Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Amazon Fire TV is kind of parallel to the Apple TV but it is super fast with 5.1 output and you get thousands of free movies with your prime membership
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Late to this party after finally getting reliable internet speeds and width. I need help with the sensory overload and the 12 step process of withdrawing from DirecTV which we've had since about the time they started.

I have a DVD player with multiple service/app options and an original AppleTV with a Netflix account and free trial with HULU. HBO at $4.99 a month for 6 months appears to be one benefit of HULU.

What's are good approaches to keep it simple, costs minimized for multiple locations and to keep the stations we are interested in, including local. One service or a la carte?

One hope is to finally have the choice of Denver stations vs Albuquerque which have been forced on us for decades.

I wired the whole house with Cat5 except a couple spots and will add the runs if needed. How far away can a wireless device be for reliable signal from a newer AppleTV?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    I have the original Roku, still works fine. If you are going this route it makes things pretty simple and it's like watching TV in the sense that you don't have to deal with hooking a laptop up. Mine streams better when it is connected via a wire instead of a wireless connection. I only use it for Netflix. My father-in-law uses some sort of Western Digital device that hooks up to a hard drive full of torrented movies.

I use Hulu to watch some shows that are aired weekly, but usually you can't get access to entire seasons of shows. I can't bring myself to pay Hulu to watch shows with commercials.

Netflix can be really hit or miss, but it's great for watching entire seasons of shows if you can wait a year for them to come out. There is an entire running thread in the Music, Books etc subforum with things to watch.

When HBO moves to streaming that is going to be a game changer.

Edit- I think my entire internet/netflix bill comes out to $38 a month.
    You can sign up to stream HBO on amazon Prime
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Not sure about local stations, but the Amazon Fire stick is pretty simple for NFLX, Hulu, Amazon Prime.

Thanks so far. A buddy called up DirecTV to cancel and they were very aggressive trying to keep him. He ended up with the basic package @ $40/month, 'local' TV and access to GO/On Demand and keeps the benefit of the DVR memory, for a year. He also uses HULU and Netflix. I'm considering the same, but want the options dialed in the event I need to stay vs leave. The wife factor, simple & familiar might require a weening period of a year or so to phase in alternatives.

Part of our costs include the DVR and 3 remote Genies which is super convenient and simple.

The other issue is streaming music. That has been a nice convenience with DirecTV. How could this be replaced?

Regarding network stations, I did a quick search the other day and was streaming Denver CBS direct from their site at no cost. Generally, is this an option via a TV device like AppleTV or something else? During the Olympics, you had to login using one of a zillion account options like DirecTV, HULU, Amazon, Infinity, etc.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    The other issue is streaming music. That has been a nice convenience with DirecTV. How could this be replaced?
    Amazon has a monthly music service for $7.99. The only band I have had trouble finding on there is Tool.

Thanks so far. A buddy called up DirecTV to cancel and they were very aggressive trying to keep him. He ended up with the basic package @ $40/month, 'local' TV and access to GO/On Demand and keeps the benefit of the DVR memory, for a year. He also uses HULU and Netflix. I'm considering the same, but want the options dialed in the event I need to stay vs leave. The wife factor, simple & familiar might require a weening period of a year or so to phase in alternatives.

Part of our costs include the DVR and 3 remote Genies which is super convenient and simple.

Regarding network stations, I did a quick search the other day and was streaming Denver CBS direct from their site at no cost. Generally, is this an option via a TV device like AppleTV or something else? During the Olympics, you had to login using one of a zillion account options like DirecTV, HULU, Amazon, Infinity, etc.
    Make sure this is in fact a month to month deal and you are NOT extending any contract (get it in writing, if they will not do that, then record the conversation..) - you do not want to lock yourself into any type of long term deal if staying with Direct TV in my opinion.

Streaming music can be sourced from many places. Amazon Prime can do that, Spotify or Pandora are out there, iHeart Radio, Google and Microsoft have services and some of the TV Streaming apps have some music channels too (Pluto TV I believe is one).
    Last edited by RShea; 04-20-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Same deal with serius radio.
    I get it for $5.
    Call once a year at renewal to cancel. Then they re-up at a discount.
    They need subscribers more than the revenue.

Dish tv did $50 for basic with 4 boxes, 1 with dvr.
    . . .

I don't have boxes anymore, I hae an antenna on my roof, Wifi and smart TV's - HAVE BEEN RETHINKIG THE SMART tv'S
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    Amazon has a monthly music service for $7.99. The only band I have had trouble finding on there is Tool.
    The standard Amazon Prime music service is free with Prime and the selection is decent. I use it a lot in my car via Apple Car Play.

Update, FWIW:

The devil is in the details.

After talking to DirecTV, they knocked $60 off per month for the same service. Removing two Genie boxes is part of the mix. Streaming is still available on multiple devices anywhere. (Not sure on Live vs older streams, yet.) This is a good step for now, I have time to phase in a couple more ethernet runs in lieu of the Genies and expand our WiFi & cellular service. Then I can phase out the satellite at any time since there are no strings attached. The person at DirecTV highly recommended that everyone periodically call in to see what new deals are available. It seems that when prompted, you mention 'cancel service', you'll get to someone motivated to 'keep you on board' and work with you. Keep pressing.

I'm not sure how new it is but DirecTV Now is their version of Hulu live streaming options with HBO and Cinemax, etc as add-ons for $5 or $8. They are currently running a promo at $25 or so off per month and/or a free Amazon Fire TV with Alexa Voice Remote or Apple TV 4K if you prepay 3 months at full price. Both offer voice control.

Interestingly, on both our Sony TV & Blu Ray, DirecTV Now or DirecTV Go are not options (they are on ApplTV) as an app, while Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, PrimeTime and many others are. I asked the DTV rep and she said it has to do with contracts. I know Sony is super proprietary so I expect other Smart TV manufacturers might include the DirecTV Now & DirecTV Go??? Anyone? This would negate the need for one of the devices for streaming if it was included with the TV. You of course, can connect a computer to a TV and stream.

Pandora & Sirius are inclusive apps as are other music options.

Smart Phone apps:
    The AppleTV app is by far easier than using the remote, especially on older AppleTV generations. The touch screen option is very useful. I'm not sure about Gen 4.
    DirectTV and Sony TV apps are available, too. (Not sue on Blu-Ray yet.) One issue on the remotes is no backlighting, so the phone apps are easier to see in low light.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Update, FWIW:

Interestingly, on both our Sony TV & Blu Ray, DirecTV Now or DirecTV Go are not options (they are on ApplTV) as an app, while Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, PrimeTime and many others are. I asked the DTV rep and she said it has to do with contracts. I know Sony is super proprietary so I expect other Smart TV manufacturers might include the DirecTV Now & DirecTV Go??? Anyone? This would negate the need for one of the devices for streaming if it was included with the TV. You of course, can connect a computer to a TV and stream.
    DirecTV Now hasn't done a deal with Sony and hasn't done the work to integrate on their platform yet. My educated guess is that Sony wants to do that deal, but DirecTV hasn't focused on Smart TVs except for the ones that run Amazon's OS, and if they do, they'll probably start at the top (Samsung, LG) and work their way down. I think the only live OTT streaming service that has launched on Sony is Hulu Live. Sony aint what it used to be.

Update, FWIW:

The devil is in the details.

After talking to DirecTV, they knocked $60 off per month for the same service. Removing two Genie boxes is part of the mix. Streaming is still available on multiple devices anywhere. (Not sure on Live vs older streams, yet.) This is a good step for now, I have time to phase in a couple more ethernet runs in lieu of the Genies and expand our WiFi & cellular service. Then I can phase out the satellite at any time since there are no strings attached. The person at DirecTV highly recommended that everyone periodically call in to see what new deals are available. It seems that when prompted, you mention 'cancel service', you'll get to someone motivated to 'keep you on board' and work with you. Keep pressing.

I'm not sure how new it is but DirecTV Now is their version of Hulu live streaming options with HBO and Cinemax, etc as add-ons for $5 or $8. They are currently running a promo at $25 or so off per month and/or a free Amazon Fire TV with Alexa Voice Remote or Apple TV 4K if you prepay 3 months at full price. Both offer voice control.

Pandora & Sirius are inclusive apps as are other music options.

Smart Phone apps:
    The AppleTV app is by far easier than using the remote, especially on older AppleTV generations. The touch screen option is very useful. I'm not sure about Gen 4.
    DirectTV and Sony TV apps are available, too. (Not sue on Blu-Ray yet.) One issue on the remotes is no backlighting, so the phone apps are easier to see in low light.
    Why worry if the DirectTV Go or DirectTV Now app is available on the TV (since there are so many Smart TV's and interfaces from different companies)? Just get one of the sticks out there Roku or Amazon for under $50 and do not worry about replacing the TV... Unless you have no HDMI ports open on the TV (and a few of the sticks can plug into the older composite video RCA type jacks- but that is typically at a lower resolution and should be last resort in that case.

And there are some remotes that do have backlighting. I have a Samsung remote that gets the buttons backlit...

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    DirecTV Now hasn't done a deal with Sony and hasn't done the work to integrate on their platform yet. My educated guess is that Sony wants to do that deal, but DirecTV hasn't focused on Smart TVs except for the ones that run Amazon's OS, and if they do, they'll probably start at the top (Samsung, LG) and work their way down. I think the only live OTT streaming service that has launched on Sony is Hulu Live. Sony aint what it used to be.
    Sony has their Playstation Vue streaming service and it is a direct competitor to DirectTV Now.... So that maybe part of the corporate culture of the 2 companies offerings also.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Sony has their Playstation Vue streaming service and it is a direct competitor to DirectTV Now.... So that maybe part of the corporate culture of the 2 companies offerings also.
    You're right about overall corporate strategies impacting DTV's ability to launch on Sony's gaming consoles, but the Smart TV group is separate and distinct.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    You're right about overall corporate strategies impacting DTV's ability to launch on Sony's gaming consoles, but the Smart TV group is separate and distinct.
    Sony Playstation Vue is not just on the gaming console. I think it is a dumb name because many thing you must have a Playstation box, and it maybe the same division that does the gaming, but Vue can be used on many streaming devices: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ne...ported-devices. So still no inside knowledge but just like Amazon and Google are not always playing nice with their apps and devices due to the competitive factors, could be the same with AT&T and Sony. Most of the newest Sony TV's are actually Android TV's and so tied into Google Play Store for apps also.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Why worry if the DirectTV Go or DirectTV Now app is available on the TV (since there are so many Smart TV's and interfaces from different companies)? Just get one of the sticks out there Roku or Amazon for under $50 and do not worry about replacing the TV... Unless you have no HDMI ports open on the TV (and a few of the sticks can plug into the older composite video RCA type jacks- but that is typically at a lower resolution and should be last resort in that case.
    I'm not worried. My AppleTV will work if needed. Just making observation for others going down this rabbit hole. If Sony decides to add the DirecTV apps to their interface, could/would that be done with a firmware upgrade on older units?

Other issues come to light like extracting and running audio through an antiquated sound system and/or splitting to a TV in another room. It might be time for an AV receiver vs a series of an HDMI spitter and an extractor, depending on your streaming device or set up.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

If Sony decides to add the DirecTV apps to their interface, could/would that be done with a firmware upgrade on older units?
    Definitely could be. And actually the newest Sony smart TVs run on the Android TV platform, so DirecTV could get an app certified for the Android TV app store and it would appear on those TVs and a bunch of other devices as well.