Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lenz Heated Socks?

I picked up a pair of these Lenz 1.0 Heated Sock. My local shop recommended them when I inquired about heated foot bed liners. I took them home and when I put them on, can feel the patch where the element is under the toes. My concern is that touring, and telemark skiing may create more wear than a typical alpine skier, and more than the sock is designed to accommodate. I may return them because I'm not sure I can get past the feel of the sock under my toes, but hoped someone had some info on these, the company, their warranty service, etc. Expensive socks to be ruining in one season.

http://www.lenzproducts.com/en/heat-...10-unisex.html

The were at a clinic the other night. As a bootfitter, a loathe Hotronics. They generally create more problems than they solve. The beater element in Hotronics is very hard and is painful on the forefoot- especially in women.

I didn't try a pair of Lenz sock on, but they looked pretty nice. At $300 they better work.

On a side note, when people ask for Hotronics, I usually steer them to an Intuition Liner. Warmer, lighter and cheaper.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I use a power wrap in a t-1. The socks have a round patch sewn into the under toe area. I imagine i would forget about it, but it feels weird, also feels strange having batteries snapped to the sock. not sure how that whole deal holds up. The cost is what is having me scratch my head. If they dont hold up I'll feel like a (bigger) moron.

I'm waiting for Zippo to make one of these that I can slide into a compartment in my ski boot sole...and into pole handles.

http://www.rei.com/product/852273/zi...-warmer-chrome
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

you ski? who knew?

this is the year i decided to stop turning my toes into ice-blocks. not sure what to do, i piss plenty of money away, but dont want to get burned on $300 socks (i get 20% off at least.)

Any more words on these?
    I've given up. My feet are cold - always - like any time below 20. It's time. Yes, my boots fit just fine.
    Went in to see the folks who fit my boots today to ask about heaters (these guys installed hotronics in my wife's boots last year) - and they pulled these out - and said they've been having great success. $300 seemed like a lot to not know how long they'll last.

I'm thinking of trying these myself, but yeah, a bit expensive to just take a flyer on. Anyone?

It chafes me a bit that they charge $5 for the app to control them.

Quote Originally Posted by vigga View Post
    It chafes me a bit that they charge $5 for the app to control them.
    Agreed. That's like the $400 a night hotel room that charges for wi-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Agreed. That's like the $400 a night hotel room that charges for wi-fi.
    the cheaper the hotel, the more likely the wifi will be free; and likely better.

these heated socks look promising.

My boot fitting folks said they've been getting "amazing feedback". Still offer Hot-tronic, but point everyone - even racers (these folks do a lot of work for the racing community here in Southern Vermont) - to the Lenz. Told me yesterday that they've heat molded Atomic Roadsters/Vacuumed Fischers around people with these on with good results.
    Full disclosure: I take a lot of stuff from these guys with a grain of salt - they're good & knowledgeable, but on the extreme end of promotional compared to other retailers in our area. I gather not a lot of folks have these yet - others I've asked have had had a negative reaction, but have no direct experience.

Another concern I have, in addition to volume and durability: week trip to Jackson on a cold streak - unless you want to be in the same pair of socks every day, you're in for $100 a pop for a second pair. Now you're at $400 (well, $404.99).

Does anyone know: is losing battery packs on the more conventional solutions a concern? Clearly one of their selling points (everyone mentioned this to me yesterday...perfectly coached from a rep I'm sure) is that losing the battery pack is basically impossible. No idea if this is a legit concern - my wife has probably 20 days on her Hot-tronics, and the infrastructure seems fine.

I'm thinking of spray-foaming some of the polyurethane expandable foam you get a Home Depot and hardware stores around the toe area on the outside of my boots (not near the binding of course).
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    As a bootfitter.... when people ask for Hotronics, I usually steer them to an Intuition Liner. Warmer, lighter and cheaper.
    ^^^ This. I've installed hundreds of Hotronics. Intuitions generally work better and solved 99% of people's circulation/ cold feet issues.

Although, if you Dremmel out a hole in the footbed for the Hotronic's underside knob, the can fit pretty seamlessly.

Not sure how they compare to Hotronics but I had a pair of Sidas boot heaters installed underneath my footbeds this season and so far I love them. I used to suffer from cold feet (froze them too many times racing) and after about 20 days on them so far cannot believe I waited so long to get them.

Hotronics + neoprene boot gloves = toasty piggies.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Lenz Heated Socks?

I've had the opportunity to ski with these a few days now. I don't think they're for me. They heat the sole but not under my toes and that's where I need the freeze prevention. On a cold day my toes still got cold so that is an expensive non-solution.

I'm told hotronics have an element you can put where you need the heat.

Edit: I'm in a T1 and a power wrap
    Last edited by MMP; 01-21-2015 at 04:22 AM.

Bumping this. MMP are u still using these or have they been relegated to the dead sock drawer?

Anyone else try them out?

Considering but can't find much feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I've had the opportunity to ski with these a few days now. I don't think they're for me. They heat the sole but not under my toes and that's where I need the freeze prevention. On a cold day my toes still got cold so that is an expensive non-solution.

I'm told hotronics have an element you can put where you need the heat.

Edit: I'm in a T1 and a power wrap
    Try making a tele turn...you'll warm up

Do your feet really set cold touring?

My feet get cold lift served but the better shape I'm in the less it is an issue.

If it's fucking cold out, my toes get cold. Even when touring with intuition liners. If it is down below -20c, my toes will be cold. Seriously tempted by heated socks or hot tronics

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Do your feet really set cold touring?

My feet get cold lift served but the better shape I'm in the less it is an issue.
    I think it comes down to sizing issues. If you run your boots tight (10mm or less shell fit) your feet will always be slightly compressed and probably cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I think it comes down to sizing issues. If you run your boots tight (10mm or less shell fit) your feet will always be slightly compressed and probably cold.
    That's my problem; i have Crispi Evos, and they are very snug. I tried using those chemical-pack toe warmers that you stick on the top of your toes, but there is no way I can fit them in without crushing my toes. Heated socks would be the bomb, if they work, and hold up to a season of use.

There are a range of issues that lead to cold feet. Sizing can, and does, play an issue, but some folks just run cold. Other times it is just fucking cold.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    There are a range of issues that lead to cold feet. Sizing can, and does, play an issue, but some folks just run cold. Other times it is just fucking cold.
    Its the boot and the liner too - my lange rx are the coldest boots I've ever owned. Even colder than some Head Raptor B3 R3 plugs I had.

Lange RX are fucking cold