Big Memory Card Advice - D3300

For work, I have been tasked with video recording meetings. Long, boring meetings.

They gave me a D3300 and I need to be able to record video for up to 4 hours, not less than 2 hours.

I need advice on memory cards, camera settings, etc. that will be helpful to prolong the recording time as cost effectively as possible.

Assume I know nothing. I've read (skimmed) the manual.

1080p, 30 fps, 1/60th shutter speed. adjust ISO/ap for light conditions. get a external mic (if u need better sound)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Solutions...=1417032831627

I'm not sure of the Nikons, but DSLR's have video recording limits. Canons used to be 12 minutes of continuous recording. Now they are 30 minutes. When I have to record long ass meetings I use a real video specific camera, not our dslr's. It's too much of a hassle to watch over it and try to stop/start recording in long enough clips to maximize the record time with the fewest amount of clips and not try to cut anyone off while starting/stopping.

Seriously, a DSLR is a horrible idea for this type of work.

We use a mix of Canon xf100's and 200s when we need a 'cheap' video specific camera. We've even used little handycams for small meeting rooms.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

What's the video for? 1080p might be unnecessary... considering it's just a meeting, I feel like the sound is more important than the video...

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    What's the video for? 1080p might be unnecessary... considering it's just a meeting, I feel like the sound is more important than the video...
    Personally, we shoot everything in 1080 regardless of the delivery, but cut most in 720. Gives you latitude to punch in and do a little reframing without reducing quality up. When we want to save on size/quality, we reduce the bitrate from 50 to 35. That saves a good amount of space with little noticeable loss in quality except in real low light. Honestly, storage is so ridiculously cheap nowadays, shoot in the best quality you got. You can always reduce, but uprezing if needed sucks. I know it's a meeting, but still.

If your company is too cheap to buy a bunch of big cards, tell them video isn't for them and they should install webcams.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    I am considering recording audio only. They are planning and zoning, county commission, meetings etc. Like I said, boring.

Live webcams might be a great idea. Handycam is a great idea. I need the ability to post these to our website.

We use this awful software called focus vision for recording real lengthy web chats. You can have tons of members log in and communicate via webcams brady buynch style. You can trim the videos right in the software and spit them out. I think they offer a transcription service.

I hate it because it spits out 3 hours long WMVs which is unwieldy to use but it could be something beneficial for you guys. Maybe look into it? I know there are tons of other software that do this, but have the software make it web ready direct from the cameras could be beneficial. We usually have to edit them so the convenience of them being web ready is lost on us.

We also use gotomeeting for assessing meetings from a far, but I don't know if they have record functionality.

Good luck... I hate when I'm tasked with recording stupid longass meetings that usually get a handful of views.