Page 62 of 109 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2711
    The Salomon line up is looking to come back around for me though, props to them for making heavier skis again. I am definitely going to try to demo the Blanks next season, and buy if they come close. I try to buy skis that come even close to what I want, at their retail price, figuring that's the best thing I can do to convey to the companies what kinds of skis I want.

I wish they made that Stance ski in a 112mm waist, like 2450g/ski in the 190. But I hear those skis have a soft tip too. What's with all these soft tips on chargers now? I understand the manufacturers want to sell more skis to more intermediates, but I feel like there is a disconnect between the market and the larger advanced and up skiers, in which a decent amount of money could be made for them..

Now Salomon and Blizzard combined, and don't want to get anyone in trouble here...on some of Cody Townsends videos, he pans over to the family quiver, and it seems his wife (a Blizzard pro, as you all know) has the gunsmokes or peacemakers still out as her main ski, like out front. Unless those are just old graphics on new skis.

Back to Blizzard, I really ought to find the previous gen Cochise in the 19Xcm length. Those were beefy.

Reading all those posts about Rustlers, gunsmokes OG Cochise and all our favorites skis I wonder if anyone has been stashing some extra pairs in case new versions are not as good as the current ones or the model is discontinued ? Considering their success I bet blizzard will stick to the Rustlers for a while but there’s always a chance new models might not be as good as the current ones. With all the resorts closed here in France I actually found (and bought) a very cheap pair of R11 192 that I will leave in the attic for later ! You never know

PS : Our experience with Salomon skis here in France is that construction is not very solid and durable. Might be different now that the skis are produced in Austria tho

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I feel that a single full sheet of metal on the Rustler series instead of the current metal cutout would increase durability and performance. Could be a limited series like the Armada ARVti’s.

This would likely make the differentiation between Rustler series and the Brahma, Bones, Cochise too similar and not worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

As wasatchblack has said many times we’re never getting another gunsmoke.
    Mount the R11 +2 and make peace with our loss

Yore

Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
    Reading all those posts about Rustlers, gunsmokes OG Cochise and all our favorites skis I wonder if anyone has been stashing some extra pairs in case new versions are not as good as the current ones or the model is discontinued ?
    Yes, have been stashing, but I end up taking the Rustler 11 most of the time anyway.

Seems we all do. With the Brahmas for the leftovers

I asked this in the fall and didn’t get too many responses so I’ll ask again. For those that don’t like the R11s but like the Gunsmokes or simply like the Gunsmokes more than R11s, what is it about the ski that you like more?

Personally I’m the opposite but always interested to hear what people think.

I think the R11 are much better but I don’t come from a freestyle background. Balance of softness of the tips/tails vs strength underfoot is just perfect and suit my skiing perfectly. Please leave those skis the way they are now and focus on the R10 instead

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Yes, have been stashing, but I end up taking the Rustler 11 most of the time anyway.
    Same. Have 2 pairs of OG 193 Cochise but keep grabbing the 11s. They're just more fun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    I asked this in the fall and didn’t get too many responses so I’ll ask again. For those that don’t like the R11s but like the Gunsmokes or simply like the Gunsmokes more than R11s, what is it about the ski that you like more?

Personally I’m the opposite but always interested to hear what people think.
    I don't dislike the R11, but I liked the gunsmoke more. Gunsmoke was narrower in the 192, I liked the lack of metal extending as far as the R11 does. I think the camber in the gunsmoke made it more poppy and playful. I like the twin shape more on the gunsmoke than the R11.

What I DO like about the R11 is that it's lighter than the gunsmoke. The m-free 108 has effectively replaced most of what I liked in the gunsmoke, so the R11 being lighter and wider fits a role as a powder ski for me more than a Freeride ski (m-free takes that role now).

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

What's Blizzard up to?

I actually think the issue is more with R10 than the R11. Some blizzard rep here told me that what they were trying to achieve with the rustlers was to have a set of skis you could ski on and off the slopes thé same way. I feel it does work with the R11, with larger « giant slalom » like turns. However it does not work for me with the R10 that feels a bit like a lively and turny fat « special slalom » ski, which doesn’t make any sense. 188 is too little ski for me and I really hope next generation will be much beefier to become a proper freeride ski. But please don’t touch the R11 !!

How it works shows Völkl with K108 and M102. K108 skis pretty much like a wider M102. In my opinion, though, they missed the point with the K108 because I don’t want a more soft snow oriented freeride ski behave like a fat M102. But the M102 is really good for almost everything outside of deeper powder. Translating to R11/R10, Blizzard should keep the R11 as it is and make a stout and more burly R10 for all mountain duties which is similar pivoty and playful as R11 and has no fuckin speed limit like M102.

What's Blizzard up to?

Voilà ! I really hope the R10 could bridge the gap between the Brahma and the R11 which to me are both just spot on. Or maybe that’s the new Cochise ? Didn’t try yet..

I don’t think they will ever change the R10 since that would make it too much like a Cochise or Bonafide (as has been pointed out) and they already sell a bunch to intermediates who think it is a ripping ski since it has some metal. Almost everyone I ever see on them seems to be fighting that “the ski wants to turn too much” but then they get them in 4” of dust on crust and they feel like a powder ripper. So, maybe it’s actually working?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

What's Blizzard up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I don’t think they will ever change the R10 since that would make it too much like a Cochise or Bonafide (as has been pointed out) and they already sell a bunch to intermediates who think it is a ripping ski since it has some metal. Almost everyone I ever see on them seems to be fighting that “the ski wants to turn too much” but then they get them in 4” of dust on crust and they feel like a powder ripper. So, maybe it’s actually working?
    You are probably right. I read somewhere here that the bonafide is a great one ski quiver for someone that skis 8 days a year. I ski 60+ and I have a bigger quiver so maybe I should just give up on the R10 and move on to the new Cochise. Zero G 105 already feels like a slick and light carbon R10 so it could well be that it is the beefier version I am looking for. Without hopefully loosing too much playfulness !

What's Blizzard up to?

Bonafide and Cochise are as old school as a freeride ski can be. The shape is basically like what, 8 years old? No one under 50 skis Bonafides or Cochises here. For god´s sake even Fischer has modern mounting points and rocker profiles nowadays.
    Speaking of Bonafides, my Bonafide 97 in 189 skis like a relict from the past compared to a M102 or K108, not even to mention the MF108.

Couldn’t disagree more with the B97 being best for someone who skis 6 days a year. These are stiff heavy ripping skis. Not for a casual skier. I don’t like them as much as my m102s, but the fact that they’re not my favorite compared to arguably the best ski to come out in years (m102) isn’t that much of a knock.

For some reason people seem to like the 177 B97 more than the 183 when comparing those two lengths. Different constructions might be a part of that - the 183 might be too stiff for most people under 220 lbs. I’m 200 and really like the 183 but wouldn’t mind it being a touch softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
    I read somewhere here that the bonafide is a great one ski quiver for someone that skis 8 days a year.
    Only if they used to ski 100 days a year at some point in their career . . .

I actually have friends from the ski club that now live far away from the mountains and are happy with a stiff 95+ ski for the few days of skiing they get every year. But you are right regarding the Bonafide, as an all rounder the Mantra is better. If you live on the mountain and get to ski more days then you are better off with the Brahmas and the R11 I guess

For aggressive... advanced skiers.... who like the fall line....

The Bonafide is a perfect skinnier ski in a three ski quiver.

The Cochise is a perfect skinnier ski in a two ski quiver.

My 5’2” 95# sister rips on the 171 Cochise....

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

5+ ski quiver you can probably get a little skinnier than the B97.

I've mentioned this before, but Blizzard ought to make an R10 a 110mm underfoot, cross between a Cochise and R11, ala the Blank. I see the trend of people being less enthralled with super-fats. 110mm gives the ultimate of versatility IMO with a little less knee and hip soreness associated with 118 to 122mm underfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post

For some reason people seem to like the 177 B97 more than the 183 when comparing those two lengths. Different constructions might be a part of that - the 183 might be too stiff for most people under 220 lbs. I’m 200 and really like the 183 but wouldn’t mind it being a touch softer.
    This is what we all said last year after reviewing them. Don’t buy based on traditional sizing. Different sizes ski differently. I’m a bit over 200lb and love the 183. Normal skis are 188-190+. Don’t really ski mountains big enough or open enough to ski the 189. 183 is more fun for me. 177 is going to be the best for a lot of skiers who normally ski a 185ish.

Ski shreds if you can.

What's Blizzard up to?

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    Couldn’t disagree more with the B97 being best for someone who skis 6 days a year. These are stiff heavy ripping skis. Not for a casual skier. I don’t like them as much as my m102s, but the fact that they’re not my favorite compared to arguably the best ski to come out in years (m102) isn’t that much of a knock.

I’m close to 190 and for me the 183 Bonifides are some of the most powerful skis I’ve ever used. They are in a different class compared to the other iterations, 187s, of Bonifides that I’ve skied. Not very responsive at slow speeds, but they hold an edge at speed as well as anything outside of GS skis. And their frequency is very easy on one’s knees.