Page 5 of 233 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    one of the several things NH does right is this issue of small town govt
    if you live in a small enough town, at least
    not sure it holds in Manchester
    Manchester? That's Northern Mass. not NH.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    The real Gentle Giant.

The real some dude in Dallas in 2012. It didn't take but a few seconds of googling to find out it's not him. But then again that's longer than just forwarding on RWNJ bullshit.

Snopes on the video above.

Only 5 pages, guess the rampant abuse of power by the police isn't really so rampant.

The real Gentle Giant.

C'mon Ken, aren't you an attorney? You really think that is Mike Brown?

Cops tazers 76 year old for pointing out he has dealer tags.
    http://www.wnd.com/2014/12/trigger-h...76-with-taser/
    Last edited by neufox47; 12-16-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Had my own run in with some not so nice cops last Friday. Went out to the bars with a buddy. Driving home my friend gets pulled over. He had been drinking so they do the sobriety tests blah blah blah.

Long story short he gets a DUI. He deserved it for driving after drinking, but sucks for him since he only had a few drinks, and was barely over the legal limit. He's the kind of person who can handle his alcohol well... and he really was not intoxicated at all. Whatever... he was over the limit so I get it.

I am sitting in the passenger seat and was very cooperative the whole time. the cops arrest my friend and ask me how I am getting home. I ask if they can give me a ride. "No can do, we need to be on call at all times."

Ok, fine. I tell them Ill just walk home.. "We can't let you walk home since you have had a few beers and it would be our fault if something happened to you."

WTF? So what am I supposed to do if I can't walk?

Cops tell me I need to get a ride and it needs to get here within the next 20 minutes. We are out in the middle of nowhere and it's late at night. So I start calling some people. Call my girlfriend but she is drunk and can't get me. No one is picking up since its late at night. Finally get in touch with someone who can come get me, but he lives way across on the other side of town. At this point 10 of my 20 minutes had passed.

I tell the cops that I found a ride but its gonna be a few minutes.

"Who is picking you up? Let us use your phone to call him so we can confirm he is actually coming to get you." I reply "uhh no I just called him and he said he's coming. I'm not going to call him back and bother him. Why do you personally need to call him? I told you he is coming."

At this point the cops ask me to step out of the car. Fine, I step out of the car. Before I know it the handcuffs are on me. I am shocked and ask why they are arresting me. Cops reply "you aren't under arrest, you"re going to detox." I'm getting pissed at this point and ask why I'm going to detox. Response: if you won't let us call your friend to confirm he is coming you are going to detox."

Fine. I tell the cops to call my friend. With my handcuffs still on the cops call my friend and tell him to hurry up. They then proceed to search through my phone and read all my text messages. They keep threatening that if my friend doesn't arrive soon they will put me in detox. I tell them that detox will cost me 500 dollars and there is no way I can afford that. "Tough luck" is the response.

My friend finally arrives and they take the handcuffs off and let me go.

No apology, not even a trace of remorse from the cops.

I used to be the type of person who had respect for some cops but not after this encounter. Seriously, is that even legal how they treated me? I was respectful and cooperative the whole time only to have them cuff me and search my phone.

Fuck cops. Dirty jack booted thugs. Fucking pigs.

I feel like I should file a complaint but I'm sure it's totally useless. Collective thoughts on this situation?

doughboyshredder Guest
    The real Gentle Giant.

Them black people all look alike, right?

Idiot. That's not Mike Brown.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Had my own run in with some not so nice cops last Friday. Went out to the bars with a buddy. Driving home my friend gets pulled over. He had been drinking so they do the sobriety tests blah blah blah.

Long story short he gets a DUI. He deserved it for driving after drinking, but sucks for him since he only had a few drinks, and was barely over the legal limit. He's the kind of person who can handle his alcohol well... and he really was not intoxicated at all. Whatever... he was over the limit so I get it.

I am sitting in the passenger seat and was very cooperative the whole time. the cops arrest my friend and ask me how I am getting home. I ask if they can give me a ride. "No can do, we need to be on call at all times."

Ok, fine. I tell them Ill just walk home.. "We can't let you walk home since you have had a few beers and it would be our fault if something happened to you."

Cops tell me I need to get a ride and it needs to get here within the next 20 minutes. We are out in the middle of nowhere and it's late at night. So I start calling some people. Call my girlfriend but she is drunk and can't get me. No one is picking up since its late at night. Finally get in touch with someone who can come get me, but he lives way across on the other side of town. At this point 10 of my 20 minutes had passed.

"Who is picking you up? Let us use your phone to call him so we can confirm he is actually coming to get you." I reply "uhh no I just called him and he said he's coming. I'm not going to call him back and bother him. Why do you personally need to call him? I told you he is coming."

At this point the cops ask me to step out of the car. Fine, I step out of the car. Before I know it the handcuffs are on me. I am shocked and ask why they are arresting me. Cops reply "you aren't under arrest, you"re going to detox." I'm getting pissed at this point and ask why I'm going to detox. Response: if you won't let us call your friend to confirm he is coming you are going to detox."

Fine. I tell the cops to call my friend. With my handcuffs still on the cops call my friend and tell him to hurry up. They then proceed to search through my phone and read all my text messages. They keep threatening that if my friend doesn't arrive soon they will put me in detox. I tell them that detox will cost me 500 dollars and there is no way I can afford that. "Tough luck" is the response.

I used to be the type of person who had respect for some cops but not after this encounter. Seriously, is that even legal how they treated me? I was respectful and cooperative the whole time only to have them cuff me and search my phone.

I feel like I should file a complaint but I'm sure it's totally useless. Collective thoughts on this situation?
    Your rights were clearly violated IMO.

I would try to find a lawyer and at a minimum file a complaint.

WTF is dat ... Consider yourself lucky.

Doughboy .... Lawyering up and filing a complaint will just cost you money and more trouble for yourself...Nothing will happen to that cop.

"Richmond officer found with marijuana in home won't face charges"

http://www.contracostatimes.com/brea...t-face-charges

He had 4-5 pounds of pot in his house.

Somehow he still has his house, his car, his benefits etc.... How badly would you be fucked over?

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    C'mon Ken, aren't you an attorney? You really think that is Mike Brown?
    they all look the same to some folks

That's right, they don't have time to take you home, but they do have the time to phone someone, read all your shit, wait for your ride, if no ride shows up take you into the drunk tank and process you... makes sense. I fucking hate cops, too. Always there to fuck with you when you don't need them and never there when you do, has been my experience.

The only time I've ever called the cops on someone I spent the entire weekend in jail because I couldn't see a judge until Monday and they got their story fucked up. I knew never to call the cops unless you needed them, now I know not to call the cops unless it's life or death.

My other encounter with the cops (DUI) I was completely cooperative and they roughed me up really good for no reason. It also took 6 cop cars and over 10 cops to take me in. Only to have a guilt trip on the way in about taking over 10 cops off the street to deal with me... Fuck the police.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

spook Guest
    shocker

My least favorite interaction with johnny law: driving a camaro in rural Virginia. Mustang GT pulls up, guy looks over and proceeds to go a little ahead then a little behind for a minute or so. I mash the gas and ease off a little shy of 110mph in 4th, only to see the undercover lights blinking on the Mustang. 105 in a 55, method of tracking speed? pacing . The prosecutor agreed to reduce it to 74/55 (just shy of reckless driving) because he was familiar with the cop and knew it was an improper stop. Looking back maybe it should have been thrown out? Idk.

Stating the obvious, if their job is to "PROTECT and serve", wouldn't enticing someone to drag race go directly against that? Handing you an invite to race against him at one of those "Race Against the Cops" at the drag strip flyers would have been much more appropriate, obviously.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Ms and they take the handcy friend finally arriveuffs off and let me go.

When I was 21 - 23 there was a cop in my town that did not like me and would pick me any time he saw me walking down the road and take me to "detox". I never had to pay any money but Id get released and have to get home somehow. The more I complained to his superior the more he would pick me up. Complaining help a little in my case in that all my complaints kept him from getting promotions. Anyway karma caught up with him and his family sad really.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Stating the obvious, if their job is to "PROTECT and serve", wouldn't enticing someone to drag race go directly against that? Handing you an invite to race against him at one of those "Race Against the Cops" at the drag strip flyers would have been much more appropriate, obviously.
    goobie is a victim of da pigz making him race

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Manchester? That's Northern Mass. not NH.
    now you stop that right now. statism is reprehensible and ugly.

They then proceed to search through my phone and read all my text messages.
    Earlier this year the Supreme Court unanimously ruled that they must have a warrant to search your phone. Filing a complaint is probably useless, but I would do it on principle alone. Was your friend's phone also searched? Your local ACLU might be very interested in knowing that the PD is searching people's cell phones without warrants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/us...vacy.html?_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    "Richmond officer found with marijuana in home won't face charges"

http://www.contracostatimes.com/brea...t-face-charges

He had 4-5 pounds of pot in his house.

Somehow he still has his house, his car, his benefits etc.... How badly would you be fucked over?
    10:1 you'd be looking at Possession with Intent to Distribute at a minimum, which is a felony punishable by 16-36 months imprisonment.

http://norml.org/laws/item/california-penalties

Worst interaction I had w/a cop was a long time ago (1988?) at a Dead show at the Capitol Center - notice: long before cellphones were a thing. Friend of ours had driven 6 of us to the show, then he and his GF disappeared somewhere in the lot after the concert. We were hanging around his car, a '68 Caddy convertible with the top down, waiting for them to finish fucking or whatever... and cops pull up.

Officer fuckhead starts screaming at us to leave, doesn't seem to understand that we weren't the owner of the car and didn't have the keys. Fucker starts jabbing us with his nightstick, yelling "get in the fucking car!" So we hop into the car and sit in our seats - all occupied except for driver and front middle. Cop goes fucking ballistic and threatens my buddy by swinging his stick over his head repeatedly. I start pleading with his partner, trying to get the still somewhat sane one to understand the situation - he inserts himself between the raving douchebag and the car. The crazy guy starts babbling about "fucking hippies" and "beating some respect into us" etc. PG County cops at the time were known to be pretty fucking brutal and getting away with it.

Eventually another squad car shows up and a Sargeant gets out, understands the situation, and orders the dickhead to get in his car and go police the exit. FINALLY my buddy + GF show up, cops give him a $100 ticket for "trespassing" and we leave. Goddamn I wanted to punch both of them in the fucking throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Your local ACLU might be very interested in knowing that the PD is searching people's cell phones without warrants.
    yes, they'd like the chance to pose at wanting to help while actually legitimating the practice

Guns aren't the problem, cops aren't the problem, they are manifestations of the problem.

The problem is the piss poor society we've created, particularly around the edges. What do we value ? Not what do we say we value but what we actually reward. Making money and safety, not actually being safe but our perception of being safe.

Our system rewards profit by almost any means, you can do terrible terrible things to your fellow humans as long as you make money because that's the singular self defined purpose of what we do here. Nearly everything is evaluated with economic glasses, we have created an industry around law enforcement, when people can make money through civil forfeiture and incarceration, etc etc you've effectively incentiveized people into acting like dicks because the goal isn't crime reduction it's making money. The police aren't good or bad, they are a business because of this they have tremendous incentive to actively seek profit vehicles like DUI and traffic stops in shitty parts of town. That isn't fighting crime, very little actual proactive crime fighting occurs because that shit is expensive and difficult. Why go after the big drug players when you can just pop poor generally non-white people and get them in the system. Fine them something they can't afford, every time they can't pay the money that they don't have add more money and when they don't pay that throw them in your buddies for profit jail. Have you improved the crime situation ? Are you actively preventing crime ? Of course not but that isn't the goal of our system, that's the lie we tell ourselves to justify endless stupid bullshit.

We also value saftey, certainly reasonable but not actual saftey but rather the perception of saftey. We are safe, America is a great place to live, there has never been a better time to be alive, in every possible metric now is the safest best time to be alive. Yet we act as if the opposite was true. You have X % of the population that is convinced the 60's were way safer although they were considerably more dangerous, you have x% of the population that is convinced a rapist, kidnapper, murder, pedo is right around the corner waiting for a 1/4 second slip up to steal their kid and rape their family even though all of that is just incredibly rare. Never mind that they will drive all over hell talking to their bff suzy on a cell phone while doing 70 in a 45 paying zero attention. This is driven by basic ways in which the human brain works and because big surprise lots of people make lots of money if your a scared little POS, driven to crazy positions on issues by nothing more than delusional fear. We all colectivelyh shit our pants over a bunch of dumb farmers from the ME to the tune of trillions of dollars and 100000's of lives but can't get 10 dollars for shit that actually improves our situation because you know socialism or something else stupid.

That shit is hard right so we aren't going to do it. It's way easier to have racist old white guys pretend the problem is poor black males are for white SJW's to pretend all cops everywhere are racist shitholes hell bent on shooting everyone. They are both and neither.

What we can do that is quick, painless and will help to some degree is one body cameras for urban police officers. This helps everyone including the officers. Two stop selling them our surplus military equipment, the military for all it's faults is a well trained, disciplined force who actually understands what is going on a far higher level than the police. If an army dude in Iraq points his gun at someone it's because he's going to shoot them, here in America you have johnny fucking I got C's through high school and have a tiny dick waving tricked out surplus military gear at everyone and anyone.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Earlier this year the Supreme Court unanimously ruled that they must have a warrant to search your phone. Filing a complaint is probably useless, but I would do it on principle alone. Was your friend's phone also searched? Your local ACLU might be very interested in knowing that the PD is searching people's cell phones without warrants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/us...vacy.html?_r=0
    I thought that, too.

But, talking to one of my buddies in law school he said that by allowing the cops to use my phone to call my friend I consented to them searching the phone. still seems like bullshit given the fact that I was in handcuffs and the ultimatum was to either let them use my phone or go to detox.

"Retiree dies in police custody after traffic stop"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/possible...florida-death/

Last Updated Dec 17, 2014 8:10 AM EST

"In May, a routine traffic stop turned deadly for a Michigan retiree, but cell phone video seemed to contradict police accounts of the event.

As in other cases involving allegations of excessive force by police, a grand jury called to look into Charles Eimers' death chose not to indict the officers. Now, a new video is raising questions about what that grand jury didn't see, CBS News' Elaine Quijano reports."

Attorney: Did you ever see any sand on his face?

Officer Nicholas Galbo: No.

Attorney: Ever?

Galbo: No.

Attorney: Did you ever see his face?

Galbo: Yes.

Officer Gabriel Garrido: His face was not face down. His face was to the side.

Attorney: When you were at the scene with Mr. Eimers, was he bleeding?

Officer Thaddeus Calvert: Not that I didn't see any obvious signs of like, bleeding.

But not long after taking that sworn testimony, Eimers' attorneys discovered a new video, with a close-up of Eimers after he lost consciousness covered in sand and bleeding from his right ear.

In the video, Nicholas Galbo can be seen, the same officer who said under oath that he never saw sand on Eimers face."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/key-west...-eimers-death/

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    Guns aren't the problem, cops aren't the problem, they are manifestations of the problem.

The problem is the piss poor society we've created, particularly around the edges. What do we value ? Not what do we say we value but what we actually reward. Making money and safety, not actually being safe but our perception of being safe.

Our system rewards profit by almost any means, you can do terrible terrible things to your fellow humans as long as you make money because that's the singular self defined purpose of what we do here. Nearly everything is evaluated with economic glasses, we have created an industry around law enforcement, when people can make money through civil forfeiture and incarceration, etc etc you've effectively incentiveized people into acting like dicks because the goal isn't crime reduction it's making money. The police aren't good or bad, they are a business because of this they have tremendous incentive to actively seek profit vehicles like DUI and traffic stops in shitty parts of town. That isn't fighting crime, very little actual proactive crime fighting occurs because that shit is expensive and difficult. Why go after the big drug players when you can just pop poor generally non-white people and get them in the system. Fine them something they can't afford, every time they can't pay the money that they don't have add more money and when they don't pay that throw them in your buddies for profit jail. Have you improved the crime situation ? Are you actively preventing crime ? Of course not but that isn't the goal of our system, that's the lie we tell ourselves to justify endless stupid bullshit.

We also value saftey, certainly reasonable but not actual saftey but rather the perception of saftey. We are safe, America is a great place to live, there has never been a better time to be alive, in every possible metric now is the safest best time to be alive. Yet we act as if the opposite was true. You have X % of the population that is convinced the 60's were way safer although they were considerably more dangerous, you have x% of the population that is convinced a rapist, kidnapper, murder, pedo is right around the corner waiting for a 1/4 second slip up to steal their kid and rape their family even though all of that is just incredibly rare. Never mind that they will drive all over hell talking to their bff suzy on a cell phone while doing 70 in a 45 paying zero attention. This is driven by basic ways in which the human brain works and because big surprise lots of people make lots of money if your a scared little POS, driven to crazy positions on issues by nothing more than delusional fear. We all colectivelyh shit our pants over a bunch of dumb farmers from the ME to the tune of trillions of dollars and 100000's of lives but can't get 10 dollars for shit that actually improves our situation because you know socialism or something else stupid.

That shit is hard right so we aren't going to do it. It's way easier to have racist old white guys pretend the problem is poor black males are for white SJW's to pretend all cops everywhere are racist shitholes hell bent on shooting everyone. They are both and neither.

What we can do that is quick, painless and will help to some degree is one body cameras for urban police officers. This helps everyone including the officers. Two stop selling them our surplus military equipment, the military for all it's faults is a well trained, disciplined force who actually understands what is going on a far higher level than the police. If an army dude in Iraq points his gun at someone it's because he's going to shoot them, here in America you have johnny fucking I got C's through high school and have a tiny dick waving tricked out surplus military gear at everyone and anyone.
    As usual you are right on the money.