Page 83 of 109 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2711
    Not much love for the Bonafides it seems.

Thinking about a pair vs mantra m6’s.

Me 6’3” 225, ski fast on icy groomers and pow when I get lucky on trips. Have to take what snow I get.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

Me 6’3” 225, ski fast on icy groomers and pow when I get lucky on trips. Have to take what snow I get.

I really like my pair of 189 Bonafide 97s. I prefer them to the OG Cochise on groomers.
    But we’ve had such good snow, I’ve been grabbing the Bodacious more than these.

I am very surprised at how heavy they are though.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

The longest Bonafide is perfect for you, but I’m not a huge fan of the M5 and M6. It is a great ski to grab if you don’t know the conditions. You’ll be fine ripping GS and Super G turns on icy groomers. They are maneuverable if you have solid form in tight spots. And if you get soft snow you won’t be under gunned in up to about 8in of snow. When I had a Bonafides I skied them on a few 12+ in days and they did pretty well. It’s a great utility/Swiss Army knife type of ski.

The Bonafide is loved, but what you might be missing is a few of us have bloated quivers, so a Swiss Army knife is a ski, like the Bonafide, gets replaced with a 90mm and 10Xmm wide ski. Eventually I will run out of 194 cm Kastle MX98s, and once I do, I know I can grab a pair of Bonafides and be happy on anything from ice to 12in of pow.

Finally got my 97 bones (183cm) on snow today, matched with Raptors which I'm still getting used to (love 'em). After GregL, SoVT Joey, and Blister all basically said the same thing (stiff missiles) I was a little apprehensive. But, the results are in and...I fucking love these boards. First impressions: I agree 100% with SoVT Joey's comment below. These seem like skis with a race pedigree. The most rebound I've ever experienced...so much so that I'd be reluctant to take them into unpredictable snow of any kind. Today I was on soft groomers which seems like their home turf. They demand your full attention and reward concentration (not to mention bending hard at speed). On the flip side they punish laziness. So, to me they're not good skis or bad skis on some universal spectrum. They're excellent skis for a certain type of skier--one who seeks mental exercise in addition to physical exercise.

I'm only reaching for these guys when I'm up for it. But skiing these reasonably well is so rewarding (compared to easier skis) that it's something to aspire to. To get jacked for.

I'm going to take a closer look at the edges and possible tip detuning. But I love 'em as is.

For reference I'm 6' 180.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I ski a 183-190 typically on any ski, skied the 183 bonafide and I felt like those were too long for me even. They just always want to stay engaged and they demand the pilot to always be on it.
    Last edited by ntblanks; 02-07-2022 at 10:15 PM.

I really like my 189s as well. I'm 6'2/210, and they're a pretty great firm snow WB ski; had em in deeper snow as well, and like Skibrd said, they do just fine for a 97 underfoot ski. I posted some thoughts on em a few pages back, but really been enjoying mine on low tide days; groomers, steeps, couloirs, good snow, terrible snow, whatever, they're up for it.

The 183 97s are my favorite variable snow ski to date. I think you can be lazy on em if you don’t get backseat. They are quite maneuverable and intuitive imo even at slower speeds. Agreed amazing edge hold and rebound. Pow ski is 188 R11 and they complement well. Could see going 192 for better float. R11 has a bigger sweet spot but I don’t think of the bones as requiring too much more input in anything but 3D funk. 5’11 185 for reference.

I'll jump on the bonafide 97 adoration list. Has been a great ski for the last month or so around here. Firm in morning to slush in afternoon. I find it to have enough top end strength to eat up snow when the conditions are on edge of being too firm to go off groom and soft enough to have fun. It eats that stuff up better than other skis i've tried and smooths out the mtn. I like the radius on my 189s. Not my favorite for park laps with the groms, but i'd rather be on it than a more park friendly "playful" ski like a rustler 9 or m-free 99 for days when a 100+ mm width ski is not the right call. I find it good for what it is on soft snow as well.

little footy from last year in couple inches over crust.

Sierra.com has deals on Brahma’s, Spurs, and Sheeva’s. Trying to resist the urge to pounce on the $299 Brahma 82s for groomerzoomer duty….

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Awesome video klauss, you and the bonafides are killing it.

Was able to fondle a pair of Hustle 11s/10s recently. They hand flex awfully similar to the Rustler 11s. I was pretty surprised considering how much lighter they are. First hand reviews from the group who was on testing them were very positive, and snow conditions were quite variable around here recently. As someone who is looking to replace my current daily driver BC set up I'll be considering the Hustle 10s for sure.

Someone should snag those Brahma 82s on Sierra. Have nearly pulled the trigger multiple times this afternoon.

Resisting as I'm already on Rustler 9s and for carving duty have some older/beat but functional Speed SL skis which I've been enjoying.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Someone should snag those Brahma 82s on Sierra. Have nearly pulled the trigger multiple times this afternoon.

Resisting as I'm already on Rustler 9s and for carving duty have some older/beat but functional Speed SL skis which I've been enjoying.
    I pondered it the other day. I already have 187 Brahma 88’s I don’t ski nearly enough.

Aren’t the 82’s a more “serious” ski?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

This weather has led me to rediscover my appreciation for mass. Just picked up some of those shop topsheet 183 b97s off ebay, im assuming everyone mounts on the line?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jr5t8YETLVYThLgy7

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    The Latigo from years past struck me as an interesting ski because it was marketed and flexed as an intermediate ski but I felt the shape of the ski wanted to finish turns and expected a certain level of technique. My experience with the Brahma was of a ski with more backbone but also more forgiving if you slid the tail at the end of a turn. I wish I had a bought a pair of Latigos when they were available.

I would be curious how the new 82 compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I pondered it the other day. I already have 187 Brahma 88’s I don’t ski nearly enough.

I have a pair that I got for $340ish shipped last year.

6'2 210 lbs on 180's which I see STP doesn't have in stock.

They are okay now after a grind and a base reset to 1 2. Out of the plastic they were pretty quirky and frustrating. They need to be driven and don't let you be lazy and punish backseat driving. I don't find them intuitive at all, which is the opposite of my worn out 88's, but after a lap or two where the ski tells me my form sucks, I adjust to my better more focused skier self and then I always have fun on them. They suck on flat hills. I end up having to baby them through turns on the flats because rolling them on edge isn't enough to get them to engage the sidecut - if you have ever skied the Blizzard 8.0 Quattro they'll just happily swim around turns all day long when you roll your knees, but these will definitely not, so speed and recovering energy off the last turn are your friends. These will load up tons of energy if you pressure the outside ski soon enough, and reward you with good poppy fun, and let you turn relatively short radius turns, or rail longish GS turns, unlike the 8.0, which is pretty lifeless and likes one turn radius.

They do have great edge hold on firm pack, they'll give you some grip on scraped off ice, but not race ski edge hold.

I'm uncomfortable skiing them off piste which kinds of defeats the purpose of a Brahma.

I feel like the old Latigo 78 had a bigger sweet spot and was much more intuitive. But, it didn't like to rail GS turns like the 82 will. Like the Latigo, the 82 loses its appeal if the snow gets too soft or funky.

Basically not a ski I recommend to friends, but for the price, I have a blast on them, and so will any good skier. For now they are my primary daily driver here at home, and on the midwest race dad circuit.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 02-08-2022 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    This weather has led me to rediscover my appreciation for mass. Just picked up some of those shop topsheet 183 b97s off ebay, im assuming everyone mounts on the line?
    Mass rules. Skied my 189s again today; they make shit snow more fun, and sketchy places in shit snow more accessible. I went plus 1 and wouldn't move em, though based on the research I did b4 mounting, it appears the general consensus is the line is money. Enjoy.

Much had been said here already, but I wanna reiterate. Just got off a five hour session on some new 189 B97s. Vert eaters, limitless stability, make bad snow irrelevant. Ski bigger than the 191 M102s and a good bit heavier than all the 193/192 Cochises. Dampness on par with Pro Riders (but not as tiring), 184 monster 98s, 187 Showdown 105s for comparison. Smooth on or off edge. Love 'em.

Not turny or pivoty but easy to manipulate if ya drive 'em. Can feather or carve no problemo. Didn't do heavy detuning save for a couple gummy swipes on the tips and tails, but I brought a soft stone out with me and didn't need it. Mounted on the line. Go get 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Much had been said here already, but I wanna reiterate. Just got off a five hour session on some new 189 B97s. Vert eaters, limitless stability, make bad snow irrelevant. Ski bigger than the 191 M102s and a good bit heavier than all the 193/192 Cochises. Dampness on par with Pro Riders (but not as tiring), 184 monster 98s, 187 Showdown 105s for comparison. Smooth on or off edge. Love 'em.

Not turny or pivoty but easy to manipulate if ya drive 'em. Can feather or carve no problemo. Didn't do heavy detuning save for a couple gummy swipes on the tips and tails, but I brought a soft stone out with me and didn't need it. Mounted on the line. Go get 'em!
    Bry...why must you tempt me?! This is a ski I keep circling back to but I tell myself "Your M102's are fine...stick with them." I really want to try the 183 size.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Haha I was hoping you'd lean in here. They feel like very different skis IMO. M102 is more versatile and at slow speeds I can throw them sideways easy. Tried that out of the gate with the B97s and they pushed right back. B97s and K108s would minimize overlap!

Just wanna add that the B97s were great off piste lapping the dropouts with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    ... and a good bit heavier than all the 193/192 Cochises. Dampness on par with Pro Riders (but not as tiring), 184 monster 98s, 187 Showdown 105s for comparison. Smooth on or off edge. Love 'em.
    Like, truly heavier?
    The OG Cochise is less heavy and burly than the B97?

I've heard in multiple posts that they're not at all the same as the orange Bonafides (and I hope so, since I wasn't that impressed with the version I skied) - but are they really in the same wheelhouse as any of the Cochises? (Again, the old Bonafides sure were not.)

Yeah it sounds crazy but not too crazy... my 189 B97s came in at 2525g/2534g ski.

My OG 193 Cochise are about 2440 per ski, my Cochise 106s were 2463/2484 (sold 'em) and I have a pair of 192 gen 2s that are 2455/2468.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Like, truly heavier?
    My 189 B97 is noticeably heavier than my 186 OG Bodacious. Both mounted with 916s.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Like, truly heavier?
    B 183s are about 70g heavier per ski than my 2014 185 Cochise.

man everyones running the long ones. Im a bit over 6ft and 185, usually ski ~190 more rockered skis but was figuring 183 was fine given the flat tails and mass. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    man everyones running the long ones. Im a bit over 6ft and 185, usually ski ~190 more rockered skis but was figuring 183 was fine given the flat tails and mass. We shall see.
    It's a lot of ski for 183cm IMHO.