Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks TahoeJ. There arent many of my own photos that I like to look at as repeatedly as the job requires, but that one appeals to me too.
    Here's some "walking" from today. Big improvements from a few weeks ago but I'm definitely a long, long way from jogging up stairs.

Progress is being made, awesome!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

impressive recovery. way to push it. small consolation but your not missing much this yr. looks like you'll b shreddin when it dumps next season

agreed! really impressive and very exciting. each step is another step closer to where you want to be.

Best of luck with your recovery Gnarwhale. Based on the walking in that video, I think you're on your way back and it's just a matter of time. Just need to retrain the muscles, retrain the whole body, but it can be done and you seem very strong mentally--that's key. You can do it man!

Keep going, buddy! Pretty soon you're going to be able to climb harder than Brendan.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

A couple years ago I donated this woodblock print to a fundraiser for the Utah Avalanche Center. So it feels like a Twilight Zone twist that the UAC is hosting a raffle and auction for my benefit this Thursday night at the Snowbird speaker series. I was scheduled to speak tomorrow night, but since i broke myself off, a cast of characters including Andrew McLean, Noah Howell, Forrest McCarthy, Kalen Thorien, and Brendan Leonard are going to speak about trips we did together.
    Here's details.

Gnarwhale, just saw something you posted on Instagram about being at the base of the Bird and looking up, so I figured I'd check in here and see how the recovery goes.

Slowly but surely. Keep the chin up man. Looks like you're making solid progress. And you're definitely not missing much this season. Pretty rough around most of the west. I missed the epic 2010 and 2011 seasons (among others) here in CA with a serious longterm leg injury. It gets better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I hope all is going well. Any updates?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Best wishes dude..hope to see ya On Mountain again ...I'm close to the end of my insufferable condition ,if this wicked ulcer can heal -anything can.. . > it is kinda trippy how sport injuries bring back some awesome memories from that sport, while ya are recovering... I actually been out from a slow speed nasty calf tear as well that is bout healed(wow that takes a while to heal when you feel the muscle go 'pop') They are great with spinal stuff now ; Good Luck and Best wishes from utard and everywhere.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Thanks for the vibes Barron and VT-F. Shoot Baron, sounds like your winter was almost as much of a bummer as mine! Your right that not being able to go do stuff brings up lots of fond memories of back when I could go do stuff.

I started walking with forearm crutches a couple weeks ago. https://instagram.com/p/0Joa3lwAGM/
    Since then, the pace of strength returning has started to pick up. It's kind of a positive feedback loop where more time on my feet means its easier to spend more time on my feet.

Last week I tried walking up stairs normal-style, though I still have a really hard time lifting my right leg up high enough. https://instagram.com/p/0s1OxXwADs/

I've been drawing some.

Last weekend I went to Moab. It was the first time in the 120ish days since I got hurt that I walked on dirt and rocks. It felt great to absorb some UV's and watch the sun set over red rocks. https://instagram.com/p/0yTNxKQAPY/

good to here this news. glad to see you making solid progress. Next trip you do when you come through Cordova you better look me up.
    off your knees Louie

Sounds great! I like that cabin picture, looks cozy. Really glad you got your feet on dirt.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Great piece by Brendan Leonard. Keep up the hard work, Gnarwhale--sounds like things continue to improve!

http://semi-rad.com/2015/06/finding-a-way/

Keep up the hard work Gnarwhale. Your story is inspiring as hell and we're rooting for ya!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Let's Bring the Gnarwhale Home fundraiser-

Hey Jim- glad your rehab/PT is going well.
    Last edited by tele.savalas; 08-01-2015 at 08:36 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Its been 11 months since my spine injury and probably about a year since I last rode a mountain bike. I dont have the right ankle control to keep that foot positioned on a pedal and I was pretty sure I'd take some falls while trying to put a foot down when stopping. Today felt like a good day to try and this wet, goose-poopy field seemed like a softish landing for the inevitable fall. 30 minutes later I was granny-gearing up hills and then flying back down. It all went better than I'd expected, but my track standing still needs work.

GOOD ON YOU, BRAH!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Excellent!

Wow, way to go. Hope it all keeps getting better.
    [quote][//quote]

very happy for you and I know you earned it! keep bringing the stoke!!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Wow, way to go. Hope it all keeps getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    very happy for you and I know you earned it! keep bringing the stoke!!
    This.

huge props to you bro, killin it. long road, but your showing what determination can bring. keep bringing the stoke and fast road to full recovery.

awesome.

Your track stand is much better than mine! Good work and keep on keeping on-