Relocating to Portland, OR - Probably should find a job

I am currently in the process of relocating to Portland, OR and am hoping some mags can help me secure a job before I run out of savings. I will be arriving in mid to late January.

Currently, I work at a small investment bank in NYC; my job is mainly concerned with the creation of operating and valuation models as well as marketing our deals to potential investors.

Very much open to the actual job but would prefer something in a financial capacity within an outdoor's related company; corporate development, FP&A, strategic planning, etc . Also, I have a lot of experience providing financial and fund raising advice to start-ups, which is another area I am interested in.

If anyone knows of anything that I might be a good fit for or could recommend a good recruiter, it would be much appreciated. Perhaps I’ll buy you a beer or two for your help.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Good luck, man. While SF is notorious for no housing options, PDX is notorious for no jobs and it's not getting any easier. The growth in this town has been insane over the last few years - lots of people moving here, not enough jobs to go around. That said, if you want to get into the outdoor side, try hitting up some of the big local employers... Nike, Adidas, Columbia, Icebreaker, DaKine etc... Otherwise, you could try the banks. There are a bunch headquartered here.

I'd definitely secure something before you make the commitment to move.

Thanks man, I've already reached out to the big players but didn't know Dakine and Icebreaker where there as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCoast070 View Post
    Thanks man, I've already reached out to the big players but didn't know Dakine and Icebreaker where there as well. Thanks for the heads up.
    You're welcome. Oh, and just a head's up... DaKine is out in Hood River, about an hour from downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    Good luck, man. While SF is notorious for no housing options, PDX is notorious for no jobs and it's not getting any easier. The growth in this town has been insane over the last few years - lots of people moving here, not enough jobs to go around. That said, if you want to get into the outdoor side, try hitting up some of the big local employers... Nike, Adidas, Columbia, Icebreaker, DaKine etc... Otherwise, you could try the banks. There are a bunch headquartered here.

I'd definitely secure something before you make the commitment to move.
    How much of Portland's difficulty in finding jobs is from lazy, unmotivated losers showing up to live the Portlandia granola life who don't really have any concrete marketable skills that pay well?

Ya noticed that, thank you though.

I am moving there job or no job so feel free to clue me in on anything else you think I should know. Have a close friend from college who has lived their for ~1 1/2 years so she has given me some good beta but I am sure there is a lot she just doesn't know yet.

might be a little tough to see on a phone
    open on your cpu

http://pdxeconomicdevelopment.com/do...try-Poster.pdf

Thanks man, that is just what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCoast070 View Post
    I am currently in the process of relocating to Portland, OR and am hoping some mags can help me secure a job before I run out of savings. I will be arriving in mid to late January.

Currently, I work at a small investment bank in NYC; my job is mainly concerned with the creation of operating and valuation models as well as marketing our deals to potential investors.

Very much open to the actual job but would prefer something in a financial capacity within an outdoor's related company; corporate development, FP&A, strategic planning, etc . Also, I have a lot of experience providing financial and fund raising advice to start-ups, which is another area I am interested in.

If anyone knows of anything that I might be a good fit for or could recommend a good recruiter, it would be much appreciated. Perhaps I’ll buy you a beer or two for your help.
    In terms of strategy, I would recommend looking outside of the outdoor industry. It's been discussed before, but you're usually trading a lower salary and less time spent doing what you love for being around like-minded people and a few hookups/bro deals/ perks that hardly justify the pay cut, except for sometimes in a few choice organizations (Arc'teryx, Patagonia, Under Armor, Burton), none of which are located in Portland.

I'd say there are enough outdoorsy folks in PDX that you'd be better off working somewhere with good flex-scheduling or WFH benefits and a decent salary, and stick to meeting your friends and activity buddies at the climbing gym or on the hill.

Just my .02$ re a question you didn't exactly ask... :-/
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    How much of Portland's difficulty in finding jobs is from lazy, unmotivated losers showing up to live the Portlandia granola life who don't really have any concrete marketable skills that pay well?
    You're basing this on experience here? When?

Quote Originally Posted by jesski View Post
    In terms of strategy, I would recommend looking outside of the outdoor industry. It's been discussed before, but you're usually trading a lower salary and less time spent doing what you love for being around like-minded people and a few hookups/bro deals/ perks that hardly justify the pay cut, except for sometimes in a few choice organizations (Arc'teryx, Patagonia, Under Armor, Burton), none of which are located in Portland.

I'd say there are enough outdoorsy folks in PDX that you'd be better off working somewhere with good flex-scheduling or WFH benefits and a decent salary, and stick to meeting your friends and activity buddies at the climbing gym or on the hill.

Just my .02$ re a question you didn't exactly ask... :-/
    All good, your input is appreciated.

Get in touch with a recruiter now so you can have interviews scheduled by the time you arrive.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Err - it's a small city, with a small pool of potential jobs. There aren't many places to market skills. Especially at the higher end. And there are, and were, a number of highly skilled people looking to relocate. If your friends at all observant Iceaxe she likely knows much of whats there. Bring a job with you. Outside of the granola scene my experience was a number of the companies were old line gray suit thinking corporate, bit of a change from the city, but that was a bit ago. Great city in many ways if you can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    You're basing this on experience here? When?
    No personal experience. I have come across several articles like this:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/21...referrer=&_r=0

Hugh Conway Guest
    they NYT prints clueless lies. unless you are lucky enough to know someone powerful enough that the dowager bitch quoted them accurately.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Working with a number of recruiters and had an initial phone screen with someone from Nike on Friday. Making moves.

Not unrelated - is CL the best way to go about apt hunting? Are a lot of places filled via broker and if so, how do the fees work out/what is the standard rate?

i came from nyc back in 2000
    we gave ourselves a week at a b&b and just rode bikes thru the neighborhoods we were interested in to look for apartments

the only reason to use a broker in pdx is if you're an executive that needs things set up by others in advance of your arrival
    give yourself a little time and it won't be too painful

it's not as cheap as you'd hope, but it's refreshingly affordable in comparison to nyc
    a little bit of a small-town culture shock too -- don't plan on eating dinner out at 10p every night & def not on Mondays

don't plan on eating a gret corned beef sandwich either.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    don't plan on eating a great corned beef sandwich either.
    Sandwiches are actually a great point I didn't consider. Might need to re-consider this one.

I land in Portland January 19th. Staying with a friend initially but if anyone know of/has a fully furnished sublet for 1-3 month time frame please LMK. Preferably in an areas where a car is not needed.