Page 43 of 109 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2711
    I’m looking at a pair of 188cm Rustler 10s as an every day/small storm ski for out west. I usually like my skis around 192-194 cm, but get along great with the 188cm Rustler 9s. How do the Rustler 10s ski? I’m nervous they will feel really short.

Maybe asking it this way would be better, I’m looking to fill the gap in my quiver between my 188cm Rustler/187 Brahma/194 MX98s, and my 192BMX 115/193 Mindbender 116C/193 Shiro. Do you guys think the Rustler 10 could slide in there and be alright, or will it feel too short?

Or any other suggestions for a ski to slide in to that spot? Maybe the new/updated Cochise?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’m looking at a pair of 188cm Rustler 10s as an every day/small storm ski for out west. I usually like my skis around 192-194 cm, but get along great with the 188cm Rustler 9s. How do the Rustler 10s ski? I’m nervous they will feel really short.

Maybe asking it this way would be better, I’m looking to fill the gap in my quiver between my 188cm Rustler/187 Brahma/194 MX98s, and my 192BMX 115/193 Mindbender 116C/193 Shiro. Do you guys think the Rustler 10 could slide in there and be alright, or will it feel too short?

Or any other suggestions for a ski to slide in to that spot? Maybe the new/updated Cochise?

The 10 in a 188 has been my everyday ski for the past 3 years. I love them. I tested the new Cochise at Mammoth in February and they will be replacing my 10's. They're just as playful and nimble but hold an edge way better and don't chatter at all, a bit closer to my BMX 105 hps. It has a more directional shape and a beefier construction. I would go for the Cochise.

Hey skibrd I have a friend with a pair of 188 rustler 10 hes trying to sell. Good shape, drilled twice. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

Get the Cochise

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

if you like R9s chances are good that you will like the current R10s - they should ski pretty similarly, or more so than R10s and R11s anyway. The current R10 is a bit heavier than the one Jay P has been riding these past seasons and should bridge the gap a bit from the Cochises he/you compares his to. I would not get the lighter og version - they are a bit on the light side. I really enjoyed my 2020 R10s. They def ski differently than a narrower R11s - re my previous post in this thread. R10s do not annihilate dense/wet variable, but are extremely fun in anything remotely soft and poppy & fun on hard snow. My best turn of the 2020 season was on said R10s. They prefer shorter turns on hard snow, but you can get them to turn like you want in anything softer. The only reason I sold mine was due to me mounting them with ATK FR14s that I ended up not liking, so sold the ski+binding thinking I would just get a new pair during the end of season sale with different bindings. Instead I decided to wait, try a pair of Fischer Ranger 102 fr I had. The tune on the 102fr was/is pretty terrible and so far they feel/ski like crap (though my expectations for them was perhaps a bit unrealistic). I imagine R10s would be even better with a heavier binding. My two pair quiver would be R10s + R11s if I could only have two pairs - they really cover most conditions one would see, are easy to ski yet very fun while coping with lots of speed. The main negative thing I can think of for R11s is the lack of a 184cm ski - the gap between 180 (178-79 irl) and the 188 is too big imho. I would like R10s to do bigger arcs even better, though a detune and a heavier more elastic binding could improve their abilities in that regard a lot. so long story short - i really, really like r10s.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 07-25-2020 at 03:03 PM. Reason: mods - it would be very, very appreciated if you could fix the current bugs re attaching pictures and not being able to do paragraphs

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    if you like R9s chances are good that you will like the current R10s - they should ski pretty similarly, or more so than R10s and R11s anyway. The current R10 is a bit heavier than the one Jay P has been riding these past seasons and should bridge the gap a bit from the Cochises he/you compares his to. I would not get the lighter og version - they are a bit on the light side. I really enjoyed my 2020 R10s. They def ski differently than a narrower R11s - re my previous post in this thread. R10s do not annihilate dense/wet variable, but are extremely fun in anything remotely soft and poppy & fun on hard snow. My best turn of the 2020 season was on said R10s. They prefer shorter turns on hard snow, but you can get them to turn like you want in anything softer. The only reason I sold mine was due to me mounting them with ATK FR14s that I ended up not liking, so sold the ski+binding thinking I would just get a new pair during the end of season sale with different bindings. Instead I decided to wait, try a pair of Fischer Ranger 102 fr I had. The tune on the 102fr was/is pretty terrible and so far they feel/ski like crap (though my expectations for them was perhaps a bit unrealistic). I imagine R10s would be even better with a heavier binding. My two pair quiver would be R10s + R11s if I could only have two pairs - they really cover most conditions one would see, are easy to ski yet very fun while coping with lots of speed. The main negative thing I can think of for R11s is the lack of a 184cm ski - the gap between 180 (178-79 irl) and the 188 is too big imho. I would like R10s to do bigger arcs even better, though a detune and a heavier more elastic binding could improve their abilities in that regard a lot. so long story short - i really, really like r10s.
    Sounds like they might fit what I’m looking for. A lot of what you said is how I feel about the R9s, great in everything except heavy wet slop, which will work for me. In that heavy wet slop (bottom 1/4 of the resort in the spring) on the R9s I use the suspension in the ski and tails to pop off/over everything to just get down to the bottom. What’s super interesting is I skied the R9s more days then I thought I would. I’d have them, Brahmas, and MX98s in my truck, and I’d grab the R9s more often then not. I like that the R10s aren’t a narrow R11, because I didn’t quite mesh with the R11, I wanted it to be what I thought an updated Gunsmoke should be, and it isn’t that ski, it’s more of a comp ski with a bit of a nerf for the general public, maybe that’s not right. A lot of people love the R11, so it’s probably a great ski, just not what I wanted. I’ll report back with my feelings/thoughts on the R10 when it’s time to shred. Now I need to find either an old pair of blue or silver Pivots, or another white pair.

Not being able to make long turns bothered me for a bit on the R9s, so when I’m feeling like big long turns, I grab the Brahmas or MX98s, correct tool for the job.

I’ve tried Cochises a few times now and something just isn’t quite right for me. WSTDeep thinks it’s my skiing style, which has evolved a lot thanks to his teaching/pestering over the past 5 seasons. I always look at the Cochise and think it will be awesome but idk, never is quite right. I’ve grown to like a bit more upright stance, and found that I prefer skis mounted a bit further forward then what the Cochise suggests. Maybe the new version of the Cochise will suit me better, but for now R10s.

Thanks for the offer Nick but I’m going to grab a pair of left over 2020 R10s, prices are sub $500 for a BNIP pair, that fine for me.

What's Blizzard up to?

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

I’ve tried Cochises a few times now and something just isn’t quite right for me. WSTDeep thinks it’s my skiing style, which has evolved a lot thanks to his teaching/pestering over the past 5 seasons. I always look at the Cochise and think it will be awesome but idk, never is quite right. I’ve grown to like a bit more upright stance, and found that I prefer skis mounted a bit further forward then what the Cochise suggests. Maybe the new version of the Cochise will suit me better, but for now R10s.

This is my conundrum too.

Cochise FOMO vs reality check.

I love my green 2019 R11s mounted at +1cm (-6.7cm) with Shifts, and think I want a pair of Cochises to rage inbounds with some extra Pivots I have (white btw), but I also never seem to feel right on skis with mount points around -10cm to -11cm. I prefer -5cm to -7cm??

It’s probably my upright stance/style and likely just being lazy being the reason that I like forward mounts. I’m in shape and can ski but sometimes am sliding turns when I should really carve...I’ve spent a lot of time on Renegades/Hojis and Factions and Icelantic’s with full rocker/flat rocker/minimal camber = fun to slide your tails.

Got the pow side covered with some 183cm Faction Candides (-5cm) and 182cm BC Animas (-5.5cm). And also have some 180cm (177cm stated length) K2 Marksman (-5cm) for spring slush and park/groomer days.

But it’s about quiver building....and having skis that challenge you. And ski different from each other.

So at this point in my COVID-induced over analysis ski obsessing for a ski season that seems so long away...I’m thinking of adding
    a 2020 Cochise. Looking at the 178cm Cochise as I’m 5’7”, 165 lbs, and my 180cm R11s are the perfect size.

Anyone skied the Blizzard R11s and the newer Cochise a lot and still loved them both? Equally?

Fischer Ranger 102 FR is supposedly a ski similar to what you are describing kc and most/all reviews are fairly glowing. They are supposed to be a bit more demanding than R10s, but still fairly loose and playful while retaining solid carving ability. They are supposedly fairly accomodating wrt mount point, with recommended being -10, but people mounting them at -6. The narrower version aka FR94s mount point is further forward at 7.5. So far my pair has yet to convince me due to an aweful tune making them ski like shit, though some tuning could change that. I have not tried any gen Cochise. Last but not least, they are practically giving them away at Sport Conrad and Sport Bittl nowadays at 40-50% off, so they could be worth a shot. I do not know if they ship across the pond.

I love my OG cochise. Been my daily driver for many years. Also own the R11, which I really like. My son got a set of Faction Dictator 3.0 and they are comparable in feel and intended use, but with a slightly more modern twist. Very nice ski.

I have some of the blue 185 Cochises with the carbon tip and tail I think I'm going to sell pretty cheap. They're in excellent shape. Don't think I'll ride lifts much this year unless I'm with a 6 year old, so they'll probably just sit idle if I keep them. PM me if interested.

Had a pair of Rustler 9s that were swapped out for Enforcer 93s, then Menace 98 and finally to the Fisher 102FR while on a trip to Utah when the 98s weren’t loving the rough conditions.

Like most skis from the factory, my Fisher 102 FR did not have flat bases(edge high tip/tail) from the factory and the edge angles were inconsistent. Covid hasn’t allowed a stone grind yet but they were made much better by first using bastard file dragged flat across ski to reduce edge high spots then used files/stones to set consistent base/edge levels. I run them sharp tip tail with no detuning(except above taper to reduce top sheet chipping) and are pretty good now. Will be even better after a grind.

The original Rustler 10 is a fun, forgiving and playful ski that just doesn’t have the weight or sidecut to be great in crud or at higher speeds. The heavier 2020 version is better but still not as good as options like the Enforcer 104 or 102 FR. Owning both, the heavier Enforcer 104 is damper and it’s increased rocker/tail splay make it super easy to pivot in bumps and tight spots especially with the mount moved forward(mine +2cm or -6.9cm). The Fisher 102 FR is stiffer than the Rustler 10 or E104 so it’s a bit less forgiving but it’s carving performance, stability at high speed and edge hold are the best of the group. A 191cm 102FR is available too. The 102 FR isn’t a heavy ski(similar to 2020 Rustler 10) but it’s smooth tip slope effortlessly glides over crud. I’ve got mine mounted at +2.5 cm/-7.4cm and it’s seems a good comprise although many do mount more forward. Many types of skiers could enjoy the 102FR with a mounting point adjustment.

The Fisher 94FR is quite light even compared to the 102FR, so not great in crud like the Rustler 9. The new Enforcer 94 might be the ticket in that width for a great all around ski that’s still good in crud.

The current Cochise is a heavier, more traditional charger type ski that is going to be a lighter(100 grams plus) and softer at the tip/tail for the new 2021 version I hear. Same traditional 11cm back mount point though.
    Thinking an Enforcer 104 or 110 with the mount moved up 2cm might be an option in between a Rustler 10/11 and the Cochise. Fisher 102FR could be considered as well if you’re willing to give up some dampness for increased precision.

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    (insight)
    Excellent post - thanks for the insight!

What's Blizzard up to?

Hi,

Thx. Good last few posts. Funny that I’ve been looking hard at the Enforcer 104 Free and Fischer 102FR a lot too. I like the dampness of the Nordica and it’s skiability if you move the mount forward. I agree I would mount the Nordica 104s at +2 (-6.75cm) in my sweet spot. And the Nordica 104 tails sound like I could slide them if I wanted to. I’ve also owned and liked Patrons and Helldorados in the past. Have read the Blister review of the Fischers....sounds awesome, just haven’t seen a ton of them on the hill. Enforcers are everywhere and the Prices are really good on enforcers. Not as good on the Fischer’s ($599CDN). There’s a local shop selling the 2020 Nordica Free 104 for $479CDN delivered ($350US) and I’ve seen Corbett’s has the 2020 Cochise for $509CDN delivered ($360US)....

given I have a spare pair of STHs with 100mm brakes and some Pivots with 115mm brakes and I bet I’ve saved $1,500 in gas over 3 months not commuting, working from home, I think the world is telling me I should just buy both the Nordica Free 104 and Cochise. Thanks for the new skis COVID.

Cochises would be so fun to own. If they kick my ass could just jump to the R11s or Free 104s.

Keep an eye on Quiver Pic thread in the fall...
    Last edited by kc_7777; 07-27-2020 at 03:53 PM.

In Canada, I’ve yet to see the Fisher 102FR for sale but saw all the positive reviews online and figured I’d like them. They were $419 US with free Binding mount when skiing in Utah, so figured why not! Stole my bindings from my Menace 98s to use on them and sold the 98s before I left Utah.

Live 1.5 hour drive from Corbetts and have bought over 20 pairs of skis from them so know them very well I’m afraid. 😂

The Enforcer 104 is the more easy going and surfy of the two with the Fisher 102 FR a bit more serious feeling. LOVE the Enforcers in soft moguls and in trees. Thinking a stone grind should make my Fishers easier to pivot but the stiffer flex and reduced tail rocker in comparison to the E104 will keep them less forgiving. Both are great skis with myself slightly preferring the Fishers on piste and Enforcers off piste.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Hi,
    Cochises would be so fun to own. If they kick my ass could just jump to the R11s or Free 104s.
    I haven't read all the upthread stuff, so this may not exactly apply.
    Consider the 185 Cochises. I've skied nearly every version of the Cochise and thought I wanted to stay in the 177/178's.
    I haven't skied the new Cochise, however.

Last year I ended up taking some 185 Cochises [Blue; carbon tips/tails] off my cousin.
    The stability boost was pretty nuts. (Way more margin when landing big airs.)

There are a few places where I'd want them shorter, but it's like 1% of the time.
    And I'm also 5'7" and 20# lighter. I'd never give the 185's up now.

I really wish I had a mint pair of the OG ones, but the newer carbon ones are just fine - they just ski a little different. (A little more edge, and little less tank-ish. I prefer the tank-ish ones, but the edge can be nice too.)

All that said - I ski hard, fast and I'm an adrenaline junkie. So, what I like may well not apply to you - but I'd really encourage you to take some time to ski the 185. You might find it a lot more like-able than you'd imagine. (If you're in my neck of the woods [Portland OR] you're welcome to rage on mine for a day, if you can pry my hands off them. I have a couple of different 177/178's you're also welcome to try.)

Interesting
    Cochise has become my daily driver. Like LP, but a bit more side cut and rocker.
    Stiff. But playfull if you are fat enough.
    . . .

What's Blizzard up to?

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Consider the 185 Cochises. I've skied nearly every version of the Cochise and thought I wanted to stay in the 177/178's.
    I haven't skied the new Cochise, however.
    Last year I ended up taking some 185 Cochises off my cousin. The stability boost was pretty nuts. (Way more margin when landing big airs.)
    There are a few places where I'd want them shorter, but it's like 1% of the time.
    And I'm also 5'7" and 20# lighter. I'd never give the 185's up now. I'd really encourage you to take some time to ski the 185. You might find it a lot more like-able than you'd imagine. (If you're in my neck of the woods [Portland OR] you're welcome to rage on mine for a day, if you can pry my hands off them. I have a couple of different 177/178's you're also welcome to try.)
    Noted. I hear ya.

I spent years on 185cm Opus, 185cm Helldos, 185cm Patrons, 185cm Bushy Wayne’s, 186cm Rens, 187cm Hojis, 185cm Blends, 184cm Devs. Even had some 2013 190cm Bibbys. I can ski those lengths and always thought I needed to be on a ski around 185cm to rip fast. But at 5’7” I’m just over 170cm tall? Then got on some 181cm NAS Pows and realized 180-183cm is more my good length? At 165 lbs I can easily float on a 176, 100mm waist ski (4FRNT MSP). So I don’t need the length for float.

So in my mind, on a 185cm Cochise, @ -10 (I’m going +1cm from -11cm on the Cochise as I have a short bsl of 289mm) that would be a ton of tip. ie if I’m used to a 180cm ski mounted at -6cm....then 180/2= 90 + 6 = 96cm from boot center to tip. A 185cm Cochise would be 185/2=92.5 + 10 = 102.5 from bc to tip.

An extra 6.5cm in front would just feel planky? I’m sure I could ski it and they would feel stable at speed straightlining stuff and and generally haul ass, without turning. But why? I’m not a huge dude. Turns are generally required at some point.

A 178cm Cochise would still be lots of tip for me. Eg.178/2 = 89 + 10 = 99cm from bc to tip....still a lot in front, when I’m used to 96cm.....but still more what I’m used to these days.

And I think a lot of people over ski themselves.
    I know I used to. Not anymore.

Re being in Portland. I wish I was in Hood River, OR windsurfing right now. Best place for spending my summers. Love the beer in Portland too. But I don’t think the border will be open for a while. Hopefully it is open by winter as I love skiing Baker storms.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 08-18-2020 at 01:35 AM.

I know I used to.
    I agree with this and I’m usually a proponent of ski bigger ski. You need to know and accept your skiing ability and how strong physically you are.

Two or three winters ago I was skiing every day, coaching hockey 4-5 days a week, actually going to the gym (novel concept), and I could ski my 202 Rangers, the 203 Shiros all day long. The last two winters I got home late, mid-dec last year and early Jan the year before, and never got strong enough to ski those big skis all day every day. I just had to realize if I was going on a big mission where I’d want the 203 Shiros, to grab them and know one big run was all I had in me, but if we were mini golfing OB laps, then I had to grab something 192-194, even going to where I’d grab my touring gear if we were planning on a lot of OB laps.

I’m hoping for low snow OB laps, the 188 Rustler 10 will be fine. The length makes me a tad nervous, but hopefully the weight and easy of skiing them will make up for it. We will see, if they don’t cut it, you guys will get first dibs!

https://www.sport-bittl.com/en/blizz...0::169619.html

Brahma 82 - 198 Euro, VAT inclusive

I know I used to. Not anymore.
    True, but it depends on the ski. I'm your size and the new Bonafide in 185 seemed balky and hooky. Rep(s) suggested I try the 177 and it was $$$. On the other hand, my soft snow go-to is the 188 R11; I've owned 2 pairs of 180's as well but sold them; just not quite enough platform at speed.

185 is still the right size for me in a Cochise, but it's a very different ski (2021 model a bit less so) and doesn't see much time on snow for me.

What's Blizzard up to?

Anyone know the rec mount on R10s (2020). 180cm preferably.

Blister says -7.2cm on the 188cms?

Thx

How do the Rustler 11s compare to the older Gunsmokes in terms of damp feeling and as a daily driver? A lot of newer skis tend to feel less damp to me than their predecessors did, I have been wondering for years and never demoed them.

The older flip core twins ironed out the mountain better than most similar freestyle skis from other big name brands, and were better daily drivers too.

Not as damp, but for being a lot lighter, surprisingly damp I'd say. Also I like the tail profile way better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChunderBumps View Post
    How do the Rustler 11s compare to the older Gunsmokes in terms of damp feeling and as a daily driver? A lot of newer skis tend to feel less damp to me than their predecessors did, I have been wondering for years and never demoed them.
    I think they are comparable, both get some tip flap at higher speeds but it's manageable. I've owned several pairs of 186 Gunsmokes and several pairs of 188 Rustler 11's and I think the R11 is a great replacement - the tail doesn't break and smear as easily, but the R11 pivots on edge a little more quickly. Both are great skis and I can't find any more Gunsmokes. One thing I don't miss is hooking the tails on lead changes and while skating . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I think they are comparable, both get some tip flap at higher speeds but it's manageable. I've owned several pairs of 186 Gunsmokes and several pairs of 188 Rustler 11's and I think the R11 is a great replacement - the tail doesn't break and smear as easily, but the R11 pivots on edge a little more quickly. Both are great skis and I can't find any more Gunsmokes. One thing I don't miss is hooking the tails on lead changes and while skating . . .
    Thanks. Seems like it’s worth a demo for sure. I enjoyed the gunsmokes but am a more directional skier.