Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPDX View Post
    A bump on a thread that should be made "sticky" by TGR with a link on the Community front page.
    Great idea!

Glad to hear he's back in the states, And in very competent hands for his upcoming operation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Great idea! Glad to hear he's back in the states, And in very competent hands for his upcoming operation.
    Good on TGR making it sticky but some spot on front page would be right thing to do. We look at all the TGR movies similar to what Harris makes but Harris injury shows there's a risk and reality to our viewing pleasure and something TGR makes a living from so they should be way ahead on helping those who pay the price.

Good on TGR making it sticky but some spot on front page would be right thing to do. We look at all the TGR movies similar to what Harris makes but Harris injury shows there's a risk and reality to our viewing pleasure and something TGR makes a living from so they should be way ahead on helping those who pay the price.
    Been out of touch in the desert for a few days but will be looking into it when I'm back in the office tomorrow and see what kind of homepage/social love we can put together...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Been out of touch in the desert for a few days but will be looking into it when I'm back in the office tomorrow and see what kind of homepage/social love we can put together...
    Outstanding.

Maybe a little counter with a link to this thread on main page also keeping touch as I'm betting the medical bills will be way past $100K and match the counter with the incoming medical bills.
    Last edited by EaglesPDX; 11-30-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Today's the Gnarwhale's birthday! And surgery day, here's to a good outcome!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Happy b-day, Gnarwhale... hope surgery is going well

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Today's the Gnarwhale's birthday! And surgery day, here's to a good outcome!!
    Absolutely
    watch out for snakes

Hope it's going well Jim, socializing this one in an hour!! https://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...arris-recovery
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Hope it's going well Jim, socializing this one in an hour!! https://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...arris-recovery
    Nice work on the story and placement.

my humble offering done. HBD dude. you're definitely a healer. get well quick

Nice front page story.

Happy birthday and heal fast.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Happy birthday, Gnarwhale.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10846107_10154826482350123_414562831832565704_n.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	161011

For the non-Facebookers... I am sure it is only a matter of time before The Gnarwhale returns. He is a little busy being the ambassador for the hospital and getting fitted for his body brace...

"Yesterday morning the surgeons here at University of Cincinnati Medical Center decompressed two of my vertebra before fusing them to their neighbors. I have eight other vertebra that are fractured, but that will heal on their own.

After a week in Chilean hospitals and a tough day of med jets flights home, it feels really good to be on the recovering half of the equation now.

It might take a year or more before I'm skiing and hiking again, but the prognosis for making a comeback is good. I bet it will be a beautiful, frustrating process to relearn how to edge skis or bike tires through a turn.

The care, love, and support that you all have directed my way has been overwhelming! I'm indebted especially to my parents and brother, but the list of people who've written, called, visited, and donated to the fund that Kyle set up is huuugge and that love and support has meant more to me than I could ever articulate in a facebook post. Thank you! - Jim Harris"

thanks for the update, great news on the surgery and the overall outcome, best wishes going forward and heal well!

FKNA that is good news

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Great news to start the day, seems a birthday wish come true!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Let's Bring the Gnarwhale Home fundraiser-

I keep writing updates in the TGR app only to have them disappear when I click out of the app. Not sure if it's a dev flaw or if I suck at phone posting. So in lieu of rewriting a 3rd time, here's updates my pops wrote about me yesterday and today.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Jim had a big birthday yesterday that began with surgery and ended with a spa treatment and celebratory chocolate shake in the ICU. My sister Hawley commented that Jim spent the day in the hospital 33 years ago and that turned out pretty well so it would likely happen again.

We were able to see Jim and meet most of his surgery team about 6:30 a.m. EST. While we were there, they tested his sensory levels in his legs, which is slight, and went though a battery of routine questions about his health. Jim joked that having his vertebrae decompressed was a wonderful birthday present. At 7:00 a.m., his team began prepping him for surgery and at 8:30 a.m., we received word that the anesthesia had done its job. We were told that the surgery could take upwards of 10 hours and involve going through the back and possibly the front as well if full access to the spinal cord was necessary.

At 11:30 a.m., we got word that the team was closing him up. The shortness of the 3 ½ hour procedure is a positive sign. An hour later, we met briefly with neurosurgeon Dr. Charlie Kuntz IV, who performed the reconstruction, while Jim was in post-op recovery.

Dr. Kuntz was cautious, but hopeful in framing Jim’s prognosis. The damage was extensive. Vertebrae T6 and T7 were compressed requiring pins and rods that connect to other vertebrae for support. What we also learned was that vertebrae T2, T3, T4, and T5 were also fractured and would likely heal on their own with the help of a TLSO (Thoraco-Lumbo-Sacral-Orthosis) or turtle shell brace. The two fractured vertebrae in Jim’s neck have been immobilized for a nearly a week with a “Philadelphia” collar or neck brace. The edemas from the accident and the surgery are putting pressure on Jim’s spinal cord in the short term, possibly playing a part in the paralysis. Because rehabilitation is as important (some say more) as the surgery, we may not know how far Jim will go with his recovery for months, but as we all know, you’re a fool to bet against him.

Jim was moved to the surgical ICU at 4:00 p.m. The anesthesia was wearing off and his nursing team worked to get him transitioned to pain meds to stay ahead of the pain curve. For a while, Jim felt that the meds could not get into his bloodstream fast enough.

Jim’s nursing team also gave him a hospital style spa treatment, which included a shampoo, rinse, shave (the nurse thought he look better with the mustache), and serenade, as shown in the photo. Jim may go with the mani and pedi this morning. We were able to bring in a chocolate shake for Jim’s birthday treat. Because Jim is somewhat of a celebrity in the hospital due to the local news coverage of his evacuation problems, he is receiving plenty of attention. Also in the photo is Mary Pat showing Jim and the nurses the video Forrest McCarthy and his wife Amy created of some of Jim’s recent adventures and posted on Facebook. Shortly thereafter, Kyle and Jim had a little FaceTime and we were able sing “Happy Birthday” to Jim.

Today or tomorrow, Jim will be fitted for his TLSO, moved to a neurological hospital room, and work on getting his edema to diminish. Jim is texting and receiving calls on his iPhone and will likely begin providing his own updates once he able to sit upright and use a full keyboard and we will be semi-retiring as reporters.

Thank you for your continued support. It’s already making a huge difference in Jim’s recovery so please don’t let up.
    Last edited by The Gnarwhale; 12-03-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Let's Bring the Gnarwhale Home fundraiser-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1417613839.508947.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	161022Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Jim is continuing his post-op recovery in ICU. He had a comparatively quiet day given the events of the last nine days. He is in good spirits overall, but uncomfortable with pain from time to time. Jim is becoming more involved in the decisions of his recovery, asking questions of the nurses and doctors, requesting changes to his pain medicine and how it is administered, and requesting food from home. We’re not sure if that is a compliment of Harris cooking or a criticism of hospital food. Most likely the latter.

We spent the day with him and had discussions with social workers and other doctors who are helping us to try to map out Jim’s pathway to recovery. Late in the afternoon, Jim was measured for a brace (thoracic-lumbar-sacral orthosis: TLSO) for his torso, which is like being fitted for a suit coat while lying in a hospital bed. Jim traded in his Chilean “Philadelphia” cervical collar for a U.S. “Miami” cervical collar, which is expected to be more comfortable. Once Jim receives his TLSO, he can begin to sit up and do much more than he can now while flat on his back. Even a Kindle is a problem now. He does have his iPhone, which he is using throughout the day.

In the early evening, Allison Schwam from Park City and Heather Wiley Fornataro of Crested Butte arrived in Cincinnati to visit with Jim who was happy to see them. Allison and Heather brought Jim food, music, reading material, and a bit of a party spirit to liven up his room while in recovery.

Today Jim will likely move from ICU to a different wing of the neurological hospital rooms, just down the hallway from where Jim is now. Our forecast is that it will be an uneventful day as his post-op recovery continues.

Jim’s medical staff at University Hospital has been exceptional from the moment he entered the emergency room in the middle of the night on Sunday. All of us with Jim are impressed by the width and breadth of care he is receiving. Our confidence level is high right now.

As always, thank you for cranking up the volume to 11 on your support for Jim. Please keep it up.

Please forward this message to your friends and family who are following Jim’s progress.

Love,

Mary Pat & Jeff
    Last edited by The Gnarwhale; 12-03-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Yeah GnarWhale!!! Great to hear man. Will update the homepage post with this info; thanks for reposting. Just got around to the you caring donation this am, hope it helps.

For the TLSO make sure they give you those tight stretchy undershirts or otherwise the chafing can get pretty bad in those. It'll do wonders for your posture though! . Excited to hear more good news!

Heal up quick Gnarwhale! Hit up the donate page and it looks like you've got shitoads of support. Fight!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I wish you continued succes and luck in your recovery. Thoughts and prayers.

Bump for Schralp visibility

Still not at $100K. I'm guessing the surgery alone was over $100K.

Still a bit short of the $100K goal...be nice to make it by New Years...start what is going to be a long year off right.

For those who had similar injury when did they get sensation and some muscle control back in their legs?

Still a bit short of the $100K goal...be nice to make it by New Years...start what is going to be a long year off right.

For those who had similar injury when did they get sensation and some muscle control back in their legs?
    I'm an incomplete SCI from an illness when I was a kid. It is different for each person and it is wait and see... followed by a lot of recovery and rehab work. Pretty common that improvements can continue for a year or two though.

Gnarwhale. Hang in there. Life will get better. For now you are working on Gnarwhale v2.0. You just have a new type of mountain to climb right now.