Page 56 of 108 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2680

What's Blizzard up to?

Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post
    How would Rustler 11s stand up as a resort ski for Chamonix/ La Grave type skiing? Hoping to do a season in one of these next year, COVID permitting. Looking for something with good edge-hold on steeps, enough top end stability to ski fast in shit snow, floaty enough for European powder, and maneuverable enough to ski tight couloirs and horrible mogulled traverses. Basically everything then.

Currently on BC Atris in a 184, which lack the top end for what I am looking for.
    I think a rustler 11 skis like a wider Atris. I’d run something with metal in it. Cochise, Corvus, Katana. That’s what you want for variable shit killing. At least that’s what I say, but in all honesty I’d ski a og bodacious.

I’d be stoked with a 95, a atris and a cochise

How would Rustler 11s stand up as a resort ski for Chamonix/ La Grave type skiing? Hoping to do a season in one of these next year, COVID permitting. Looking for something with good edge-hold on steeps, enough top end stability to ski fast in shit snow, floaty enough for European powder, and maneuverable enough to ski tight couloirs and horrible mogulled traverses. Basically everything then.

Currently on BC Atris in a 184, which lack the top end for what I am looking for.
    You are describing the new Cochise.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My buddy got some new 192 rustlers, fun to see how much camber mine have lost over the years. I haven’t skied them much either, max 30 days since I have serious quiver bloat. I really like how they ski flat though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95E65355-6720-4633-8292-FA6FE8B9EF13.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	678.4 KB 
ID:	363298

Binding stoppers pull skis together in my experience. Not a fair comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Binding stoppers pull skis together in my experience. Not a fair comparison?
    Not putting any pressure on the skis in the photo, they are pulled apart

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Sure. Then it's probably great. But I don't belive it's the ultimate resort crud and funky snow charger. For everything primarily soft it's probably great. But really.... I have only one day on mine. Really like them, not sure I'd base a season on them, together with two touring setups. Unless you only plan to ski the resort on the good days.

It really is hard to say. But you can encounter a lot of different snow from top to bottom in the Alps.

I'd still lean slightly more towards something around 105-110, but pow capable. Mfree 108? Wrenegade 108? Depends on your style and size and whatnot
    Interesting; I think you are right that 114mm may be a little too wide.

I am going to look into the Cochise or Katana, seems that the Katana may float a little better. M-free would be top of the list if it came in a 187ish cm, but at 160lbs I would be between the current sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I think a rustler 11 skis like a wider Atris. I’d run something with metal in it. Cochise, Corvus, Katana. That’s what you want for variable shit killing. At least that’s what I say, but in all honesty I’d ski a og bodacious.

I’d be stoked with a 95, a atris and a cochise
    Corvus not so much. Too light and being thrown around more in shitty snow. Less pivoty and more locked into turn as Katana or M102 as well.
    My personal choice for an one ski resort quiver for the Alps would be currently Katana 108. Can’t speak for the new Cochise, though, as I didn’t ski it yet. Because of the significantly wider shovel Katana floats probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Corvus not so much. Too light and being thrown around more in shitty snow. Less pivoty and more locked into turn as Katana or M102 as well.
    My personal choice for an one ski resort quiver for the Alps would be currently Katana 108. Can’t speak for the new Cochise, though, as I didn’t ski it yet. Because of the significantly wider shovel Katana floats probably better.
    Are we talking about the same ski? Like this years Corvus. It’s flat, heavy and pivots on a dime. I dunno though. I suck. I ski it every day though.

Just got back from my second day on the R11. First in anything close to powder.

What a ski! Extremely quick and pivoty, good edgehold on soft groomers, easy to get of the ground on little bumps and rollers. Maybe a bit turny, but haven't detuned yet. Likes to either be pivoted or skied properly on edge. There's absolutely a speed limit in rough snow, but that's fine.
    A tiny bit more tail than I'm used to, even at -1, but the tail is so friendly that it hardly matters.

Skied some deep, hard bumps, filled with 15-20cm of fresh right of the first lift. Buddy claimed he had never seen me ski so well. If true - it's the skis.

And; GF had her first day on 172 R11s. Really liked them, felt they were both stable and easy going. She's a tiny human, so that confirms that Rustlers on sale are a great alternative to Sheeva at retail.

I think a rustler 11 skis like a wider Atris.
    I think you're underestimating the top end of the 11's. And they do have a partial sheet of metal (you can see the outline on the topsheets).

The 11's aren't all that damp, but they are quite stable. Kind of like the Corvus, which is about the same weight.

That said, for Cham or La Grave I would want a skinnier (105ish) metal ski in the quiver. Lots of vert on firm or variable steeps is a bit uncomfortable/fatiguing at 114 underfoot. I used the OG Cochise a fair amount for lift assisted couloir skiing in the Dolomites and it worked well. For me anyway, that small difference in width makes a difference. The (lighter) Corvus probably would have been even better, especially when jump turns were in order.

For US resort skiing there are few situations in which I prefer the Cochise (gen 1 or 2, haven't skied the new ones) over the 11's, which is why I no longer own Cochises. If anyone ever finds a 105ish ski that handles like the Rustler 11's let me know. I'll buy it.

Cochise 106 is a step closer to the Rustler 11 than it was in previous gens, IMO

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

The new Cochise 106 uses the same wood core as the Rustler 11. A lot of what we learned about tip and tail flex from Rustler was also applied to the new Cochise design.

Look what I spotted today for sale...in a brick and mortar store.

Name:	Image1613615351.292173.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	352.3 KB 
ID:	363506
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Look what I spotted today for sale...in a brick and mortar store.

Name:	Image1613615351.292173.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	352.3 KB 
ID:	363506
    That topsheet makes me think of Tron, Knight Rider, and Magnum PI all at once.

Are we talking about the same ski? Like this years Corvus. It’s flat, heavy and pivots on a dime. I dunno though. I suck. I ski it every day though.
    I‘m talking about the current model with slightly reverse camber. I have it in 188 cm mounted with a Shift as my 50/50 ski. It weights something between 2000 and 2100 g so not really heavy and damp. It pivots on a dime on hard snow, that’s right, but not as much in variable 3d snow where it’s kinda locked to the turn shape within its radius and the tails are hard to break free. Floats not really well in deeper powder as well, similar to the OG Cochise.
    For resort use K108 or M102 are far superior IMO, probably also the new Cochise.

roQer/ SoVT Joey, have either of you skied the older cambered Corvus? That was a great ski, significantly heavier than the new one. If so, I would be interested to hear comparisons to new Corvus/Katana/Cochise.

So, it’s been discussed before, but what’s the new Cochise like compared to the OG Cochise 193?

For reference, I skied the OG Cochise in 193 for 2 seasons. For fast skiing in bad snow and chop etc. it was the fucking best ski ever. So ridiculous stable.
    However, for my sore knees and aging it was just too much anywhere else. Therefore i didn’t use it as much. I even had a heavy duke on it...

So I guess I could try the new Cochise in 188, or the mantra102, but that should be more on Piste oriented. Voelkl blaze?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

roQer/ SoVT Joey, have either of you skied the older cambered Corvus? That was a great ski, significantly heavier than the new one. If so, I would be interested to hear comparisons to new Corvus/Katana/Cochise.
    I have. It was damper but I thought it was too locked it. I like flat/reverse camber. I’m not sold on roQer’s review but there are tons of different skiing styles, on top of that I ski a 183 and I’m 5’11 177lbs. If I was full time at a western area I’d be on a 188 or the 193 in a heart beat and I wonder if that’s the difference we feel. I know I wouldn’t be able to ski a 188 comfortably where I take my 183 on the east coast.

All that being said I think the Corvus, Katana, and Cochise all run in the same league. The Cochise will kill anything, the katana will kill 98% and gives a better ride, and the Corvus will kill like 95% but rides really smooth. I relate that to how much less aggressive the tip rocker is and more base running on the ground.

You could tell me I could only ski one of those three skis for the rest of my life and I’d be perfectly happy.

I did just find a brand new black bodacious and it should be delivered tomorrow. Got that for a smoking deal. If it’s as good as everyone says, I might sell everything and just ski that.

I have. It was damper but I thought it was too locked it. I like flat/reverse camber. I’m not sold on roQer’s review but there are tons of different skiing styles, on top of that I ski a 183 and I’m 5’11 177lbs. If I was full time at a western area I’d be on a 188 or the 193 in a heart beat and I wonder if that’s the difference we feel. I know I wouldn’t be able to ski a 188 comfortably where I take my 183 on the east coast.

All that being said I think the Corvus, Katana, and Cochise all run in the same league. The Cochise will kill anything, the katana will kill 98% and gives a better ride, and the Corvus will kill like 95% but rides really smooth. I relate that to how much less aggressive the tip rocker is and more base running on the ground.

You could tell me I could only ski one of those three skis for the rest of my life and I’d be perfectly happy.

I did just find a brand new black bodacious and it should be delivered tomorrow. Got that for a smoking deal. If it’s as good as everyone says, I might sell everything and just ski that.
    It is that good, but not sure how good it'll be in east coast trees.

They have any more, I'm always down for a backup

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    It is that good, but not sure how good it'll be in east coast trees.
    They have any more, I'm always down for a backup
    +1000 on "It is that good..." Yup, sure is.
    and +1 on where you found a smoking good deal. I'm seriously considering another pair as backup.

Negative on the backup, there was one pair sitting and I couldn’t look at them any longer, so lonely, so black in this hurtful and scary world, I needed to provide reparations, they needed a home.

Don’t worry, not planning on a tree ski, I need it for when the woods are shit with a 2” death crust like right now.

With all these postings of 2021 Rustler 11 postings, I wondered if anyone else has noticed that the weight of them has gone up about 70-100gram or so for the 2021 versions according to EVO and Blizzards own website. Blister weighed their original green 188cm around the 2050gr range and EVO has shown weights around the 2100-2130g range till the 2021 which is now a hair over 2200gr for that size.

Know they made the core slightly thicker in the Rustler 10 a few years ago but haven’t seen if any process or manufacturing change was ever done on the latest Rustler 11. Also noticed the Rustler 9 gained 100 grams in the longer lengths the last 2 years since I owned the originals.

Just curious if anyone knows the scoop and if users of the old notice any difference on their 2021 versions as I’ve always heard it was just graphics updates.

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    With all these postings of 2021 Rustler 11 postings, I wondered if anyone else has noticed that the weight of them has gone up about 70-100gram or so for the 2021 versions according to EVO and Blizzards own website. Blister weighed their original green 188cm around the 2050gr range and EVO has shown weights around the 2100-2130g range till the 2021 which is now a hair over 2200gr for that size.

Know they made the core slightly thicker in the Rustler 10 a few years ago but haven’t seen if any process or manufacturing change was ever done on the latest Rustler 11. Also noticed the Rustler 9 gained 100 grams in the longer lengths the last 2 years since I owned the originals.

Just curious if anyone knows the scoop and if users of the old notice any difference on their 2021 versions as I’ve always heard it was just graphics updates.
    They changed the topsheet material from the original green one to the orange one, but not sure if that is significant enough for the weight change you noted. It is the one physical difference that took place.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I thought they changed the construction to stop the cores from exploding. That could have caused the weight to increase.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Can confirm the 192s are 100gs heavier.
    Green 2018s = 2200g
    Orange 2021s = 2300gs