Page 22 of 108 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    something I can ski as hard as I want or as playful as I was over the normal variety of inbounds conditions.
    sounds like the Rustler 11 is exactly what you’re looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    sounds like the Rustler 11 is exactly what you’re looking for.
    Thats what I had been thinking. Maybe i'm taking the words of blistergear a little too much to heart? Have you had a chance to try to R 10s? I'd also be interested in a pair of those, though I do like the versatility of 112mm underfood from the 11. So long as I can still rail em and trust they're gonna hold.

What's Blizzard up to?

I spent about 10 days on the R10s. Really liked them for their combo of being lightish, but not overly nervous. Once you detune the fuck out of the them, the dinky radius isn’t too much of an issue. Fun ski. They ski longer than you’d think.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    Thats what I had been thinking. Maybe i'm taking the words of blistergear a little too much to heart? Have you had a chance to try to R 10s? I'd also be interested in a pair of those, though I do like the versatility of 112mm underfood from the 11. So long as I can still rail em and trust they're gonna hold.
    I haven’t skied the 10s. Just the 11s. Two runs in mixed soft snow conditions was enough for me to order a pair.

Would a 185 Cochise and 188 R11 be too redundant?

The R11 sounds better to me if I didn't own other skis, but I feel like I'd get more utility out of the R10 combined w/Cochise and my dedicated pow ski that I only bring out on really deep days.

ended up going with a pair of R10's last night. I'll update once I get some time on them. Theres a decent chance R11's follow at some point later this season...

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post

The R11 sounds better to me if I didn't own other skis, but I feel like I'd get more utility out of the R10 combined w/Cochise and my dedicated pow ski that I only bring out on really deep days.
    between the cochise and your dedicated pow ski, when would you choose the rustler?
    pow -> powski (duh)
    not so much pow -> cochise.

solved it for ya. Spend those bucks on lift tickets.

Been some time since I purchased skis. The Rustler 11 sounds like a fun option. That said, I'm torn between the 188 and 192 @ 6'1.5" and 195lbs. I want to keep things playful but also prefer slightly longer skis when it gets deep.

Quote Originally Posted by azzure View Post
    Been some time since I purchased skis. The Rustler 11 sounds like a fun option. That said, I'm torn between the 188 and 192 @ 6'1.5" and 195lbs. I want to keep things playful but also prefer slightly longer skis when it gets deep.
    Go big

Flexing the Rustler the other day, I though it was fairly soft..

Is it as stable as the gunsmoke/peacemaker?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Flexing the Rustler the other day, I though it was fairly soft..

Is it as stable as the gunsmoke/peacemaker?

Yes but less playful. Gunsmoke wasn’t that stiff either. Rustler 11 skis like a Bodacious (pre 2015) and Gunsmoke had a baby. 15/16 and 16/17 Bodacious was stiff but lacked the dampness of metal making it not that stable. Rustler keeps a damp feel underfoot with more metal than a Gunsmoke but enables a livelier tip and tail.

I think having multiple styles of skis is underrated. Sometimes I want to ski fast and edgy so I take my Cochise. Sometimes I want something more playful and quick so I take my Kartel 108s. Both crush it in a variety of conditions but enable me to play with how I want to ski. I have a 192 Cochise and a 188 Rustler BTW. P18s on Cochise. KingPins on Rustlers.

What's Blizzard up to?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Yes but less playful. Gunsmoke wasn’t that stiff either. Rustler 11 skis like a Bodacious (pre 2015) and Gunsmoke had a baby. 15/16 and 16/17 Bodacious was stiff but lacked the dampness of metal making it not that stable. Rustler keeps a damp feel underfoot with more metal than a Gunsmoke but enables a livelier tip and tail.
    The thing I loved about the gunsmokes, was their supreme “edginess” and carving ability. Best carving skis I have ever been on over 110mm underfoot. That, and the fact they were still very playful, was a combo I rarely find in skis.

Do the Rustlers keep that carvy, edgy feel? I never feel that same edginess in the Cochise, I have skied both the OG (2013?) and newer(2016?) Cochise.

When you say livelier tip and tail, do you mean the flex is less consistent? I am not opposed to that, I tend to like a progressive flex on jib skis.

Yeah, it’s still progressive, but the tip loads more and is quicker to pick up a turn than a Cochise or Bodacious and more like the Gunsmoke due to the tighter turn radius. The Cochise is every bit as edgy as the Gunsmoke but has a longer turn radius hence it takes much more energy to carve a similar turn. The Rustler turn radius has more in common with the Gunsmoke - hence it is quicker and will feel ‘carvy-er.’

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    The thing I loved about the gunsmokes, was their supreme “edginess” and carving ability. Best carving skis I have ever been on over 110mm underfoot. That, and the fact they were still very playful, was a combo I rarely find in skis.

Do the Rustlers keep that carvy, edgy feel? I never feel that same edginess in the Cochise, I have skied both the OG (2013?) and newer(2016?) Cochise.

When you say livelier tip and tail, do you mean the flex is less consistent? I am not opposed to that, I tend to like a progressive flex on jib skis.

My experience on the gunsmoke vs the og and new versions of the cochise is the exact opposite. The gunsmokes may hook up earlier but they cannot lay high speed gs trenches with the cochise.

To me the gunsmokes were a jack of all trades, master of none, and I sold them after 10 days or so. Lighter skiers seem to like them better.

I am a bigger guy, but I liked the 186 Gunsmokes because they were more stable and more predictable on edge than almost all other 185ish jib skis, yet still had a similar level of playfulness. The 193 was more of a forgiving charger for me, rather than a playful jibby ski, and for that I just would rather have a directional ski. This is similar to how I felt about the bibby pro. I always chose my 196 governors over 190 bibbys. The 184 bibbys were much more “jibby” for me.

The first gen Cochise, I put like 35 days on. I was always flat base skiing them, I didnt like how they felt on edge. My gunsmokes were new, and cochise used, so now that I think of it, that was why the gunnies felt “edgier” than cochise.

At first I really enjoyed other aspects of the first gen cochise though, but after I tried the Katana is was game over for the cochise. Katanas could carve/edge better, and float much better. It still could handle bumps well with full rocker, and was ultimately more stable and more predictable in soft and firm crud, than the first gen cochise.

The newer gen cochise, I only put a few runs on the 2015/16, and I just didnt think it was as damp as I like in a rage ski. I aint buying the 193 cochise to mess around. The following year I got head monster 108s, which obliterated the cochise in all aspects I’d ever consider buying a rage ski for. It could carve worlds better, was 2x as damp, and it felt much better when going mach looney on anything firm.

Whats the beta on drilling the Rustler series for a binding mount?
    Bit nervous about the whole carbon-flipcore-DRT-titanal sandwich.
    Last edited by I, the Powfinder; 11-14-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by I, the Powfinder View Post
    Whats the beta on drilling the Rustler series for a binding mount?
    Bit nervous about the whole carbon-flipcore-DRT-titanal sandwich.
    Why would you be nervous? You're drilling into a sheet of metal. use a 4.1x9.5 bit, simple as that.

Had day one on my R10's yesterday and have to say, pretty damn sick. Really nice to be back on a ski that lets me ski 100% hard on choppy/icy/variable snow. Yesterday at Breck was a bit of Mayvember, but when the sun dropped it turned to half slush have ice, and I was able to lay GS turns consistently without even thinking about the sun/shadow line. After too many symmetrical noodles, it was very refreshing to be on a ski that lets me ski like I actually know what I'm doing again.. Stoked for more days.

Also the tails are pretty much perfect. Havent had this much fun tailpressing rollers

I have a 185 Cochise and a 180 Rustler 11 (wish I had a 188 R11 but Ill add that at some point) and I think they compliment each other, the rustler is really chargey and can rail even in the 180—caveat, I'm not a huge guy. And the Cochise is a balls to the wall ski like no other.

Im about your same size and I demoed the Rustler 11 in 192 the other day and it rips. I had a blast on it. Might be a bit much for the resort though. Its a crusher for sure. Manageable in the bumps. For in bounds duty I would go for the 188.

Just mounted up mine. Went with the 188 R11 and mounted inserts for Sth2 and Kingpins. Looking forward to getting some time on them. Mounted Kingpin on the line, Sth2 i went +2 to not interfere with kingpin pattern. Hope +2 isnt too far forward.

I purchased the 192s as most reviews say they aren't too burly. Once they arrive I'll take a look and decide if I should keep or send back for something shorter. Basically hoping this will be similar to my 192 GPOs but a little more playful. Prob too much overlap anyway.

RUSTLER 11 192/188?

I purchased the 192s as most reviews say they aren't too burly. Once they arrive I'll take a look and decide if I should keep or send back for something shorter. Basically hoping this will be similar to my 192 GPOs but a little more playful. Prob too much overlap anyway.
    HI!
    Any news about the Rustler in 192?

I'm a sporty skier from europe ( 6'2 , 175 lbs) ...and i would use the rustler 11 mostly in powder and trees at medium to higher speed. ...so it sould be stable but also playfull enough to handle trees.
    Which size would you recomand for me 192 or 188.?

Does anybody have anything more to say about the Rustler 10?