Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maestrale RS foot pain

Buddy of mine good skier good stance gets foot pain on the INSIDE of foot just past the ball of foot towards arch, only while skiing harder conditons, never in pow, not touring up and she tells me she has normal feet

I heard this might be a common affliction with the maestrale, anyone ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Assume she molded the liners? I've got a high instep and even after molding had to open the stitching in the tongue and grind out about half of the foam to make them fit.

Not enough arch support in the footbed then cranking the buckle down for a firm fit thus compressing the arch?

Yeah she did and I believe a remold was done with extra toe cap which probably wouldn't have done anything for her problem

i know this sounds counter intuitive but try foot beds if she doesn't have them and if she does have them try thinner foot beds

Still using factory insoles? Or aftermarkets like superfeet? Experiment?

Maybe duct tape shaped foam to the problem spots on her feet, pull the liners, hit the problem area with a heat gun hard, reinstall liners, slide in feet & let cool. Or shave off material on outside of liners at problem spot. I'm no bootfitter though, that's just how I'd try to fix it.

I had this same problem. Took them to the boot fitter in Anchorage. Punched out the shells for $10. No pain, no mo.

what is the shell fit like?

1) too big? she might be clenching her toes, due to the foot moving around

2) too small? she might be a bit scared, sitting back, and ramming the toe into the front of the shell

I was just wondering if the maestrale was known for this kinfd of thing cuz apparently another of her friends has the same problem, Ironicaly they used to own a ski store so dunno why she is asking me

Owned the mangos. Had that pain and various others. Never could get that boot to fit right. Found the flex weird too, seemed asymmetrical in forward flex.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Buddy of mine good skier good stance gets foot pain on the INSIDE of foot just past the ball of foot towards arch, only while skiing harder conditons, never in pow, not touring up and she tells me she has normal feet.
    I'm having trouble envisioning the exact location on the foot that you are describing. Sounds to me like navicular though?? Foot beds would be my vote, then punch if that doesn't help.

I've been on the Mastrale RS for two years without having that problem.

I could see it happening if the two front buckles were too tight or a wide foot. Those are a men's boot, the women's might fit her better? or not

Footbeds could help if she doesn't have them already.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I could see it happening if the two front buckles were too tight or a wide foot.
    People commonly overbuckle the Maestrale series, especially those used to overlap boots. The lower two buckles do not need to be very tight and will lead to foot pain if you overtighten. I set mine to just barely snap shut, and I have about the narrowest, lowest volume foot out there.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Those are a men's boot, the women's might fit her better? or not
    Like all other Scarpa boots and most boots period, the women's boot is the exact same shell. Switching from Maestrale to Gea would make no difference.

Everything else said in this thread - footbeds, sizing, etc. is all good advice.

I'll also note that I frequently trimmed away a bit of the elastic on the top of the liner to relax the fit just slightly. I trimmed about half of the elastic on the left foot away on mine to relieve pressure on a bone spur.

tell her to avoid skiing harder conditions. problem solved. two fold.

Yeah she is a small woman with small feet so she is in the womens version which is the GEA RS, actualy scarpa only go so small and then you are into the womens models I know with my small feet when I was looking I would have been in the green GEA which I would have destroyed pretty quick if I could have stood the fit

I will mention all these things to my bud

Roj, I can assure you we try to avoid the hard conditons when ever possible here on the left coast and we thanku for that pearl of wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Not enough arch support in the footbed then cranking the buckle down for a firm fit thus compressing the arch?
    This is probably the problem.

Yer most welcome 3x'r!

Mine hurt pretty bad until I put in a good footbed. Problem solved.

I was just wondering if the maestrale was known for this kinfd of thing cuz apparently another of her friends has the same problem, Ironicaly they used to own a ski store so dunno why she is asking me
    All boots are known for this kind of thing when they don't fit a particular foot correctly. This sounds like an arch support problem that can almost certainly be solved with a better footbed, either off the rack or, better yet, a custom orthotic.

Hey XXXer Mark @ Ruckus in PG has been fitting my boots since I've moved out here and recently has been going to some pretty high end professional training. My feet are a mess and he's been the best I've had in terms of fitting new boots for my odd feet. We are really lucky to have someone with his skills up North. I know its a bit of a drive just to fit some boots but your friend could call in and set up an appointment to get fitted.

I have had what is likely a similar issue with a variety of boots, one of the issues that is sometimes attributed to the ball of the foot pain is mid tarsal arch issues (which might have just been a marketing gimmick for some road biking insoles in high end specialized shoes early 2000's) . I would go to moldable foot beds for better all round support. But it could also be a larger issue with foot flexibility and strength.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I have a low instep, low volume and fairly flat foot. Most aftermarket footbeds feel like standing on golf balls to me. I know that I should probably work on foot flexibility and strength, but my feet don't typically bug me, so I of course don't bother.
    Anyhow, if your friend has flat feet it's worth mentioning that the boot board/bottom of the Maestrale shell isn't flat. Mine killed my arches until the liner packed out under my arches a little/my feet got used to the support. I'm not sure which it was, but the pain went away and the boots fit pretty good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    Hey XXXer Mark @ Ruckus in PG has been fitting my boots since I've moved out here and recently has been going to some pretty high end professional training. My feet are a mess and he's been the best I've had in terms of fitting new boots for my odd feet. We are really lucky to have someone with his skills up North. I know its a bit of a drive just to fit some boots but your friend could call in and set up an appointment to get fitted.
    Thanx for that but this thread is like so 3 years ago, she did get them worked out but now she needs a new knee and her husband had 4 heart attacks ... skiing is not on the the radar

Thanx for that but this thread is like so 3 years ago, she did get them worked out but now she needs a new knee and her husband had 4 heart attacks ... skiing is not on the the radar
    Oh fuck I am a JONG