Page 39 of 109 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Do you mean the weight savings weren't enough?
    I don't remember. I believe the weight was too close. That shape of that DRT metal piece is milled into the top
    cassette of the mold so you have to fill that with material that's equal in thickness. Obviously the carbon isn't as thick
    as that metal piece so they probably had to add some filler that also added weight? Those are assumptions but I think
    that's what I remember hearing, it's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Is there a market for 115-125 waist light touring skis though? Volkl killed the V-werks BMT 122 due to no one buying it (except people grabbing them super cheap on close-out).
    Honestly probably not. It's been discussed for a while and at some points has been on the development schedule but it's never come to fruition. Rustler at 112/114 in the 188 is definitely as wide as we would ever go. So many of our Athletes tour on R11 as is.
    we'll see.

About to mount shifts on 192 zero g 108s (2018s I believe) - couple of questions:
    1. Never seen a ski with "add glue" marked next to the bit diameter. Does that speak to something funky? Are people using regular gorilla wood glue, blue loctite because of chatter, or something more permanent?
    2. I don't mess with mount location unless hole interference necessitates it - is the consensus to mount these on the line? I've spent the last decade on dynastars, liked the xxl even +1 and the big dumps at -1 so my guess is I will mount on the line barring major outcry as to otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill. View Post
    About to mount shifts on 192 zero g 108s (2018s I believe) - couple of questions:
    1. Never seen a ski with "add glue" marked next to the bit diameter. Does that speak to something funky? Are people using regular gorilla wood glue, blue loctite because of chatter, or something more permanent?
    2. I don't mess with mount location unless hole interference necessitates it - is the consensus to mount these on the line? I've spent the last decade on dynastars, liked the xxl even +1 and the big dumps at -1 so my guess is I will mount on the line barring major outcry as to otherwise...
    How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

Just use some wood glue.

I always liked the 192 Cochise at +1.5. Helped it ski a bit shorter. I'm 6'2" 220 roughly

Thanks for the reply. Just seemed to be a weird instructional graphic.

I'm 6'5" / 230+/-5lbs, skiing these with zgtps / shifts, coming from legend pro / xxl / big dumps and before that igneous fall line shapes (save a brief dalliance w spatulas).

Are reps going to be able to get the new Cochise this year? Looking at filling out my DD spot with them, but don't want to bug my mountain rep if I can't get the new ones this year.

Brahma 88 for next year. How do they ski compared to this years model?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    G Flex 650.
    G-Flex and wax paper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A6B1A3E-7916-4EEE-991A-9D0A952A7652.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	821.5 KB 
ID:	312336

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill. View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Just seemed to be a weird instructional graphic.

I'm 6'5" / 230+/-5lbs, skiing these with zgtps / shifts, coming from legend pro / xxl / big dumps and before that igneous fall line shapes (save a brief dalliance w spatulas).
    Yeah at your size mount em on the line, should be totally fine.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Are reps going to be able to get the new Cochise this year? Looking at filling out my DD spot with them, but don't want to bug my mountain rep if I can't get the new ones this year.
    There won't be any of the new Cochise, Brahma, Bonafide, Black Pearls available for early purchase this spring, at least in
    NA (not sure about the rest of the world). There will be lots of demos floating around I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Brahma 88 for next year. How do they ski compared to this years model?
    New Sidecut design
    - more sidecut in the tip, little less in the tail as compared to the present model

New Flex Profile
    - Varying densities of wood lengthwise down the ski allows us to fine tune the flex more than we ever have. Took
    4 months for the core manufacturer to figure out how to do it. Result is a ski with softer tips but even more solid
    under foot. The flex really builds. It's sort of hard to explain without showing someone a ski. If just hand flexing
    you'll notice that just pushing lightly that the ski appears to be rather soft as it's just the very ends of the ski that are
    flexing but the more you push the more you feel the flex and pressure build.
    - Makes it so at slower speeds or in more variable terrain the skis are easier to manipulate and you're much less likely
    to get caught in the back seat or be out of balance. It's easier to recover. At higher speeds they feel even more connected
    to the snow and have more stability in the middle of the turn.

New Rocker Profile
    - Less rocker than the present models but it doesn't feel like that because the rockered areas are softer.

New Tip Shape
    - More curvature and slightly wider. The tips don't dive nearly as much as the present ones in softer snow.

New Sizes
    - 165, 171, 177, 183, 189

Still 2.5 sheets of metal. They're actually heavier due to the wood we use in the core construction.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    New Sidecut design
    - more sidecut in the tip, little less in the tail as compared to the present model

New Flex Profile
    - Varying densities of wood lengthwise down the ski allows us to fine tune the flex more than we ever have. Took
    4 months for the core manufacturer to figure out how to do it. Result is a ski with softer tips but even more solid
    under foot. The flex really builds. It's sort of hard to explain without showing someone a ski. If just hand flexing
    you'll notice that just pushing lightly that the ski appears to be rather soft as it's just the very ends of the ski that are
    flexing but the more you push the more you feel the flex and pressure build.
    - Makes it so at slower speeds or in more variable terrain the skis are easier to manipulate and you're much less likely
    to get caught in the back seat or be out of balance. It's easier to recover. At higher speeds they feel even more connected
    to the snow and have more stability in the middle of the turn.

New Rocker Profile
    - Less rocker than the present models but it doesn't feel like that because the rockered areas are softer.

New Tip Shape
    - More curvature and slightly wider. The tips don't dive nearly as much as the present ones in softer snow.

New Sizes
    - 165, 171, 177, 183, 189

Still 2.5 sheets of metal. They're actually heavier due to the wood we use in the core construction.
    Great info. Can you say something about how they perform on hard groomers / semi-ice?

The way you describe them makes them sound like a ski that fixes a big problem I feel the Enforcer 88 has. It's too stiff relative to the amount of tip rocker it has. Makes it difficult to initiate a turn from the tip and bend the ski on very hard snow. They have good edgehold, so you can ride the sidecut, but it's difficult to ski shorter turns cleanly. The 93s felt better on ice because of this. Obviously weight and skill matters, but still......
    On anything slightly softer the tip will engage, and they are pretty easy to bend.

There won't be any of the new Cochise, Brahma, Bonafide, Black Pearls available for early purchase this spring, at least in
    NA (not sure about the rest of the world). There will be lots of demos floating around I'm sure.
    Just NA, obviously. The new Bonafide is on the way to me. If you want to grab some new Blizzards check out www.sport65.de

After more thought, and I’ve been tossing this around in my head a bit, I still wish the new Spur came in a 193, but the 189 (if it’s really 129mm wide) would be an awesome Japan ski for me. I’m trying to sell my Protests, and won’t have a > 120mm wide ski in the quiver, and the new Spur might slide in there with a touring binding.

I didn’t get along with the Gunsmoke either originally, until I moved it to +2 of recommended, then it came alive. I wish I had grabbed a few extra pairs when they were discontinued.

The new Bonafide is on my short list to take for a rip if I can find a pair of the longest pair. Doubt it will replace the 194 cm MX 98, but the previous versions of the Bonafide were awesome skis. Hard ice to 12in of pow, they did it all.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Great info. Can you say something about how they perform on hard groomers / semi-ice?

The way you describe them makes them sound like a ski that fixes a big problem I feel the Enforcer 88 has. It's too stiff relative to the amount of tip rocker it has. Makes it difficult to initiate a turn from the tip and bend the ski on very hard snow. They have good edgehold, so you can ride the sidecut, but it's difficult to ski shorter turns cleanly. The 93s felt better on ice because of this. Obviously weight and skill matters, but still......
    On anything slightly softer the tip will engage, and they are pretty easy to bend.
    They're still 2.5 sheets of metal and the core, especially under foot, is made up of more dense
    material. On harder snow they feel more stable in the middle of the turn than the present ones I
    think especially if you're really tipping them up and trying to push the radius of the skis.

One of biggest differences I've felt on groomers or harder snow when you ski the new ski back to back
    with the present model is the new skis feel like they engage much further up tip where as the present model
    feels like it engages much further down the forebody of the ski. That's a combo of more sidecut, less rocker, and
    flex profile of the tip.

When you're arcing on groomers it just feels like there's more ski on the snow. However it is slightly easier
    to break them loose or change the radius now. Less of that feeling of "stuck" in the turn.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by wasatchback; 01-27-2020 at 12:32 PM.

One of biggest differences I've felt on groomers or harder snow when you ski the new ski back to back
    with the present model is the new skis feel like they engage much further up tip where as the present model
    feels like it engages much further down the forebody of the ski. That's a combo of more sidecut, less rocker, and
    flex profile of the tip.
    Absolutely. You probably made me go Nordica - - > Blizzard with that description

Am I the only one that wishes Blizz would make a 100mm-ish Bodacious? I love the OG 186, and I think a skinnier version would be the tits on hardpack days.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Am I the only one that wishes Blizz would make a 100mm-ish Bodacious? I love the OG 186, and I think a skinnier version would be the tits on hardpack days.

No you are not. I happen to think the OG Bode is one of the best skis ever made and a skinny version would complete my quiver.

Will the new 88 be better on hard pack than this years 82? I need new hard snow skis in my quiver and have multiple soft snow options to pull out when fresh.

They're still 2.5 sheets of metal and the core, especially under foot, is made up of more dense
    material. On harder snow they feel more stable in the middle of the turn than the present ones I
    think especially if you're really tipping them up and trying to push the radius of the skis.

flex profile of the tip.

When you're arcing on groomers it just feels like there's more ski on the snow. However it is slightly easier
    to break them loose or change the radius now. Less of that feeling of "stuck" in the turn.

Hope that helps

What's Blizzard up to?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	313610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0063.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	313611
    Absolutely love my 3 Blizzard quiver...

196 OG Bodacious (aka black angels of death)
    192 Rustler 11s
    193 Gunsmokes

And my OGs to this day are one of my top 5 skis - kill everything just keep them out of trees and bumps and not over demanding...!

Last edited by Undertow; 02-02-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Love the OG Bod. Even have had fun in trees and low angle snow.

same here. Bring em up to speed and they become pretty agile.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Will the new 88 be better on hard pack than this years 82? I need new hard snow skis in my quiver and have multiple soft snow options to pull out when fresh.
    Not dramatically better but maybe slightly? 82 will still be quicker due to it being narrower. 82 is an awesome ski honestly, great bang for your buck kinda ski that skis way above its price point. Sadly it’s a little lost so it doesn’t get much attention. Same construction as it’s wider more expensive siblings but a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Love the OG Bod. Even have had fun in trees and low angle snow.
    Loved my OG Bodacious as well but to tell the true Rustler 11 is far superior in soft conditions. More agile, floats as well or even better, any turn shape possible, and don’t give much up in terms of stability, at least in the 192 length.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Loved my OG Bodacious as well but to tell the true Rustler 11 is far superior in soft conditions. More agile, floats as well or even better, any turn shape possible, and don’t give much up in terms of stability, at least in the 192 length.
    Hum, I wonder if I didn’t give the 192 R11 enough of a shot, but I didn’t own Bodes and was comparing them to 193 Gunsmokes. But I am getting SVSs Bodes tomorrow, and I think I will like them. The suspension, flex, and full rocker seem like they will work, but I’m slightly afraid of the weight since we do hike/sidestep to/from our resort access backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Hum, I wonder if I didn’t give the 192 R11 enough of a shot, but I didn’t own Bodes and was comparing them to 193 Gunsmokes. But I am getting SVSs Bodes tomorrow, and I think I will like them. The suspension, flex, and full rocker seem like they will work, but I’m slightly afraid of the weight since we do hike/sidestep to/from our resort access backcountry.

Bodes definitely work if you have the power, the skills and the space to let them run. Really fun to go through whatever is in your way at mach stupid as long as it‘s softish. A very fascinating blend of stability and maneuverability. Although I skied some of the best lines of my life on them, unfortunately at the end it was just half-a-day ski for me. Afternoon I was completely wasted.
    Once in a life you have to own them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Bodes definitely work if you have the power, the skills and the space to let them run. Really fun to go through whatever is in your way at mach stupid as long as it‘s softish. A very fascinating blend of stability and maneuverability. Although I skied some of the best lines of my life on them, unfortunately at the end it was just half-a-day ski for me. Afternoon I was completely wasted.
    Once in a life you have to own them anyway.
    I believe I have the space for them to run, skill/power, hopefully, to be determined?

I’m hoping they replace the 203 and 193 Shiros, a bit more playful and close to the same stability of the 203s yet more maneuverable, and more stable then the 193 Shiros but have some of the same playfulness. And if it’s all in a package that gets rid of that insanely large tip that catches on everything, I’ll be happy. I’ll see and report back.