Page 161 of 233 FirstFirst ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 5808
    So if the aggro cop is calling him by assumed rank that means that Dick probably also served. Which makes this even worse! No respect for a fellow serviceman. And in fact disrespect.
    . . .

Boy, those Minnesota pigs just can't get their fill of murdering black people, can they?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Boy, those Minnesota pigs just can't get their fill of murdering black people, can they?
    An air freshener violation? And now he’s dead.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mo...on/ar-BB1fz0kZ
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Fuck

Driving while black. In a service uniform
    Fatman has been fired
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/12/u...per-spray.html

Too bad it took a lawsuit to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Qualified immunity has been affirmed by the SCOTUS. Does that supercede state laws barring qualified immunity or does the SCOTUS decision apply only to Federal LE and govt officials?
    Generally, no. Qualified immunity is a judicially recognized privilege of the states (and municipalities, etc.) that they inherently have. The only way to avoid qualified immunity is if their is a constitutional violation, or the state actively waives the protection of the doctrine. QI is the principle of "The King is always right." And, if the state (or "King") decides it can sometimes not be right, and is in fact wrong, it has the power to waive that privilege. Essentially, the states that ban QI are saying as sovereign entities they can be sued for certain wrongs now and be held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Generally, no. Qualified immunity is a judicially recognized privilege of the states (and municipalities, etc.) that they inherently have.
    Huh?

An air freshener violation? And now he’s dead.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mo...on/ar-BB1fz0kZ
    What's crazy is there was literally a supreme court ruling on shooting people as they flee like 2 weeks ago.

Cliff notes: it didn't rule in favor of cops then so these guys are pretty fucked now.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Huh?
    Just think of it as the twisted logic the courts improvised to say a state is a sovereign entity that cannot be sued for damages unless it says that it can be sued for damages.

I’m still struggling to understand the air freshener violation.

It’s like pulling someone over for no seatbelt. Well. Actually. It’s way worse.

But if there’s no registration issues and no driving violations quit fucking with people. Fuck.
    . . .

I’m still struggling to understand the air freshener violation.

It’s like pulling someone over for no seatbelt. Well. Actually. It’s way worse.

But if there’s no registration issues and no driving violations quit fucking with people. Fuck.
    "Air freshener violation" = driving while black.

1:30 in the morning means they were fishing for a DUI. White people get that shit handed to them also but probably not shot.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    1:30 in the morning means they were fishing for a DUI. White people get that shit handed to them also but probably not shot.

Likely true. Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Exactly, and this is what frustrates me with people who have a problem with BLM. Any gains achieved in peeling back the police state and wholesale violations of our 4th Amendment rights, particularly against black individuals, don't just benefit the black community. They benefit all of us.

Generally, no. Qualified immunity is a judicially recognized privilege of the states (and municipalities, etc.) that they inherently have. The only way to avoid qualified immunity is if their is a constitutional violation, or the state actively waives the protection of the doctrine. QI is the principle of "The King is always right." And, if the state (or "King") decides it can sometimes not be right, and is in fact wrong, it has the power to waive that privilege. Essentially, the states that ban QI are saying as sovereign entities they can be sued for certain wrongs now and be held accountable.
    You just described "sovereign immunity" not "qualified immunity." You're not alone, the article linked earlier did the same, but that's not correct. Qualified immunity protects individuals from being held personally accountable.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Minn. police officer who shot Daunte Wright apparently meant to use Taser but accidentally fired gun, police chief says
    See here.

How in the fucking world?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Yeah and it was 1:30 in the afternoon, not at night.

Fuck that noise. Firing and manslaughter charges at a minimum.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    You just described "sovereign immunity" not "qualified immunity." You're not alone, the article linked earlier did the same, but that's not correct. Qualified immunity protects individuals from being held personally accountable.
    Well qualified immunity is an extension of the sovereign immunity doctrine, is it not? Not going for the in-depth explanation here.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Right. I've been saying this for a while but their inability to not shoot someone for a while is all I need to reinforce my absolute hatred of the police. Every fucking one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Minn. police officer who shot Daunte Wright apparently meant to use Taser but accidentally fired gun, police chief says
    See here.

Same explanation was given for the officer who killed a guy on a BART train in 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...aser_confusion

Do I believe it in either case? I don't know.

Well qualified immunity is an extension of the sovereign immunity doctrine, is it not? Not going for the in-depth explanation here.
    No, not really. The two things are completely separate and the legal hurdles to bringing suits against a person and that person's employer are different. Qualified immunity was literally invented by SCOTUS in the 1960's to protect police officers and other officials from having to defend civil suits brought by their victims. Sovereign immunity protects the government itself.

The big problem with qualified immunity is that it denies victims the right to sue even for obvious violations of their rights unless the exact same thing has been ruled on before. Which it almost never has been, because qualified immunity kept it out of the courts the last time and the time before that and the time before that etc. It's a circle jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    See here.

This is why Qualified Immunity is such bullshit. There are many professions where it's simply not OK to be terrible at them, and Policework is one of those. I watched the video, and while it's clear it was accidental, it's still incredibly negligent. There are three officers right on top of this guy, and she is so scared / tunnel visioned from adrenaline that she didn't realize she drew the wrong weapon while it was in her hand for 5 FULL FUCKING SECONDS and while pulling the trigger. WTF?!? There has to be consequences for such horrible incompetence in a job that can threaten the lives of others

Police Behaving Badly

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Same explanation was given for the officer who killed a guy on a BART train in 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...aser_confusion

They did release body cam footage today... she did yell “taser, taser” which is apparently the protocol to alert other officers that taser is being used. Really unbelievable. I initially heard she was a rookie officer but now an hearing senior officer. Protests turned to riots and looting last night in Brooklyn Center. (close suburb to north Minneapolis where this happened. Different police force.). Governor announced curfew at 7pm for several counties. All while George Floyd trial is ongoing only 10? miles away downtown Mpls. It’s crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

You do realize, if you score too high on the exam, they are legally allowed not to hire you.

It’s Paul Blart, mall cop, with actual guns.

These cops are fucking stupid. And often hopped up on roids and “supplements” not to mention the power trip.

The thinking cops are a dying breed. Old school.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Fatman has been fired
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/12/u...per-spray.html

Too bad it took a lawsuit to do that...
    He was stopped for not having license plates.
    They ignored his temporary paper license, from the dealer, that was taped in the rear window.

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    They did release body cam footage today... she did yell “taser, taser” which is apparently the protocol to alert other officers that taser is being used. Really unbelievable. I initially heard she was a rookie officer but now an hearing senior officer. Protests turned to riots and looting last night in Brooklyn Center. (close suburb to north Minneapolis where this happened. Different police force.). Governor announced curfew at 7pm for several counties. All while George Floyd trial is ongoing only 10? miles away downtown Mpls. It’s crazy.
    Yeah, this shit is unbelievable. To grab your gun when you meant to grab your taser?? The officer bears the responsibility, but you have to think their training is inadequate as well.