate.
    The most definitive guide out there on this: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...tographs.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers

My goal is to create an image of the slides and post them for family to see. If there is something they want in a large format/better quality then I'll coordinate getting it for them but the first step is to scan them so they can be viewed online and in the process preserving them even if it isn't portrait quality.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    My goal is to create an image of the slides and post them for family to see. If there is something they want in a large format/better quality then I'll coordinate getting it for them but the first step is to scan them so they can be viewed online and in the process preserving them even if it isn't portrait quality.
    Even the cheapest older Epson scanners like my 4490 will be more than up to this; web use is very undemanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers

Bumping this for 2020 updates please. I need to scan prints, slides, negs (35mm) for archiving. No publishing or super high quality printing required. Did find a deal on a used Nikon Coolscan 4000 with feeder but that leaves the prints out of the loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

following, def. need this as well. I keep seing something for about 150 when I google....my needs would be for 35mm negativees though. a handfull of slides but mostly negatives.
    "Can't you see..."

I think creating a system where you can fill most of the frame of a good digital camera/lens makes the most sense. I've had really good results with a light table and a tripod mounted digital camera. It's not the quickest solution, though, for digitizing lots of negatives since you have to reposition for every frame. Post processing is pretty simple. Straighten, crop to size, remove the orange mask (for negatives), and invert the image.

My wife just picked up the Epson FF660W and really likes it. I don't think it can do slides though. I know she also picked up a flatbed Epson at the same time which I think she uses for slides.

She's done a lot of neat things. One thing that I thought was really cool was she took all of my grandfather's letters between him and his parents during WW2 along with all the photos. Scanned them and made a nice hardcover book with everything that documented all of his service. She had several copies printed and gave them to all the family members and donated one to the local historical society.

She is just finishing up another one for her grandma's brother that was killed in the Korean War. She did a lot of research and found lots of things that nobody knew about.
    Last edited by UTpowder; 09-04-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

https://kodakdigitizing.com/
    60% off.
    Thinking about it.
    I have a crap load of everything, so it might be correct
    25 slides =1 piece

That's interesting to me for some videotape and film in my collection, but even at 50% off it's way more than a device for the rest of my stuff, and I wouldn't have any control over quality etc.

If I am lucky I will not have anymore use for anything else.
    You have to realize you are sending it directly to Kodak, I have no doubt they are first rate, and when it comes to Kodachrome or otherwise, I doubt you can find better.
    I am thinking of getting the 40 box, which means I can get all my different video formats done with a company I trust to get it right.
    I am leary of sending to others, as I have no idea of high quality, but I am sure that Kodak has good stuff.
    For me its not worth the hassle, and will pay for the ability to NOT do it.
    I have no personal interest in this company, ran across it last night after bringing it back up.
    It seems like their system will give email updates, and so on, so you know every step of the way..
    I am not sure what you ,mean by the rest of your stuff, but they pretty much do everything except polavision, which is my arch nemesis right now.
    Very niche product. I have 30 of those friggin tapes

I like the Kodak option for some videotape in various formats and even some old movie film. I have hundreds of slides though, and many prints of stills and/or negatives thereof and it wold cost a fortune - way more than my own device. Anyone have any updated beta or experience?

does anyone have the the holders for film strips for epson flatbeds? i can’t find mine. it’s a very old cheap flatbed, but it was a little better with a few grams of plastic to hold the film.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

i just dropped off six rolls of 35 and 120 at what was the premiere lab here. they refused the 120 because the shop was bought out by a chain, Henry’s, that cancelled the deal with the local guy that did medium and large format. also now, because the lab in montreal is better than the toronto lab they are shipping all 35mm here from across canada... and it will take three weeks to get prints. want scans made? they will have to go on to a cd because wetransfer told them to stop using the free tier for commercial purposes.

if it’s hard to fathom how dead film is, read that again.

p.s those epson negative trays for 35-4x5 are super boutique now? it looks like some sellers are holding out for $330!! plus shipping. if any of you have an epson already, there is a transparency adapter including the holders on ebay for 67$ though. and then you too can figure out if it’s possible to use a usb appliance from 2k4 on your modern computers.

makes me want to get a DSL and shoot the film on a table top light box. there are a few video tutorials on youtube, doesn’t look bad or hard... not a drum scan or imacon (are those still a thing?) but i was impressed.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi