Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    That's everyday, always, here in my border town. Before the border restrictions Canadians would cause long lines at the local Costco because they were filling (sometimes multiple) 5 gal jerry cans to take back north.

A good chunk of that difference is (obviously) taxes so it doesn't change with oil prices.
    hopefully they are not filling plastic bags
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    I do think there is an argument to be made that companies jacking prices on staples while handing out bonuses should be disincentivized. Taxes, social shaming, prices controls, something.
    So stiff the workers that we also claim to want to help?

Reality is that 1:5 kids in the US already experience some level of daily hunger (IE- a missed meal). This isn’t helping.

I certainly wish I had switched to an EV already as I could have avoided a big chunk of the inflation that has occurred.

I do think there is an argument to be made that companies jacking prices on staples while handing out bonuses should be disincentivized. Taxes, social shaming, prices controls, something.
    how much do they spend on media ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    hopefully they are not filling plastic bags
    I've only seen that on the internet, but I did have a front row seat to a similar horror. We have these super cheap stations that sell shitty fuel at a loss (the tanks are shot, and full of water) just to get people into their convenience store to buy liquor and cigarettes (and cheap dairy to Canadians). I only went there for the taco truck in their parking lot, but more often than not there was some sort of entertainment. Basically, a lunch matinee.

So a family drives up in a pos minivan with BC plates. Mom goes inside for milk, butter, and lottery tickets. Dad fills the tank. Then he fills four 5 gal jerry cans, and proceeds to put them in that back of the minivan - less than a foot behind his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post

So a family drives up in a pos minivan with BC plates. Mom goes inside for milk, butter, and lottery tickets. Dad fills the tank. Then he fills four 5 gal jerry cans, and proceeds to put them in that back of the minivan - less than a foot behind his kids.
    I’m not getting your point. Is there an implied problem with filling gas cans and putting them in a vehicle that also contains children?

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    I’m not getting your point. Is there an implied problem with filling gas cans and putting them in a vehicle that also contains children?
    Heh. Hand me my smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    While you're not exactly wrong (it's Econ 101), doesn't take away from the fact that it's still extremely painful for average people like myself. Over these last couple years, we've made so many cuts to our family budget just to scrape by. Can't cut much more. This morning I found myself cutting the usual amount of eggs I cooked the family for breakfast so I can stretch out the carton another day. Kids get same amount but I barely had anything. You're a doctor or something, right? I wouldn't expect you to get it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    No, I’m not a doctor. I’m a Sherpa for surgeons. I’m not even paid as well as a nurse. I have a solid middle class life and used cars and an old house.

I’m pretty lucky though, that’s mostly attitude. Like I said, when things get too expensive I’ll change my habits, I won’t bitch about it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

First time paying $50 for a tank last week. Then paid $60 for a tank this week.

On my way to fill up @ $4.69 a gall, there was a fuck-ton of traffic on the road

Looks like premium is 5.79 a gallon for my trip home this week
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Haven’t been following this thread, but just jumping in to say that yes high prices suck, but at least their is fuel in the tanks. No solutions; only trade offs (Sowell)
    "Let's be careful out there."

Any oil & gas experts want to comment on this idea for damping the price swings so that the investment community demands for dividends during price upticks don’t swing too hard? https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...as-prices.html
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

All I know is I will be very disappointed if the oil and gas companies report record earnings on their next quarterly. If that is the case, then laws need to be enacted to stop the gouging of the consumer by all industries.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    All I know is I will be very disappointed if the oil and gas companies report record earnings on their next quarterly. If that is the case, then laws need to be enacted to stop the gouging of the consumer by all industries.
    Why do you hate 'Murika? ,,, says the people who don't realize our tax dollars are also going in to the coffers of these obscenely rich energy moguls..
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 03-13-2022 at 02:52 PM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    You're a doctor or something, right? I wouldn't expect you to get it.
    I realize this was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but this sentiment always bothers me. It bothers me because 99% of the time the people who say stuff like that arent nearly as frugal as my family, nor as frugal as the home i grew up in. And we dont want for anything we need. It also bothers me because they assume that folks who have financial security always had it.

We live in a consumerist society where Keeping-up-with-the-jones' has been taken to the next level b/c of social media and so we have misconstrued countless luxuries as necessities. Delayed gratification is a concept foreign to faaaar too many people these days IMO. From food, to drugs of choice, to electronics, to subscriptions, to cars, etc.

Anyways, i saw a small handful of classic brodozers today on my drive to and from skiing this morning. All of them were going at least 5 over the speed limit, and a number of them were awfully heavy with their foot when accelerating just so they could hear their exhaust. Odds are near certain, in this area, that they cheer Lets Go Brandon, and will whine about gas prices hitting them hard.
    Last edited by californiagrown; 03-13-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Any oil & gas experts want to comment on this idea for damping the price swings so that the investment community demands for dividends during price upticks don’t swing too hard? https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...as-prices.html
    I'm certainly not an expert but seems very simplistic. There are lots of reasons why some companies are not drilling. So got burned for being over extended and some of these went BK like Whiting Pet which was a pretty big player in that space. If they reduced drilling to survive the downturn then they don't have the cash flow to fund increased drilling on their own so somebody has to loan them the money. Some of those banks got burned and some others won't go into that market for climate policy reasons. Also the number of leases out there , that doesn't mean all of them are good to drill on or ready to be drilled plus some of those leases may be held by companies who don't have the cash to drill or are in receivership.

Mostly the US can't possibly make up all of the Russian oil on the market a certain level of drilling is required just to maintain production. None of this US oil lasts that long.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

What if instead of continuing a system that is at the whims of global markets we became more efficient and moved away from fossil fuels?

Crazy idea, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Why do you hate 'Murika? ,,, says the people who don't realize our tax dollars are also going in to the coffers of these obscenely rich energy moguls..

What if instead of continuing a system that is at the whims of global markets we became more efficient and moved away from fossil fuels?

Crazy idea, I know.
    Don't sell the 1%rs short. They'll come up with some scheme to manage and contain sun and wind the same way they did with "water rights" and "mineral rights" on property otherwise belonging to different people.. As soon as they figure that out, they'll quit obstructing the development of alternative green technologies.. After all, oil is running out.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Don't sell the 1%rs short. They'll come up with some scheme to manage and contain sun and wind the same way they did with "water rights" and "mineral rights" on property otherwise belonging to different people.. As soon as they figure that out, they'll quit obstructing the development of alternative green technologies.. After all, oil is running out.
    Name:  burns_badIdear.png
Views: 391
Size:  536.7 KB

The Simpsons sees everything coming, so SJG has a point.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Thanks for posting that. Actually reading that and a quick review of the SPR volume/capacity here:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le...S_NUS_MBBL&f=M

I think I'm onboard. The negative impact for the climate of fluctuating prices is even worse than the author stated: not only do we ditch green initiatives whenever the price falls, we all go out and buy bigger trucks. Or cancel CAFE.

Is there a downside to making money by damping price fluctuations? (As an aside, could we not buy any faster in 2020?)

If the SPR is full when we stop burning oil we can use it to make stuff.

Name:  DDB6EBC2-00C5-4B93-8A16-E80E373B1DA2.jpeg
Views: 360
Size:  55.5 KB

I have no car loans. Gonna burn Dino
    . . .

Decision making by meme. Complete fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Decision making by meme. Complete fail.
    My name’s core shot. My particular ICE vehicles will last forever.