Page 201 of 233 FirstFirst ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,025 of 5801
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Seems like an area where prosecutors and plaintiffs attorneys need to use more Daubert and Frye challenges on these experts if they are not following the science. But Daubert challenges are time consuming and expensive and Frye is far less likely to prevail. The thing is if they are successful in excluding an expert on just one case, they are basically done for. It would also make the other experts much more careful about any crackpot expert opinions.
    why would prosecutors care?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    why would prosecutors care?
    True if you’re one of the many prosecutors who’s looking for an excuse not to charge…. There are a number of good prosecutors out there that are trying to prosecute these crimes though.

Seems like an area where prosecutors and plaintiffs attorneys need to use more Daubert and Frye challenges on these experts if they are not following the science. But Daubert challenges are time consuming and expensive and Frye is far less likely to prevail. The thing is if they are successful in excluding an expert on just one case, they are basically done for. It would also make the other experts much more careful about any crackpot expert opinions.
    The problem is the lack of science. It appears that the "science" is a bunch of manipulated studies published by the police friendly "scientists" . As you can imagine doing science on how people respond to real-life police restraints is pretty much impossible. But the whole issue of expert testimony is a landmine. Aren't there countries where impartial scientific panels weigh the evidence and theirs is the only expert opinion presented?

I have a friend who worked a 40 year career as a forensic scientist. He was a professor at a major university but earned way more money as an expert witness for criminal trials. For the right price he could convince a jury of whatever the people paying him wanted the jury to believe. Sketchy as fuck those folks are.. He did say there were a few occasions where he drew a line in the moral sand if it was crystal clear someone was getting railroaded.. But, they would just hire another "expert" to promote that narrative when he walked away.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I have a friend who worked a 40 year career as a forensic scientist. He was a professor at a major university but earned way more money as an expert witness for criminal trials. For the right price he could convince a jury of whatever the people paying him wanted the jury to believe. Sketchy as fuck those folks are.. He did say there were a few occasions where he drew a line in the moral sand if it was crystal clear someone was getting railroaded.. But, they would just hire another "expert" to promote that narrative when he walked away.
    That sounds like a story a kid would tell on the bus about their dads friend. Sure he was an expert witness, but “For the right price he could convince a jury of whatever the people paying him wanted the jury to believe.” Is bullshit.

That sounds like a story a kid would tell on the bus about their dads friend. Sure he was an expert witness, but “For the right price he could convince a jury of whatever the people paying him wanted the jury to believe.” Is bullshit.
    Pretty smart dude, highly accoladed. Legit. See the discussion above about juries and expert opinions.. Guess you're not paying attention;..

There was also this happening at the same time.... More school bus talk amirite??

North Carolina’s crime lab scandal remains unaddressed

Oh snap, he died earlier this year.. :-(

RIP Ronald Butters, one important figure in Forensic Linguistics

Looks like more cooperate stuff than criminals though looking at his creds Guess I didn't know him that well after all. Point stands that there are people that do this and you should know...

Pretty smart dude, highly accoladed. Legit. See the discussion above about juries and expert opinions.. Guess you're not paying attention;..

There was also this happening at the same time.... More school bus talk amirite??

North Carolina’s crime lab scandal remains unaddressed

Oh snap, he died earlier this year.. :-(

RIP Ronald Butters, one important figure in Forensic Linguistics

Looks like more cooperate stuff than criminals though looking at his creds Guess I didn't know him that well after all. Point stands that there are people that do this and you should know...
    You are conflating multiple different things. Expensive expert witnesses almost always work for the defense in criminal trials. He sounds like a well respected expert witness who works in a very gray field. But I can’t imagine he could do what you said he could, as no one can.

You are conflating multiple different things. Expensive expert witnesses almost always work for the defense in criminal trials. He sounds like a well respected expert witness who works in a very gray field. But I can’t imagine he could do what you said he could, as no one can.
    Well the defense pays "experts" to try day in and day out. It worked for OJ.. Add in massive crime lab corruption referenced. It took the super rich Duke Lacrosse Team parents to expose and blow that crime lab shit wide open. It went on for decades locking up innocent people.. with "expert" testimony.

Do you not understand that you are talking about two completely different things when you say that defense experts can get anyone off and corrupt crime labs can lock anyone up?

Sure OJ got off, he got lucky and had a crazy team of attorneys and a couple experts. Sure the justice system gets things wrong. But in no way can some expert swing every case whichever way he testifies. For poor people being railroaded by a corrupt lab who is manufacturing evidence, sure…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Or SOP?
    The Army surgeon my dad worked for was the expert witness for big tobacco claiming there was no link to cancer and smoking. Tobacco won and the expert got a $200,000/year gig on the Tobacco Counsel.

And I watched the Dooey, Cheatem & Howe Expert Witness back surgeon run over the top of the wrist doctor Jake from State Farm hired to defend me. Cost Jake $350,000

Expert witnesses are experts all right. IME
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Do you not understand that you are talking about two completely different things when you say that defense experts can get anyone off and corrupt crime labs can lock anyone up?

Sure OJ got off, he got lucky and had a crazy team of attorneys and a couple experts. Sure the justice system gets things wrong. But in no way can some expert swing every case whichever way he testifies. For poor people being railroaded by a corrupt lab who is manufacturing evidence, sure…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I didn't say he got everyone off. I said he could make the jury believe him.. However, then another expert gets to try to get the jury to believe them. Regardless of whether or not the jury believes the expert, they may weigh other factors and evidence more heavily. They can believe the defense expert but still find the client guilty. They can believe the prosecution expert and still find the defendant innocent/reasonable doubt. I never said he guaranteed a verdict either way. I said he could get the jury to believe whatever narrative he was paid to deliver.

I didn't say he got everyone off. I said he could make the jury believe him.. However, then another expert gets to try to get the jury to believe them. Regardless of whether or not the jury believes the expert, they may weigh other factors and evidence more heavily. They can believe the defense expert but still find the client guilty. They can believe the prosecution expert and still find the defendant innocent/reasonable doubt. I never said he guaranteed a verdict either way. I said he could get the jury to believe whatever narrative he was paid to deliver.
    Oh ok

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The problem is the lack of science. It appears that the "science" is a bunch of manipulated studies published by the police friendly "scientists" . As you can imagine doing science on how people respond to real-life police restraints is pretty much impossible. But the whole issue of expert testimony is a landmine. Aren't there countries where impartial scientific panels weigh the evidence and theirs is the only expert opinion presented?
    what is this “science” of “impartial” “experts”?

Lol, at the conception of the justice system

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    what is this “science” of “impartial” “experts”?

Lol, at the conception of the justice system
    The current set up is that each side hires an expert that supports it. They each keep looking for experts until they find one that says what they want to hear. f they can't find one they settle. Listening to all the ridiculous stuff some of the "experts" are spouting about covid should make it obvious you can usually find one to support you side, however wrong.

What has been proposed--it's not my idea and it's been around a long time--is that neither side hires an expert. The court hires a panel of experts. Since neither side has hired the experts they are more likely to be objective. They may disagree among themselves and if they can't come to a consensus--well that's "reasonable doubt" or a lack of "preponderance of the evidence", depending. It certainly wouldn't be infallible because science isn't always clear but I think it would be fairer--by eliminating the financial incentive to make stuff up. Financial incentives influence what medicines doctors prescribe and what operations they do. Why wouldn't financial incentives get them to lie?

LAPD shoot a man beating people in a store with a bike lock--and also kill a 14 year old girl in a dressing room behind the assailant.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/27/u...s-angeles.html
    The video shows the police shooting the guy the instant they saw him--without any attempt to get him to surrender, without any assessment of the surroundings and the potential risk to bystanders. The impression one gets from the video is that they went into the store with the intention of shooting someone.

^^^^Because shooting the problem is way easier than dealing with the problem in any humane way.. Or it was until they missed...

Holy crap.

After 4 Killings, ‘Officer of the Year’ Is Still on the Job https://nyti.ms/3FIcZPt

Trooper Splain is an outlier. Most officers never fire their weapons. Until now, his full record of killings has not been disclosed; the Pennsylvania State Police even successfully fought a lawsuit seeking to identify him and provide other details in one shooting. In the agency’s more than a century of policing, no officer has ever been prosecuted for fatally shooting someone, according to a spokesman. That history aligns with a longstanding pattern across the country of little accountability for police officers’ use of deadly force.

"Virginia Beach police used forged documents that linked people’s DNA to a crime to get them to confess or cooperate with investigators, Virginia’s outgoing attorney general announced Wednesday."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...eral-rcna12053

I thought the police were allowed to lie to get confessions. Isn't this like telling someone "your buddy confessed to being their and said you pulled the trigger"? Not that it's right. But cops have been allowed to pull this shit for a long time. Note that the AG who condemned the practice is on the way out, the dems having lost the statehouse.

City of York ME pays out $325k to settle suit brought by a guy attacked by a police dog during a stop for flashing headlights

https://www.seacoastonline.com/story...an/9156618002/

In a joint statement released with the footage, York Town Manager Steve Burns and Acting Police Chief Owen Davis said [Officer]Rogers “simply did his job to keep York a safe place.”

Watching the video I think the motorist was drunk, but Hardly a threat to Officer Rogers

I got the sense he was pissed off the cop pulled him over for flashing his headlights. Egregious use of force regardless. The guy is lucky he wasn’t shot

The price of freedom.

Did anybody catch this the other day? I've seen cop funerals all my life as a New Yorker, but this was something. Not only the numbers, but the military precision of it all. Hey, tough a cop was shot, but these guys are sending a serious fucking message. We now have a well funded domestic army that will be very hard to control when the shit starts.

pretty sure these douchbags have always been there..... sending signals and shit. it's what they do.

how many black dudes you see in that mob?