Page 100 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2711
    Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Honestly that was not really why we changed the construction of 6 models of skis; men’s and women’s. Yes that was part of the discussion but this change addresses all of weaknesses that exist in the present design. It gives the skis a much rounder overall flex. Yes the tails might feel stiffer but that’s because the hinge point in both the tip and tail has been eliminated. Present Rustlers ski pretty short due to this hinge point. You feel a better connection to the full length of the skis with the new design. I think the R11 is much more stable at speed and in cut up crud. Much less deflection and nervousness. I’ve mostly been skiing the 192 but had a few days on the 186 as well. 186 R10 skis longer than the previous gen 188.

I think the changes improve the performance at the high end without making them harder to use. If anything they’re actually easier to ski as they are much more balanced in flex. Less nervousness, less deflection, ski their length, etc.
    Just going off what Blizzard’s guy said on Blister Gear Review about changing the stiffness of the R11 tails. It’s great to hear what you have to say about them-my burnt orange R11s will be up for sale in the fall!

I enjoyed the commentary on the Cochise 106 in the recent blister podcast as well. Ya’ll are definitely sleeping on the C106….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Honestly that was not really why we changed the construction of 6 models of skis; men’s and women’s. Yes that was part of the discussion but this change addresses all of weaknesses that exist in the present design. It gives the skis a much rounder overall flex. Yes the tails might feel stiffer but that’s because the hinge point in both the tip and tail has been eliminated. Present Rustlers ski pretty short due to this hinge point. You feel a better connection to the full length of the skis with the new design. I think the R11 is much more stable at speed and in cut up crud. Much less deflection and nervousness. I’ve mostly been skiing the 192 but had a few days on the 186 as well. 186 R10 skis longer than the previous gen 188.

I think the changes improve the performance at the high end without making them harder to use. If anything they’re actually easier to ski as they are much more balanced in flex. Less nervousness, less deflection, ski their length, etc.
    Any thinking about a Rustler 8? Think it’d make a pretty fun east coast ski

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I enjoyed the commentary on the Cochise 106 in the recent blister podcast as well. Ya’ll are definitely sleeping on the C106….

A lot of people have been saying it’s been neutered. Maybe a good ski, just not in the same category it used to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Velomayniac View Post
    A lot of people have been saying it’s been neutered. Maybe a good ski, just not in the same category it used to be?
    It’s not that it’s neutured, it’s just not as fun or has the same feeling as the old ones. You can still rage as hard as you want on the 192.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    It’s not that it’s neutured, it’s just not as fun or has the same feeling as the old ones. You can still rage as hard as you want on the 192.
    I have a hard time understanding the new one. Does seem a bit misunderstood in general.

I think it could work for someone like me, heavy guy that likes chargers, but also ski a lot of moguls and tight spots. That’s what I got from the Blister review too.

How stable is the 192 Cochise 106 compared to 192 Declivity X? Declivity is just about where I draw the line for “charger”. Nothing to do with my ability, more like my weight and probably lack of balance I need a stiffer ski to hold me up when I’m speeding through smaller bumps and crud. I’m glad you steered me away from the Blade Optic 114

I almost traded the Declivity X for Cochise 106, but just started at a new University at the time and took my time/forgot. When I reached out to the guy again, he started swearing at me about wasting his time.

I have a hard time understanding the new one. Does seem a bit misunderstood in general.

I think it could work for someone like me, heavy guy that likes chargers, but also ski a lot of moguls and tight spots. That’s what I got from the Blister review too.

How stable is the 192 Cochise 106 compared to 192 Declivity X? Declivity is just about where I draw the line for “charger”. Nothing to do with my ability, more like my weight and probably lack of balance I need a stiffer ski to hold me up when I’m speeding through smaller bumps and crud. I’m glad you steered me away from the Blade Optic 114

I almost traded the Declivity X for Cochise 106, but just started at a new University at the time and took my time/forgot. When I reached out to the guy again, he started swearing at me about wasting his time.

see, and that statement right there pretty much sells me on a cochise over my Corvus. I like my Cochise I picked up for cheap on GS but it’s the black special edition with the carbon tips, I want a full build new one.

I am most interested in finding a mint pair of 2019 Orange Cochise 192

It’s more stable than the declivity X on hard snow as it has way less taper, 20cm? The tail is also a slight bit stiffer on the cochise, but I don’t find the declivity particularly soft, more just lacking effective edge in the tip. I definitely think the cochise could work well for you, it’s also more fun in bumps than gen 2, but not surfy like gen 1.
    I wrote a review somewhere in here, probably past season.

It’s more stable than the declivity X on hard snow as it has way less taper, 20cm? The tail is also a slight bit stiffer on the cochise, but I don’t find the declivity particularly soft, more just lacking effective edge in the tip. I definitely think the cochise could work well for you, it’s also more fun in bumps than gen 2, but not surfy like gen 1.
    I wrote a review somewhere in here, probably past season.
    Thank you. Interesting, I’d like to try them for sure. I’d plan to use them for firm, mid winter conditions. Bry’s response to them has me a bit scared.

You gonna come down and ski Tahoe this spring?

I agree.
    I have all three and have skied all three, combined, many days in the last couple of years.

The OG had a specific feel, and the "revised" Carbon version was very different. The new C106 is a different feel yet again, though it's much closer to the OG than the carbon versions.
    In short, the OG was very smooth, and damp, but also very drifty. (Lots of tip/tail splay.) It was not great in harder conditions.
    The Carbon 108 was *much* better in firmer conditions and more technical situations, but lost that ultra smooth drifty sense. (IMO, there's no way to really have both.)
    The 106 is much more drifty than the previous version, but still maintains a fair bit of the technical chops of the Carbon 108's.

IMO, the C106 is very good.
    I'd hate to give up any of them, but if I had to, I'd get rid of the Carbon 108's first, the OG's next and the C106's last.
    So, no, I would certainly not say they're neutered.

I think I'd say that the OG's were, compared to what had come before, a huge step up.
    For the C106s to be as "revolutionary" and as big of a step-up again, well they'd have to come from God or something...

And for people who wanted that same step-up and that classic feel, it was "disappointing" to get just another 10/10 ski. (Even to myself, I say; "Quit bitching, it's still a 10/10 ski!")

Yeah - they are not going to blow your socks off like the OGs did in specific conditions, but they are much more well rounded than all the previous Cochise’s, which were best in class for what they did but kinda one trick pony’s. The new C106 is a perfect daily driver for a directional skier who likes the ski the fall line off groom.

Jonathan’s quote from the podcast: “I have many days where I think today would be a great Cochise day” which I think sums it up. Unless there is over 6” of new snow or unless I’m skiing groomers all day; I’m on the Cochise. I sold my Bonafides because the new Cochise works so well.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Does anyone here own the Hustle 11? Why did Blizzard release a "touring ski" that weighs more than the Rustler it is based on? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    Does anyone here own the Hustle 11? Why did Blizzard release a "touring ski" that weighs more than the Rustler it is based on? Am I missing something?
    They get into it in this GEAR:30 podcast

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2gs...RcO9TMoOGgu2-w

Not sure I found the argument convincing, but wasn’t really paying close attention.

blizzard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1683181202.499576.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	612.8 KB 
ID:	458023
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Shifts on Gunsmokes. Probably not a lot of folks using that setup. Looks like fun.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I don’t tour much with em but I like having the option
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    I agree.
    I have all three and have skied all three, combined, many days in the last couple of years.

The OG had a specific feel, and the "revised" Carbon version was very different. The new C106 is a different feel yet again, though it's much closer to the OG than the carbon versions.
    In short, the OG was very smooth, and damp, but also very drifty. (Lots of tip/tail splay.) It was not great in harder conditions.
    The Carbon 108 was *much* better in firmer conditions and more technical situations, but lost that ultra smooth drifty sense. (IMO, there's no way to really have both.)
    The 106 is much more drifty than the previous version, but still maintains a fair bit of the technical chops of the Carbon 108's.

IMO, the C106 is very good.
    I'd hate to give up any of them, but if I had to, I'd get rid of the Carbon 108's first, the OG's next and the C106's last.
    So, no, I would certainly not say they're neutered.

I think I'd say that the OG's were, compared to what had come before, a huge step up.
    For the C106s to be as "revolutionary" and as big of a step-up again, well they'd have to come from God or something...

And for people who wanted that same step-up and that classic feel, it was "disappointing" to get just another 10/10 ski. (Even to myself, I say; "Quit bitching, it's still a 10/10 ski!")
    I have a pair OG and the 106, and skied the carbon tip a fair amount as well. I agree with that assessment but will note I'm too scrawny to ski the 193...

I often go weeks without skiing my 106, but every time I ski it, I question why it's been so long.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Might not be the best thread but I am going to throw it out there - I have a (fairly new to me) pair of Rustler 9s that I really enjoy. Skied probably 6 days over the past few months on them. Today, I noticed they are separating/delaminating on one side of one ski at roughly the brake of the heel. It's happening at both the top and bottom of the sidewall, ~3" and ~1" respectively. This is the second pair of skis that this has happened to me with this season. The first is an older pair of enforcer 110s that had 3 mounts and probably 200 days on them, so I didn't think too much of it. Now I am wondering if I am fucking something up, given it's happened twice? Too much/ little forward pressure? Bad mounts? I'm bigger and ski hard but there are people out there skiing way harder than me, so it seems a bit egregious for them to pull apart like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ABinThe603 View Post
    Might not be the best thread but I am going to throw it out there - I have a (fairly new to me) pair of Rustler 9s that I really enjoy. Skied probably 6 days over the past few months on them. Today, I noticed they are separating/delaminating on one side of one ski at roughly the brake of the heel. It's happening at both the top and bottom of the sidewall, ~3" and ~1" respectively. This is the second pair of skis that this has happened to me with this season. The first is an older pair of enforcer 110s that had 3 mounts and probably 200 days on them, so I didn't think too much of it. Now I am wondering if I am fucking something up, given it's happened twice? Too much/ little forward pressure? Bad mounts? I'm bigger and ski hard but there are people out there skiing way harder than me, so it seems a bit egregious for them to pull apart like that.
    Who is doing these mounts? Maybe you're over torquing and somehow delamming the topsheets?

Quote Originally Posted by ABinThe603 View Post
    Any edge compressions? I've delammed Rustlers and Enforcers after compressing the edge under the heal. My other theory is pivots exacerbate this issue.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    Any edge compressions? I've delammed Rustlers and Enforcers after compressing the edge under the heal. My other theory is pivots exacerbate this issue.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    No edge compressions, interestingly my enforcer 94s have a moderate edge compression under one of the heel pieces and are fine.

Two different shops 2 years apart have mounted them. I have made relatively small adjustments to AFD and forward pressure switching between alpine/gripwalk soles this season. My hypothesis is that I overtorqued the forward pressure and ended up with a delam, then water damage cause the lower section of the sidewall to separate. However, this is post-hoc and I'm 95% sure that I have correctly set the forward pressure.

http://www.evo.com/en-ca/reviews/ski...ard-rustler-11

Great maggot review and comparison of old and new stock R11s.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 08-19-2023 at 09:20 AM. Reason: brevity

I'm looking for the latest R11's to be on sale for labor Day - I only see locally Evo has them in stock (Salt Lake City). From web browsing no one else even has them, although their websites may be outdated.

Anyone see them on sale this weekend locally or online? Or are they just not going to be on sale? Wasatchback you know anything?

Haven't shopped Labor Day Sales in decades but it used be that everything was on sale then. Not anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I'm looking for the latest R11's to be on sale for labor Day - I only see locally Evo has them in stock (Salt Lake City). From web browsing no one else even has them, although their websites may be outdated.

Anyone see them on sale this weekend locally or online? Or are they just not going to be on sale? Wasatchback you know anything?

Haven't shopped Labor Day Sales in decades but it used be that everything was on sale then. Not anymore?
    You might find a deal in person, but no one can advertise a new model ski on sale until their aggreement says they can. Which isn't until 2024.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025