Page 6 of 233 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Police Behaving Badly

http://news.yahoo.com/ferguson-prose...000602852.html

Aaaand witness 40 was officially full of shit, according to Wilsons defense attorney, Bob M. So weird..

"While investigators doubted her story, McCulloch said the woman was allowed to testify because “early on, I decided that anyone who claimed to have witnessed anything would be presented to the grand jury.”

^Smoke screen and typical bs.

Oopsie Daisy... Hate when that happens...Especially with a former weapons instructor...

"Police Chief Who ‘Accidentally’ Shot His Wife Twice Had Been Divorced By Her, and Caught Cheating"

"....McCollom has told investigators that it wasn’t him, but instead his Glock service pistol that “automatically” shot his wife Margaret… twice, according to local CBS 46."...

"McCollom has been placed on paid administrative leave but has not been arrested."

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...ally-divorced/

Super Cops behaving badly ....

"FBI says search warrants not needed to use “stingrays” in public places"

"The Federal Bureau of Investigation is taking the position that court warrants are not required when deploying cell-site simulators in public places. Nicknamed "stingrays," the devices are decoy cell towers that capture locations and identities of mobile phone users and can intercept calls and texts."

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...public-places/

So you see here, if we simply constrain some of your rights.. (insert remainder of ends justify means drivel).

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Super Cops behaving badly ....

"FBI says search warrants not needed to use “stingrays” in public places"

"The Federal Bureau of Investigation is taking the position that court warrants are not required when deploying cell-site simulators in public places. Nicknamed "stingrays," the devices are decoy cell towers that capture locations and identities of mobile phone users and can intercept calls and texts."

In the Intelligence Squared debate on spying, John Yoo (author of the Torture Memos to the CIA) argues that as soon as we share our data with a third party we lose any expectation or right to privacy. If you use a cell phone, it's not private.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Yoo

http://intelligencesquaredus.org/deb...urth-amendment

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    If you use a cell phone, it's not private.
    Cash for pre pay 30 day phone. New phone/number when it runs out.

Private as fuck.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Private as Fuck?... I doubt using a prepay phone keeps your signal private.

In the Intelligence Squared debate on spying, John Yoo (author of the Torture Memos to the CIA) argues that as soon as we share our data with a third party we lose any expectation or right to privacy. If you use a cell phone, it's not private.
    When I shared my phone convo's through ma bell they needed a warrant, or at least they pretended to. If I send a letter, does that mean I am sharing it with a third party, USPS, and they can open my mail any time they see fit?

Used to be that FBI would need a warrant to listen in or intercept with a reasonable cause. Now the FBI and your local PD's are listening in, reading your texts etc. willy nilly....

Good times.

Used to be that FBI would need a warrant to listen in or intercept with a reasonable cause. Now the FBI and your local PD's are listening in, reading your texts etc. willy nilly....
    They are? Source?

Oopsie Daisy... Hate when that happens...Especially with a former weapons instructor...

"Police Chief Who ‘Accidentally’ Shot His Wife Twice Had Been Divorced By Her, and Caught Cheating"

"....McCollom has told investigators that it wasn’t him, but instead his Glock service pistol that “automatically” shot his wife Margaret… twice, according to local CBS 46."...

"McCollom has been placed on paid administrative leave but has not been arrested."

"The trial was in the morning and they drug me out of bed
    Asked me how I pleaded, not guilty I said
    Not guilty I said, you've got the wrong man
    Nothing touched the trigger but the devil's right hand." S. Earle

Sure is nice to know cops can shoot people with impunity on or off the job now. W T F !

John Yoo
    High on my list of "People I Wouldn't Be Sad To Hear Had Been Hit By A Bus Or Eaten By A Grizzly Bear"

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    They are? Source?
    Well, according to that article they are and want to expand their ability to do so. Per the Snowden documents the NSA sure as shit is.

They are? Source?
    Tipp, I bet you would be a kick ass journalist or writer though, but you missed this tidbit. Basically they gather all the information at a location and weed out what they want.

Here was the speculation of fact;

Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Private as Fuck?... I doubt using a prepay phone keeps your signal private.
    Why does the signal need to be private, if the user is completely anonymous?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Tipp, I bet you would be a kick ass journalist or writer though, but you missed this tidbit. Basically they gather all the information at a location and weed out what they want.

Here was the speculation of fact;

There is a small but important difference between "CAN intercept calls and texts" and "ARE intercepting calls and texts." I can legally buy a gun and could possibly shoot you in the face, but...

With copper wire they could have intercepted any phone call as well, but only did so with a warrant. This tech is just bringing that capability into the wireless world.

doughboyshredder Guest
    LOL @ tippster. Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Why does the signal need to be private, if the user is completely anonymous?
    "The Police Department had only made public a heavily redacted purchase order for $33,000, but Electronic Frontier found the city’s grant application. It showed that in 2009 the Police Department applied for $738,000 to buy the Stingray. The device works by mimicking cellphone towers. By capturing signals from targeted cellphones, police can obtain locations, outgoing calls, text messages and other information."

WSJ...2011...
    "Stingrays are one of several new technologies used by law enforcement to track people's locations, often without a search warrant."

"Stingrays are designed to locate a mobile phone even when it's not being used to make a call."

I can track an iphone, but I have to know the person's number. LEO would have to know the number they are looking for.

A pre-paid phone bought with cash, and changed out every 30 days, is the "safest" way to do criminal shit over the phone. Granted there are more anonymous ways of communication through shared email accounts, and whatnot.

I could care less if someone is listening to my calls or getting my texts, because I obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    I could care less if someone is listening to my calls or getting my texts, because I obey the law.
    Getting real sick of hearing Americans say that for justification to infringe on our rights. You give up these rights, you never get them back, and even programs like this can, and will be, abused.

Those willing to surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. -Ben Franklin

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Given that there are security cameras everywhere--if you know the location of the phone and it's in a public place chances are you can figure out who's using it. Or you just follow people and record their calls--as in The Wire (but they had warrants). And if it's in a private place--well you know who owns/rents the place.

Doesn't matter if you're liberal or conservative--when the government acts in secrecy bad things happen. When anyone acts in secrecy bad things happen--how many of us wouldn't cheat on our taxes or our wives if we were sure of getting away with it. Requiring warrants at least makes sure there's another set of eyes watching what the government is doing. As far as having nothing to worry about if you obey the law--let the government have unbridled power and pretty soon we're all criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Getting real sick of hearing Americans say that for justification to infringe on our rights. You give up these rights, you never get them back, and even programs like this can, and will be, abused.

Those willing to surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. -Ben Franklin

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    I don't agree with it, but I am also not about to move because of it.

Nor am I naive enough to think, it hasn't been happening for a long time.

Shittin rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    LOL @ tippster. Just wow.
    I don't get your point. Are you saying this is different than what they could do back in the copper wire and snail mail world? How so?

I'm all for changing the FISA rules, but that's up to us to do via our Congressional representatives -- actually it's up to you. I have no representation in Congress. Good luck w/that.

Are you saying this is different than what they could do back in the copper wire and snail mail world? How so?
    The copper wire and snail mail world required warrants. This is different because they are saying that if they place a stingray in a public place, they don't need a warrant to use any of the data the device collects. This effectively means any communication sent to or from any cell phone within the stringray's range can be monitored without a warrant. In an age when a large and rapidly growing percentage of calls and other communications are made on cell phones, that's fucking scary.

I read it that simply placing the stingrays is within the law, just as installing taps at the phone junctions was within the law in the wired days. Collecting more than call meta-data, which every provider already collects and has since the invention of the telephone, still needs a warrant. Hey - we'll see what the courts decide. Good thing that we have a law-writing body that can modify current law as necessary. (HAH)

I read it that simply placing the stingrays is within the law...
    Is that anything like "I tried it, but I didn't inhale"?