Thread: Tuckermans????

Tuckermans????

Anybody have a recent report? Anybody going this beautiful weekend?

Thinking about Sunday. A first hand report would be ideal.

2nd hand report says there's still snow down to the parking lot, and great cover in the bowl. with the temps this weekend it'll probably be just about ideal (read: ski in a t-shirt, don't have to hike out)

from tuckermans.org

Avalanche Advisory for Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines

Posted: 8:07 a.m., Friday, April 8, 2005

Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines have LOW avalanche danger today. Natural avalanches are very unlikely and human triggered avalanche are unlikely except in isolated pockets. Normal caution is advised.

Yesterday's weather forecast didn't really play out as we anticipated and we managed to only receive a trace of rain at Hermit Lake and .6 cm (.25") on the Summit. Without the forecasted amount of rain, none of the avalanche forecast areas reached their Considerable rating and all the snow stayed in place. As of now the snow is really in place due to copious amounts of free water in the snowpack freezing last night as summit temperatures fell into the teens. We are expecting mostly clear skies today with temperatures falling further into the teens as the day progresses. Winds are forecasted to be out of the W 48 to 80 kph (30 to 50 mph) this morning and then shift to the NW and decrease to 32 to 65 kph (20 to 30 mph). Cool temperatures and wind may keep many surfaces rock hard today. You should be very cautious about skiing anything that hasn't softened up. Crampons and an ice axe are recommended for skiers and riders so they can safely escape a steep and icy slope. As of right now it looks like high pressure will dominate the weekend bringing us sunny skies and relatively warm temperatures.

With the onset of springtime temperatures and moisture (aka "rain") the associated hazards are here so keep an eye out for falling ice and rock, undermined snow, developing crevasses and open water such as in the exit from the Bowl. Be aware of the hazards around you!

THE LION HEAD WINTER ROUTE IS OPEN. We have marked the least dangerous line of travel through the Lion Head Snowfields with tall pieces of bamboo. Remember that as these snowfields develop late in the season this route does travel through avalanche terrain and you will need to make your own assessments. Avalanche awareness and good judgment are necessary in addition to mountaineering skills and equipment on this route. Crampons and an ice axe are a must for safe travel on Mount Washington. The John Sherburne Ski Trail has good coverage with sections of moguls. Running water from the weekend's rain event did some damage in a couple of places so keep an eye out for holes, thin spots and eroded snow.

The Harvard Cabin has closed for the season and camping is not allowed in the area. The only option for staying overnight in the Cutler River Drainage is at Hermit Lake. Please plan accordingly.

As always, this advisory is one more tool to help you make your own decisions in avalanche terrain. It should be used along with your own snow stability assessments, knowledge of safe travel techniques, skill in reading mountain weather's effect on the snowpack, and avalanche rescue.

[Monty Burns] Excellent...[/MB]
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Going up next weekend (4/16) for the Friends of Tuckerman Ravine Inferno Race. I am setting the course with some other guys. It will be coming down from the snowfields over the Lip and then down finishing in the bottom of the bowl. I will be one of the dudes sitting on the course working as a gate keeper for most of the day. If anyone wants to come up and watch the race it is usually a good time. If you go up, stop by and say hello.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

I also saw a shot from the west summit snowfields yesterday that looked kickass. Skiable from the summit to the highway! Have a ball BP.

Montreal crew will be there: Gin and Mit.

I'll be at Sugarloaf. Everyone who goes: get some!

For those who don't know- Basom's old crew at Jay (me and others) will still be draggin' out the season. Planning to ski and huck (old halfpipe?) in the sun. Should be niiice.

Gin- have fun at Tucks, hope y'all haven't given up on Jay.

i think i'm going to be in oaks tomarrow. if monroe brook isn't too wet. if it is, then i will have wasted a lot of time. but if the aproach is too too shitty i guess i might end up in the bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    i think i'm going to be in oaks tomarrow. if monroe brook isn't too wet. if it is, then i will have wasted a lot of time. but if the aproach is too too shitty i guess i might end up in the bowl.
    sounds like you're pondering some sickety sick insanity for tomorrow there Ben!

well, mister anus, more like pondering wallowing around in a raging torent only to turn back in wretched distain. and honestly, if that happens, i will not go to the bowl, because i'll be soaking fucking wet. either way, its not that fun, or cool.

Ah Tuckerman.. Blows away anything out West, that's fer sure!

Anyone been over to King Ravine? I haven't found too much online help, but it sure looks neato from rt 16.

Possible gaper day forming for tomorrow at Stowe. If anyone is around I'll either be wearing a blue one piece, or some plaid pants.

I'll probably be at Tucks on the 16th, so I'll be looking for everyone. Look for the guy with the trekker-skin combo on some Big Feet.

nhtele has been up there, not this year though. its a long slog. really long.

I like long walks on the beach, so it might be good for me.

Me walking to King Ravine:

Time to go purchase a keg. Yarrrrr