Page 128 of 233 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 5801
    Email sent to city of Phoenix comms person about how shitty their city is and how nobody is gonna visit, ever
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    +10929029302.. The days or courteous adult behavior from the police appear to be long gone. These are a bunch of PTSD suffering, trigger happy gulf and Iraq war vets who don't have any people skills and treat everyone like the enemy in a combat zone. Not meant to disrespect war veterans who are fucked up because of what they experienced... just saying that putting them in the position to put take it out on the general public back here at home isn't a good idea.
    WTF? That’s an extremely narrow view of PTSD and Veterans
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Police Behaving Badly

When you have police departments that don't want to hire "over educated" people as cops and combine that with ass covering bureaucrats that are afraid of lawsuits from choke hold and Rodney King style beat downs, it results in police training policy that focuses on overwhelming force as a deterrent. Any "Perceived" threat gets responded to w weapons drawn and often fired. This is the way cops are being trained, most don't get caught on video and most probably respond w less screaming, but this is the training for perceived threats. That's why even tho "bad cops" may only be 1 out of a thousand, that's still a lot of bad cops and it's systemic. Fuck em.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I saw an article about this situation yesterday w a couple of additional videos of the police. It all pissed me off so much I had to put the phone down and forgot to add it to the pile of shitty police in this thread.

What in the absolute fuck are these cops thinking? Short of responding to an armed robbery report, I can't think of any fucking justification for this. Fuck these guys.

Edit for link:
    Phoenix Police Threaten to Shoot a Pregnant Woman After Her Daughter Reportedly Stole a Doll

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...oll-theft.html
    Agreed, that is some ridiculous overreaction and I'm fuming after watching that, and I usually give a lot of leeway to cops. I'm curious if the cops have the cameras in their vehicles and on their person like you often see. HOw could these officers think this was justified? And to say the cops are PTSD suffering war vets is also way f'd up. I think almost everything gets caught on video somehow nowadays and it boggles my mind that the cops aren't aware of that, or that they think this is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    WTF? That’s an extremely narrow view of PTSD and Veterans
    https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...t-on-the-badge

My father died from PTSD related illness. He's buried in Arlington. To ignore the widescale impact these wars have on society and working veterans is an extremely narrow view but keep waving that flag..

Probably also a valid variable to add is how many of these cops are using/abusing steroids..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post

Phoenix finiest really outdid themselves.
    Turns out this kid took a $5 toy from a dollar store and a witness called the Police. I can only speculate that the one calling the police must have said it was the parents or something else because if that caller said a kid did it and they reacted like this then I say "fuck fuck the police"
    Some quotes from the police here:

“I’m guna put a cap in your fucking head,”

“You’re going to get fucking shot,”

What's really fucked up about this one is the cops were going off of an anonymous tip.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...t-on-the-badge

My father died from PTSD related illness. He's buried in Arlington. To ignore the widescale impact these wars have on society and working veterans is an extremely narrow view but keep waving that flag..

Probably also a valid variable to add is how many of these cops are using/abusing steroids..
    The authors of that article made a number of conclusions even while stating that there isn’t sufficient information available on the subject
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post

What's really fucked up about this one is the cops were going off of an anonymous tip.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the cop and the Department spin this as "I was communicating in a way that was clear to the suspect" nonsense.

The authors of that article made a number of conclusions even while stating that there isn’t sufficient information available on the subject
    So you see no correlation between the increase in police brutality and higher number of combat veterans serving on the police forces? Or is it just a coincidence??

Police Behaving Badly

Irrelevant as far as Im concerned either way because the bigger issue is this behavior is a consequence of the training policies and procedures depts everywhere are using. That's the bigger systemic problem.

Irrelevant as far as Im concerned either way because the bigger issue is this behavior is a consequence of the training policies and procedures depts everywhere are using. That's the bigger systemic problem.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post

Yeah but the suspects were black.

So you see no correlation between the increase in police brutality and higher number of combat veterans serving on the police forces? Or is it just a coincidence??
    That's quite a stretch IMO. We don't know that there is increased police brutality. Much more likely is the increased use of cellphone cameras that are now capturing this behavior. Nothing is not videoed nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    That's quite a stretch IMO. We don't know that there is increased police brutality. Much more likely is the increased use of cellphone cameras that are now capturing this behavior. Nothing is not videoed nowadays.
    It's difficult to document because of the refusal of agencies to track their documented instances of misconduct. However, I'm not the only one who sees it as getting worse post 911..

Post 9/11
    Protest against police brutality in New York City, December 2014

Numerous human rights observers have raised concerns about increased police brutality in the U.S. after the attacks of September 11, 2001. An extensive report prepared for the United Nations Human Rights Committee, published in 2006, states that in the U.S. the "War on Terror" has "created a generalized climate of impunity for law enforcement officers, and contributed to the erosion of what few accountability mechanisms exist for civilian control over law enforcement agencies. As a result, police brutality and abuse persist unabated and undeterred across the country."[38] During the "war on terror", there has been noted increases in enforcement power for officers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police..._United_States

When I was a kid virtually every single cop was either a WW2 or Korean War vet. Most had seen way more brutal combat than our current vets. And we did not have this problem.

THIS. Steroid use combined with absolutely shitty training are the root cause.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    When I was a kid virtually every single cop was either a WW2 or Korean War vet. Most had seen way more brutal combat than our current vets. And we did not have this problem.
    ^^^^Unless you were a black person marching to Mississippi or protesting white supremacy anywhere in the south??

Post WWII and Korea there were far more opportunities for veterans than joining the police force. There were plenty of better, and better paying jobs to go around with the US being the only major player whose entire manufacturing factory base wasn't in ruins. People who weren't stable enough to work the force had more alternatives. Also in the 70s and 80s being a combat vet was the exception instead of the norm for those with military experience. Seems like cops were way cooler during the 70s-early 90s IMHO. Even late 60s and early 70s most only did one or two years in Vietnam. These days people do several years deployed in the middle east. So, more anecdotal opinion IMHO..

+1 in the steriod abuse being another factor.. mentioned it way up but glad others agree on that.

It's difficult to document because of the refusal of agencies to track their documented instances of misconduct. However, I'm not the only one who sees it as getting worse post 911..
    Gore had just invented the internet back then, so this stuff didn't get circulated like it does nowadays.

Police Behaving Badly

It's gotten worse but I think it more a reaction to policy changes after Rodney King than 911. And I think Rodney King type beatings resulted from policy changes that forbid the arm bar choke.
    -> Can't choke em out, then we will beat them into submission. When they weren't allowed to beat into submission any more, they pulled the guns and threaten or do shoot into submission. All the results of lawsuit aversion w the Brass be it right or wrong
    Last edited by mcski; 06-15-2019 at 08:45 PM.

I’m guessing that you haven’t served in the military because the assumption that many civilians have that combat veterans are a bunch trigger happy goons that need to kill people to make it through the day is wrong

I’m guessing that you haven’t served in the military because the assumption that many civilians have that combat veterans are a bunch trigger happy goons that need to kill people to make it through the day is wrong
    Never assumed that about all of them, just the ones in the video above along with other over the top cops.

I grew up in a military family. My dad died from a PTSD related illness after a 20 year highly decorated military career. He's buried at Arlington, so I've got some idea..

Half of my friends who did military service are dead... most from similar problems.. None of them are what I'd call 100% stable. We're destroying ourselves, I don't blame the vets, I blame what they are being subjected to.. and for NOTHING!

Never assumed that about all of them, just the ones in the video above along with other over the top cops.

I grew up in a military family. My dad died from a PTSD related illness after a 20 year highly decorated military career. He's buried at Arlington, so I've got some idea..

Half of my friends who did military service are dead... most from similar problems.. None of them are what I'd call 100% stable. We're destroying ourselves, I don't blame the vets, I blame what they are being subjected to.. and for NOTHING!
    Yes, but you are assuming that these cops are veterans with PTSD. Any data to support that?

This. I have no idea who thought that police screaming and yelling will get through to people in chaotic, dangerous situations. Good cops know how to de-escalate situations not make them worse.

SumJongGuy - just.stop.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Yes, but you are assuming that these cops are veterans with PTSD. Any data to support that?
    Only data I've seen is that roughly 20% of active police are vets. I'm of the "opinion" that everyone who sees real combat suffers from PTSD to some degree. It's only human to be at least somewhat traumatized by horrific experiences. Odds are at least one or two of those what 8 cops, is a vet with obvious issues. I don't care what kind of training they had or didn't have. Only someone seriously mentally fucked up treats people like that.

Not walking that back... Out for now though.. Nothing more to add..

Police Behaving Badly

Only data I've seen is that roughly 20% of active police are vets. I'm of the "opinion" that everyone who sees real combat suffers from PTSD to some degree. It's only human to be at least somewhat traumatized by horrific experiences. Odds are at least one or two of those what 8 cops, is a vet with obvious issues. I don't care what kind of training they had or didn't have. Only someone seriously mentally fucked up treats people like that.

Not walking that back... Out for now though.. Nothing more to add..
    Just because they are veterans on the police force doesn’t mean they participated in combat with the enemy , over 80% of the jobs are support for combat arms. The Air National Guardsman in the article is prime example plus there is no mention of what he had done on the job as a police officer in Newark NJ prior to going to Iraq. I suspect he had issues prior with PTSD like many first responders