Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Prices.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    he only time people seem to pay attention is when fuel prices go up, very short attention spans

I did that whole calculation on a better quality cocktail napkin when I was a road warrior, I bought 2 TDi's claimed CCA, wrote off expenses yada yada

The TDi made $ sense when diesel was .12 cents a liter cheaper than RUG 20 yars ago but not really when diesel was the same or more
    Yeah, the TDI is a little painful now that diesel is $5.50/gallon.

At the time, with a 100 mile per day commute the dieselgate TDI was the best compromise of comfort and cost of ownership. It probably wouldn’t make the list today.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    In JH:

$4.18 reg.

$4.89 Dsl
    Ooof.
    Ouch.

WY has one of the lowest gas taxes.
    . . .

Found diesel here in E. Tenn. for $3.99.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Ice T's hands were trembling because he makes too many cold calls. #sellout

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ooof.
    Ouch.

WY has one of the lowest gas taxes.
    Those were the lowest in town too. A mile or so outta town and it jumps by about50-70 cents per.
    Gougers on the storm of tourists.

My TDI wagon takes 14.5 gallons. Even with the higher cost, the mileage breaks even in under 3 gallons and then I'm out distancing anything getting below 35 mpg's.

That's my maths and i'm sticking to 'em...

agoraphobics are laughing at all you suckers from the comfort of their homes.

Oh gosh darn, the cost of electricity is going up. I wonder what gas will increase over the next 3 years.

BC Hydro applied to the commission for the rate change last September as part of a three-year revenue requirements application. BC Hydro requested an annual average bill increase of 1.1% over the three-year period.

April 1, 2022: decrease of 1.4%
    April 1, 2023: increase of 2%
    April 1, 2024: increase of 2.7%

CT suspended its $.25/gal gas tax through the end of June. The difference now is approaching $1/gal in some of the border towns.

$6.29 still here in Truckee. We are still WINNING!

Walk, bike, longboard and UTA ftw. Have only driven 42 miles in the past three weeks.

Paid $5.09 for diesel in Bend 4/2/2022
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Gas prices dropped 40 cents per gallon in the last 3 days here in Northern Wisconsin.

Was $4.09
    Now $3.69

Thanks Brandon !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

My $3.99 diesel station got a new shipment. Now at $4.89
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

RUG was $4.099 at Costco in Colchester yesterday. $4.199 in the wild.

We got our tanks refilled last week here at school. Diesel #2 is still being charged at $5.29. I just blew through $1,500 of fuel this morning to get four buses topped up!

Hopefully gas prices stay elevated for a few years at least. >$5 gallon gas and diesel will drive a lot more electric car demand and have people who drive a giant vehicle as a commuter reconsider a more fuel efficient car.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Hopefully gas prices stay elevated for a few years at least. >$5 gallon gas and diesel will drive a lot more electric car demand and have people who drive a giant vehicle as a commuter reconsider a more fuel efficient car.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g3...ing-cars-2021/

Top 3 vehicles on that list are trucks, with the F150 at number 1.

The answer is better public transit / mass transit. Electric cars are just punting an existing problem further down the road.

^^Some places will never be mass transit appropriate and many people don't live close to a mass transit appropriate corridor, especially with the recent move out of the cities over the last two years.

So it makes sense to spend $30k (or more) to save $1-2k per year? Not so much... If I doubled my mpg that would be about 1k gallons/yr so a dollar or two per gallon difference takes a long time to balance out that new vehicle purchase and I drive more than double as much as the typical American at 30-35k miles/yr. Somebody that drives 10-12k/yr would be foolish to ditch their current ride for a new one if the current one is fully paid for if saving on fuel costs is the primary reason.

Millions of new cars are sold every year.

People are switching, upgrading, leasing, etc, already.

Some of the geographic layout of our cities and public transport is due to cheap fuel. Sort of a chicken or the egg problem now though.

I tend to think that unless we get a commensurate rise in electricity prices, public transport will still struggle against the automobile.

15,000 miles @ 15 mpg = 1,000 gals * 5 = $5000/yr

@30 mpg = $2500/yr

15,000 miles @ $.04/mile @ $.13kwh = $450

People buy new cars all the time.

Fuel Prices.

Urban development in the US tends to go out, not up.
    The more we spread ourselves thin, instead of grouping up in clusters, the more we require individual vehicles.

Urban spaces allow us to make better economy of resources even as we intensify use in that place.

I’ve worked on projects where we suggested multi floor construction & the owners looked around at the open spaces around them & said “why?” Well, so you can continue to have open spaces…

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    The answer is better public transit / mass transit. Electric cars are just punting an existing problem further down the road.
    Ah yes.
    Train to the ski hills. Like 1920. Or 1880
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    15,000 miles @ 15 mpg = 1,000 gals * 5 = $5000/yr

@30 mpg = $2500/yr

15,000 miles @ $.04/mile @ $.13kwh = $450

People buy new cars all the time.
    Plug-ins were a little over 12% of new vehicle sales last year in California, well above the national average. Nationwide about 4% of new vehicle sales (600k of 15 million new vehicles). Total us vehicle fleet is ~300 million. Change ain’t gonna come quick. And plenty of new vehicle ev sales are big, heavy, energy guzzlers driven around by a single person. Still need all the infrastructure- roads, parking spaces, etc that drive us energy consumption

as long as the us is filled with childlike morons who treat it as their god driven right to drive an f350 to the ski hill at 85mph everyday, and insist they are entitled to $1/gallon gasoline by magic, nothings gonna change