Page 183 of 233 FirstFirst ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,575 of 5808
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    They are basically organized crime. / mafia. If you’re a cop you are a “made man”. Beat up your girlfriend, arrest a nurse, the other made guys won’t interfere or make you suffer consequences. They will lie and cover for each other, even when there are crimes unrelated to the line of duty (see Philadelphia drug dealing cop trial). If you are friendly with their crew you will get special treatment but never be “made”. They run rackets and extortion schemes to enrich themselves, both legally (civil seizures and tickets) and illegally.
    Impounding and holding people's cars for 30 day's. @100$ a day. - extra judicial power and I bet they get an envelope
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    Shifting the financial risk of civilian lawsuits from city/county directly to police departments might just get these guys attention. Obviously it won't completely eliminate misconduct but it will definitely make a police chief more likely to fire bad cops, if his budget is on the line. It would have to be coupled with measures that weaken police union ability to contest firings (no small task).

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/how-w...police-reform/
    Agreed and no more immunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    That's Bennyspeak for "I was factually wrong and I admit it".

Consent decrees have not stopped police misconduct.
    Doubtful that Chauvin going to jail will stop it.
    Shifting the financial risk of civilian lawsuits from city/county directly to police departments might just get these guys attention. Obviously it won't completely eliminate misconduct but it will definitely make a police chief more likely to fire bad cops, if his budget is on the line. It would have to be coupled with measures that weaken police union ability to contest firings (no small task).

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/how-w...police-reform/
    Are you Ted Cruz?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Are you Ted Cruz?
    Nope. And I'm not Highangle or SVS either. Just an M series jong who can spot a blowhard when I see one.

Also, I share a policy position from a Berkeley trained sociologist and you scream "Ted Cruz"? Um, have you fallen recently and incurred a head injury? That's even more incoherent than usual for you.

"Consent decrees have not stopped police misconduct."
    Well duh, That rings a pretty lame statement to my ears. Prison doesn't stop rapes and robberies. Traffic citations and fines don't stop speeding.

Seattle consent decree reduced the number of civilians shot by cops.

That is all. Rant on.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Well, you remind me of his public debating style. Say something stupid over and over, in an insulting and charmless manner, not caring if people are laughing at you. But, seems to work for him.

Sociology. Yeah. Highly respected degree. They are in great demand by political leaders who want to figure it all out. I'm sure that guy's phone is ringing off the hook. Did you graduate high school?

By the way. Berkeley doesn't "train" academics. Training is for dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    "Consent decrees have not stopped police misconduct."
    Well duh, That rings a pretty lame statement to my ears. Prison doesn't stop rapes and robberies. Traffic citations and fines don't stop speeding.

Seattle consent decree reduced the number of civilians shot by cops.

That is all. Rant on.
    It's ok man. Police departments can fuck up left and right. They're self funding, so, no whoop when financial damages pile up. Somebody else will pay it. Right. From the money tree. Down the alley.

It's ok man. Police departments can fuck up left and right. They're self funding, so, no whoop when financial damages pile up. Somebody else will pay it. Right. From the money tree. Down the alley.
    Yes, that's the problem. Civilian suits for police misconduct have increased. Yet police department budgets haven't been affected, in fact that they have increased.

Well, you remind me of his public debating style. Say something stupid over and over, in an insulting and charmless manner, not caring if people are laughing at you. But, seems to work for him.

Sociology. Yeah. Highly respected degree. They are in great demand by political leaders who want to figure it all out. I'm sure that guy's phone is ringing off the hook. Did you graduate high school?

I mean, he's a professor at U of Maryland, fellow at the Brookings Institute and co-editor of a magazine. Sounds like his phone is ringing.

Just because your career failed (ageism? or insufferable personality?) doesn't mean you have to try to knock down a successful Black man.

Let me try to explain it:
    Bennyville has a 100 million dollar budget. Of the 100, 20 million goes to education, 30 to the police, 25 to infrastructure, and 25 is the general fund. The first three of those categories can be used only for the allotted purposes and so the money has strings. The latter doesn't. So you want to build a playground: general fund. Hire a new program coordinator: general fund. Make unplanned updates on a sewer found to be in worse condition than expected in the infrastructure plan: general fund.

Now somebody doesn't wear shoes into a 7 Eleven, so one of Bennyville's finest shoots him and pees on his fallen body. Boom. 20 million settlement. Do you think that each department takes a 20% budget cut? Nope. The general fund is depleted by 20 million (80%). No new parks, no fixed sewers, no program manager, no festival where they burn ski lifts.

But the police still have the exact same 30 million funding that they would have had without the settlement, because their funding isn't from the general fund and is already allocated. They still have money for all the overtime they want. They still get new cars and guns. They still have free snacks in the breakroom. They literally are unaffected because organizations have completely different pots of money that they legally can no use for other purposes.

Even if you're trying to argue that paying money from the general fund somehow hurts police because it hurts the whole community, you run into the issue of most officers not living in the communities that they police (though this is area dependent). So little Jimmy Local might not get a public pool or career counseling, but it's not the officers' kids.

The idea of paying for at least part of the settlement out of the police budget is that it will force at least some belt tightening. Suddenly there isn't funding for infinite overtime. You don't get new vehicles every 4 years. You don't have the money to hire an extra secretary so you have to do your own paperwork. You have to buy your break room snacks from a machine! I'm not going to claim that municipalities won't be forced move some general funds to cover shortfalls in the police budget. But they're not going to be excited to make up all the difference. If you've ever been part of a bureaucracy, you will know that those general funds are guarded with insane jealousy as they are the only thing that allows flexibility. They're not going to just say "Oh, bad luck on costing us 20 million, but here you go!"

Also, side note: I have a PhD in sociology and have briefed/advised the head of our state legislature within the last month and was set to do the same for our US senator a month or two before before some emergency meeting bumped us back. i can keep you informed if you like.

Say something stupid over and over, in an insulting and charmless manner, not caring if people are laughing at you.
    ferrous
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Played golf with a Seattle detective last week. Said he's retiring end of May. Nice guy, angary cop. SPD needs more to retire to let the culture shift happen.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ferrous
    lol
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Let me try to explain it:
    Bennyville has a 100 million dollar budget. Of the 100, 20 million goes to education, 30 to the police, 25 to infrastructure, and 25 is the general fund. The first three of those categories can be used only for the allotted purposes and so the money has strings. The latter doesn't. So you want to build a playground: general fund. Hire a new program coordinator: general fund. Make unplanned updates on a sewer found to be in worse condition than expected in the infrastructure plan: general fund.

Now somebody doesn't wear shoes into a 7 Eleven, so one of Bennyville's finest shoots him and pees on his fallen body. Boom. 20 million settlement. Do you think that each department takes a 20% budget cut? Nope. The general fund is depleted by 20 million (80%). No new parks, no fixed sewers, no program manager, no festival where they burn ski lifts.

But the police still have the exact same 30 million funding that they would have had without the settlement, because their funding isn't from the general fund and is already allocated. They still have money for all the overtime they want. They still get new cars and guns. They still have free snacks in the breakroom. They literally are unaffected because organizations have completely different pots of money that they legally can no use for other purposes.

Even if you're trying to argue that paying money from the general fund somehow hurts police because it hurts the whole community, you run into the issue of most officers not living in the communities that they police (though this is area dependent). So little Jimmy Local might not get a public pool or career counseling, but it's not the officers' kids.

The idea of paying for at least part of the settlement out of the police budget is that it will force at least some belt tightening. Suddenly there isn't funding for infinite overtime. You don't get new vehicles every 4 years. You don't have the money to hire an extra secretary so you have to do your own paperwork. You have to buy your break room snacks from a machine! I'm not going to claim that municipalities won't be forced move some general funds to cover shortfalls in the police budget. But they're not going to be excited to make up all the difference. If you've ever been part of a bureaucracy, you will know that those general funds are guarded with insane jealousy as they are the only thing that allows flexibility. They're not going to just say "Oh, bad luck on costing us 20 million, but here you go!"

Also, side note: I have a PhD in sociology and have briefed/advised the head of our state legislature within the last month and was set to do the same for our US senator a month or two before before some emergency meeting bumped us back. i can keep you informed if you like.
    Ah, so, they taught you in Sociology class that money for police departments falls from the sky? So, maybe, you were telling the state legislators and Senator that COLA applied to public pensions is cool, no whoop, it's not from the "general fund"? No wonder my taxes are so high. Palm, meet forehead.

You wouldn't happen to have a side gig alias, would you?

You wouldn't happen to have a side gig alias, would you?
    Seriously, what are you, the padded room's resident alias detective? Would you like a badge for your investigations? Are you gonna go ask the mods for a warrant for people's IP addresses?

Give the alias detective work a rest. It really doesn't contribute anything.

Also, all anyone is suggesting here is that police budgets need to bear the burden of being responsible for civil rights violations. Be it through increased expenditures for insurance costs from their portion of the budget, or direct reductions for paying the suits themselves.

Dude, I've got a Jong who joined 11/2020 going after me for my political leanings. That, sir, is an alias from a longer standing member. Mind your own biz.

Take it to PM if it's your private business.

It's not private if I'm being insulted in public, dude.

Of course it's not private. It's a public performance of Schrodinger's Douchebag at the Mott and Bailey in 37 acts. And we haven't even reached the halfway point.

So you're gonna get heckled a bit. HTFU or get off the stage.

Then he’s spoiling for a fight he just can’t figure out who the fuck he’s fighting.

Dude, I've got a Jong who joined 11/2020 going after me for my political leanings. That, sir, is an alias from a longer standing member. Mind your own biz.
    Why are you so convinced that its an alias? Because it joined on 11/20 or just that it is attacking you?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Why are you so convinced that its an alias? Because it joined on 11/20 or just that it is attacking you?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No, it went beyond to attack stuff about me that only someone who has been around for at least a few years would know. Awful poker player, I'll bet.

It’s hilarious to see this M-JONG live in Benny’s head, rent free.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Then he’s spoiling for a fight he just can’t figure out who the fuck he’s fighting.
    Well, it's all sort of fake here, right?