Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    I also agree, I finally saw it today; and I only saw two movies last year; so me waiting out a movie is no big deal; but figured I had to see it. I was going to see it superbowl sunday before the game, glad I did not or it would have bummed out the game which I thought was good; but I am a broncos fan.

Judas it was bad, a complete ripoff of four.

I actually re-thought 1 thru 3 and thought they were not so bad; at least the had original storylines.

You couldn't come up with a better villian than solo's son and still kill off solo ?

And enough with trotting out former alien characters, come up with some new ones and give out some makeup guys new work; you knew you'd make money to pay them.

I understand you need a new younger cast for the next generation of star wars fans but could you get any more politically correct with a black guy, a girl and a possible interracial relationship ? you're freaking star wars, be bigger than that pc crap.

Total disaapointment. Someone will have to pay me to go to see the next one or i'll just wait until it's out on dvd and someone will likely rent it and make me watch it because it's "star wars" for free.

man that movie sucked.
    All exactly on point. I was and still am so disappointed in this steaming piece of crap movie.
    You should have been here yesterday!

I thought Force Awakens was good clean fun, obviously a remake of a movie that deserved a modern-tech remake, and pretty much worthy of its source material. If you prefer the original three, then fine, they’re classics, they’re great, I love the original SW too, so watch them again on Blu-Ray.

I just can’t get behind the idea that Hollywood owes it to us all to create some larger than life saga that’s anchored in the original SW movies. The original SW, yes it was great, but story- and theme-wise, it was hardly deep ("use the force!" "don’t try, do!"). And when Lucas tried to build on it with the prequels, the reaction (speaking personally) was “who gives a shit about all this backstory, let’s see some fun space-western action!” In terms of saga continuity, I can’t say I have a big problem with “a generation later, history repeats itself”; history is kind of like that sometimes.

So then, where I’m coming from is that I just don’t expect all that much from a Disney acquisition of a once-great space opera classic, my expectations are well grounded in the fact that the original SW movies were innovative and fun but also rather lightweight, and that, given those expectations, hey, FA was a good flick.

Yeah I liked it too

what the fuck are you guys expecting out of "star wars", academy-award level writing? Its an outer space action flick

It seemed to me like basically a remake of IV, which is fine. Four came out when, like 1978?? Certainly ok to make a modern remake,, theyve done it with tons and tons of other movies. It ticked all the star wars boxes for me.. Cool aliens, check. X-wing fighter battles, check. Newbies discovering the force check. Light saber fights, check. I liked the girl as the main character and the black dude as a former storm trooper was a way to freshen up the story. I saw it in the theater and was thoroughly entertained. what else do you want.

> Four came out when, like 1978??

1977. Here's how ancient that is, in cinema terms: That was back when people thought Annie Hall was a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    > Four came out when, like 1978??

1977. Here's how ancient that is, in cinema terms: That was back when people thought Annie Hall was a great movie.
    It's true. In the 70's, films were primarily an adult medium. Disney had given up on animation and was making really mediocre kids movies that were hard even for kids to sit through once. Then along came Star Wars which proved kids will sit through a movie 100 times. A floundering Disney Corp awake from its slumber and took notice. Fast forward, 40 years and you can really see the extent that Star Wars gradually infantilized the movie business. When Disney finally acquired Lucasfilm, in a way, things had come full circle. Now feature length animation for children is one of the biggest segments in the market. Shitty YA dystopia films are so common that they are redundant. So many stories get least common denominatored down to make a PG-13. Back in the 70's, films like Sicario were the norm, not the exception. Thanks, George Lucas, for making film the realm of the 13 year old boy and guaranteeing that a major studio will never, ever again make a cerebral adult comedy like Annie Hall.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-26-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    and guaranteeing that a major studio will never, ever again make a cerebral adult comedy like Annie Hall.
    I figured I was going to get handed that from someone. You make a good point about the infantilization of cinema, but we'll have to agree to disagree on AH. To say it hasn't aged well is about as charitable as I can do: stilted dialog, clichéd supporting characters, and, um, one badly miscast male lead; standards have been raised since then. There's still plenty of cerebral out there, and plenty of adult-grade comedy and drama too, some of it excellent, not typically playing in the biggest hall at the multiplex, but it's there.
    Last edited by bobz; 03-26-2016 at 02:19 PM.

This has taken a funny turn, as cinema and television have switched roles from the late 70's to now. TV has taken over the role for the deeper, developed characters, better comedy, and gritty drama (outside of reality tv BS), while film has turned to campy, cliched least common denominator.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

WTF is Annie Hall? Old fucks.

I was ambivalent on Episode VII. I found it entertaining. But found myself annoyed at times at the amount it was a carbon copy of Episode IV--which I grew up watching dozens and dozens of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    WTF is Annie Hall? Old fucks.
    Well, I was a little young for Annie Hall in the theater. My parents were watching it while my little brother and I were in the theater next door taking in one of those atrocious 70's Disney films. It was probably No Deposit, No Return or maybe Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo. Hard to believe how badly Disney Studios was scraping the barrel in those days, selling a faded David Niven and Don Knotts to bored children. Kids today got no idea.

we'll have to agree to disagree on AH.
    A little slow sometimes but this scene still stands up. It would be right at home in whatever Rogen and Franco pic. I've often thought Rogen gets some of his straight man schtick from early Woody Allen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRm_X3BLPU
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-30-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Watched it again tonight. I really enjoyed the movie, brings back so many memories of the previous films and I really like the new characters.

It was good enough. I really like the sound editing for Kylo Ren. Nice way to continue the imposing intimidation factor of Vader without having to be entirely lame.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    If you prefer the original three, then fine, they’re classics, they’re great, I love the original SW too, so watch them again on Blu-Ray.
    They even took this away from us, the original trilogy still has not had a Blu-Ray or even DVD release as far as I know. Just the Greedo-shot-first/Jabba-inserted groan fest doctored versions. Have to find an old Laser Disc rip if you want to see them.
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."