Page 225 of 232 FirstFirst ... 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,625 of 5797
    A requirement to live where you police would be smart too. Buncha carpet baggers policing areas they hate and couldn’t care leas about is good for no one.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Not too surprising. Several of my friends growing up became cops and their cultural indoctrination was shocking in how much it changed there outlook and disposition
    I think its part cultural indoctrination into the "LEO brotherhood", but also in large part a natural byproduct of only dealing with a certain demographic day in and day out. Cops pretty much only deal with the dreggs of our society, or people having one of the worst days of their lives. I cant think of a good situation in which i would encounter a cop- even when they do a great job and help a victim, something horrible happened to that victim to necessitate a police response. When +50% of your daily interactions on the job are with bad people, and the other 50% are with good people having a horrible day and in crisis or pissed off at you for writing them a ticket i can understand how their perception of the public can be changed. And when you have cops who work in areas with predominantly black/brown people, and then go back to live in their predominantly white neighborhood their life experience says that black/brown folks (they deal with on the job and see the worst of) are worse people than the white folks (they arent just seeing the worst of). It's tough to not be affected by that lived experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    A requirement to live where you police would be smart too. Buncha carpet baggers policing areas they hate and couldn’t care leas about is good for no one.
    In theory that works, but why would someone agree to work a dangerous, stressful job, only to also be forced to live in a crappy area with bad crime, bad schools, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    In theory that works, but why would someone agree to work a dangerous, stressful job, only to also be forced to live in a crappy area with bad crime, bad schools, etc?
    You don’t have to live in a shitty neighborhood. You have to live in the city where you’re policing.

You don’t have to live in a shitty neighborhood. You have to live in the city where you’re policing.
    I lived a block from the city limit growing up. That next city over had a population of about 20k at the time and had a murder rate above 150/100k residents for a number of years. It was an awful gang violence and drug infested city. There was no decent place to live there. Full stop.

And if we are being real, as a general rule of thumb, due to redlining and various other factors, the nicer areas of most any city will have less black and brown people in them. So when the cop works in the shitty part of town and sees only black and brown people committing crimes (because its a predominantly black and brown area and he is tasked with only dealing with crime), and then goes home to his nice neighborhood and only sees white and asian people being good members of society (because it is predominanly white and asian and he isnt tasked with only dealing with criminals there), the cop still has his perception distorted.

As someone said above, it would be superhuman to not be jaded and have burned in biases after working years on the job in a rough area.

You’re right. I guess it doesn’t matter where you live when police forces historically and currently only exist to protect property and property owners.

Police forces are rotten at the head. Money thrown at them would be better spent on education, after school programs, job skills training centers, parks departments, etc…

I can see this being problematic for recruitment and retention on both ends of the spectrum. IE, Jackson Hole and East Saint Louis.

If you don’t want to live in and be involved in the community of East STL, why do you want to police it?

If you don’t want to live in and be involved in the community of East STL, why do you want to police it?
    Wut?

So you have to live in the city where your job is, otherwise your motives for working their should be questioned (implication being) as just a powertrip? Does your logic apply to doctors, nurses, fire fighters, emts, social workers, teachers, etc?

Police Behaving Badly

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Wut?

So you have to live in the area you are trying to help? You have to live in the city where your job is? Does your logic apply to doctors, nurses, fire fighters, emts, social workers, teachers, etc?
    Great edit, guy. Maybe not to doctors or nurses, but public employees who “serve the community” should live where they work.

It would help police humanize the people they’re being paid and trained to brutalize.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    The stakes are simply too high, and the responsibility and power too much for such low qualifications to become and remain and cop. Few if any other jobs wield as much power as a cop, and they often have to wield it in split second, hectic situations. And yet, the qualifications to become and remain a cop are just off the floor-low. Take away the power, or raise the qualifications and pay. IMO.

This one may have been police behaving badly as in oops.. The news reports I saw tonight said the gun was fired accidentally and it had nothing to do with appending the suspect at large..

https://abc11.com/wake-county-sherif...ntos/13302941/
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

this shit just keeps happening…

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/25/n...smid=url-share

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    This one may have been police behaving badly as in oops.. The news reports I saw tonight said the gun was fired accidentally and it had nothing to do with appending the suspect at large..

https://abc11.com/wake-county-sherif...ntos/13302941/
    The problem is--the K9 coips are a hell of a lot better trained than the human ones.

Police Behaving Badly

^they never asked to be cops which is cruelty to animals IMO

Dogs and other domestic animals never asked to be born. We breed them for our own purposes--be it work, food, or companionship, One could argue--and some people do--that breeding any domestic animals is immoral. But if we are going to breed dogs, one could make a seriousl argument that a dog that is trained for certain tasks--like hunting, herding, hauling, etc etc--and spends a significant portion of its day doing those tasks is happier, less bored, and less neurotic than one that lies around the house all day waiting for its owner to come home.

My buddy's two collie/mutts that he uses as sheep dogs seem immeasurably happier than my neighbor's collie that has worn a path inside it's fence from chasing after everyone that walks past.

No one/nothing - animal, plant, mineral, planet, sun, universe "asks" to be born. Has nothing to do with being able to achieving hard wired, inherent physical programing. There is nothing more tragic than anything being forcibly kept from doing so.

Seems a bit removed from power drunk LEOs, however.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    No one/nothing - animal, plant, mineral, planet, sun, universe "asks" to be born. Has nothing to do with being able to achieving hard wired, inherent physical programing. There is nothing more tragic than anything being forcibly kept from doing so.

Seems a bit removed from power drunk LEOs, however.
    Power-drunk quick-trigger finger cops would be immeasureably more unhappy if they were forced to sit at a desk all day and take orders. If being sadistic bullies is in their nature they should be allowed to be cops.

If by unhappy you mean getting all disgruntled and shooting all their office mates with their legally (maybe) purchased MilSpec rifle, then yeah, not wise. But I would hope there're suitable professions for such individuals that don't involve beatings and murder opportunities.

If not then we're left with ...... lobotomies??

Maybe a repeat? Homeowner shot while on the phone with 911

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-911-rcna86450
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    If by unhappy you mean getting all disgruntled and shooting all their office mates with their legally (maybe) purchased MilSpec rifle, then yeah, not wise. But I would hope there're suitable professions for such individuals that don't involve beatings and murder opportunities.

If not then we're left with ...... lobotomies??
    I found surgery to be a socially acceptable form of sadism and the intellectual requirement is much less than you would think.
    Lobotomies not a bad idea either--I saw a violent career criminal who had been shot across his frontal lobes. He just sat cross legged in bed with a serene look on his face. Wide awake, but he didn't say much. Just answered simple questions when spoken to.

^^^Thats how they arrested Trump and his kids for charity fraud, right?