Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Just trying to get caught up to speed here. Can I donate a gear sale? I have the 190 squaretail exploders I got for the Gripen recovery fund and the best I can do with all this shitty news is pass the deal on (and rip Gripen).
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPDX View Post
    Still a bit short of the $100K goal...be nice to make it by New Years...start what is going to be a long year off right.

For those who had similar injury when did they get sensation and some muscle control back in their legs?
    Had "most" of the improvement in the first year or so, but honestly, I. The 10 years following, it's gotten better literally every single year. Not necessarily feeling sensation or function in zapped nerve roots, but have found every year less pain, more mobility, strength, balance, and capability. I have a feeling it's just time spent getting stronger, being smarter about treating the body (more yoga/core/regular activity), and I think too the body adjusting.

But I thought I had the improvements I would hve for life at year two, but it's been a totally surprise to me to see where I've gotten more recently, years and years later.

RIP Gripen. I'm sorry I never covered your recovery.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

The Gnarwhale was just a dude who loved to play in the outdoors in 09. Then he posted here about his trek across AK's Wrangell. An epic post it was. All-time.

Now he's "One of the country's most promising young adventure photographers and writers ..."
    Truth.

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

http://www.cincinnati.com/longform/n...back/20481997/

"A personal backpacking trip to Alaska in 2009 launched his career as an adventure photographer and writer.
    Harris and a few others went on a 33-day backpacking excursion to Wrangell Mountains in Alaska, the largest area managed by the U.S. National Park Service.
    When he got back, he posted photos and details of their trip on a skiing message board. The post went viral."

Nice write-up. They put it in the cover too.

Heal up Jim. We need your work.
    On first

That was indeed one awesome TR...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by quienes? View Post
    Nice story and they've raised over the $100K for medical expenses. Cool that Harris can move his toes and lift his leg.

Seriously. Immaculate blue gen Explosives. I bought them for the Gripen Fundraiser and skied them maybe a handful of times.
    Deal is the same: $100 total. Reimburse me for the shipping and pay the difference toward the fundraser.
    Blue. Square tail. Long. A real 190. Bindings are totally maxed at 315, so for safety's sake, it's not really doable unless you're groomer bombing.
    Picks and all if anyone wants to do this.
    No longer stuck.

Nice story and they've raised over the $100K for medical expenses. Cool that Harris can move his toes and lift his leg.
    ^^ agreed. stoked he can move his toes and leg and that 100k has been raised.

Toes. That's gotta mean something very good, right?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    ^^ agreed. stoked he can move his toes and leg and that 100k has been raised.
    Nice to see he's on his way. Did Jim not have health insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    Nice to see he's on his way. Did Jim not have health insurance?
    Just insurance for the medical ride back to the states. Apparently no other health insurance.

Wow - I just now saw this after a while out of the forums. Very sad news, but glad to hear that he can move his toes and leg. I always have appreciated Jim's TRs, in particular that AK hiking TR (which I personally view as the best TR ever posted on TGR).

No, I didnt have standard US Healthcare when I had the accident. I did have Global Rescue coverage for the three of us that included SAR, medical, and evac insurance. That's what paid for my hospital stay in Chile and eventual 9000 mile, 5-leg med jet flight back to the USA.

Last year I applied to obamacare in Ut a couple times but got denied because the ACA thought I should qualify for Medicaid. So i looked into that, but the threshold for that is crazy low, like $10k income per year or something. I'm still firmly in dirtbag ski bum tax bracket, but I at least do better than that. So after going in circles between ACA and Medicaid, I threw up my hands and got some cheap, high deductible accident coverage in case I ended up in ER with an exploded knee or something.

When I was admitted to the hospital in Ohio, I applied for and was granted OH Medicaid because a) I'm now disabled b) I now have no income. In theory that should cover my surgery and December bills. In the mean time I reapplied for ACA coverage directly through an insurance provider and found that, by declining to report my income, I qualified and was granted coverage for a premium benefit (but high price) plan.

One reason I chose the plan I did is that is should cover 60 days of rehab at Craig Hospital in Denver, which is widely regarded as one of the best spine trauma rehabilitation centers in the world. As soon as I'm cleared to, I plan to transfer to Denver for a couple months of PT.

In the mean time, I'm still getting tiny bits of sensation and motor control back each day. I can move my left foot and leg, I have touch sensation everywhere on my right leg and foot where until 2 weeks ago I had none. And I can piss into a jar all by myself, which is enormously better than having big jolly black women shove tubes down my dick hole six times per day.

Right now there's debate between Craig Hospital, who says I should be starting physical therapy ASAP, and the surgeon, who would like me to have 2 - 3 months of bed rest, about what's best for my recovery. It's been frustrating to hear one set of experts saying I wont get better unless I start moving while the other camp of experts say I risk never getting better if I do. So the date when I transfer from Cincinnati to Denver is still up in the air while the Dr's compare notes.

After 26 days in a bed, staring at the ceiling, I'm ready to start doing something, anything. Supposedly Monday is the day they'll let me sit up for the first time, then baby steps towards learning to get into a wheelchair. I cant wait for the chance to just roll around the halls or maybe go outside and catch a few minutes of greybird December-in-the-midwest scenery.

Good news indeed.
    watch out for snakes

I just said I met the mini for aca plan coverage. Montana didn't expand Medicaid. Might get hammered on taxes, idk. Would still be worth it. YOLO!
    Glad you had some insurance.
    You'll be walking soon!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    In the mean time I reapplied for ACA coverage directly through an insurance provider and found that, by declining to report my income, I qualified and was granted coverage for a premium benefit (but high price) plan.
    So what is monthly cost and total out of pocket on the coverage you got? Besides the Global Rescue insurance, what medical coverage package would you put together when you go back to Chile.

Craig Hospital, who says I should be starting physical therapy ASAP, and the surgeon, who would like me to have 2 - 3 months of bed rest into a wheelchair. I cant wait for the chance to just roll around the halls or maybe go outside and catch a few minutes of greybird December-in-the-midwest scenery.
    60-90 days to let all bones heal doesn't sound unreasonable, spine gets a LOT of leverage on it, but PT a person can do while not weight bearing sounds doable. I wonder if the medics are really disagreeing that much? Go for a tie breaker and get a third rehab opinion from somebody both medics have confidence in as go to source.

Good luck getting better! Not having something shoved up your fuck is always a plus. Good luck with recovery.

It doesn't seem like your thing but I have a few friends who got into video games while stuck in the hospital. They said they liked the chance to get sucked into another world. Steam has a winter sale you can get some games for very little money. https://store.steampowered.com/

Very happy to get the new Powder in my box yesterday, even happier to see a big photo by Jim.

Bump.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Very happy to get the new Powder in my box yesterday, even happier to see a big photo by Jim.
    Dude!!! That was a KILLER photo by Harris. Best of the lot really as it draws the viewer down into the couloir.

So what is monthly cost and total out of pocket on the coverage you got? Besides the Global Rescue insurance, what medical coverage package would you put together when you go back to Chile.
    I'm not sure what's offered as far as in-country Chilean insurance goes. GEOS offeres global SAR, med, evac insurance for like $130/year, but I think there's an elevation limit (below 5000m or something).

60-90 days to let all bones heal doesn't sound unreasonable, spine gets a LOT of leverage on it, but PT a person can do while not weight bearing sounds doable. I wonder if the medics are really disagreeing that much? Go for a tie breaker and get a third rehab opinion from somebody both medics have confidence in as go to source.
    Yeah, I agree that they're probably not as dissenting as it seems on the surface. At least I hope not. The next step is for the rehab docs to talk on the phone with the surgeon. If they still dont see eye to eye after that, then it's time for 3rd and 4th opinions, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    It doesn't seem like your thing but I have a few friends who got into video games while stuck in the hospital.
    Funny timing, I just hit the quit button after a few hours of playing Civ 5. I'm not a big gamer, but I've been playing Civ since it was on five floppy discs and it's still my airport layover time killer. I can still get sucked right into the slow nerdy gameplay. Last night I was talking with Midget and he was like "Do you game? Have you ever played Call of Duty?" The result of that conversation was that I started a new Civ game today.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Very happy to get the new Powder in my box yesterday, even happier to see a big photo by Jim. .
    Thanks. I'm psyched to see it. There's not many un-named chutes in the Wasatch, but I think that pic is one of them.

I'm not sure what's offered as far as in-country Chilean insurance goes. GEOS offeres global SAR, med, evac insurance for like $130/year, but I think there's an elevation limit (below 5000m or something).
    Meant what US health coverage would you get knowing what you know now. The Global Rescue sounds right for immediate care and getting back to US. It's US the insurance for your current needs which is pretty much worst case scenario for going overseas.

What US med package would be best to get in addition to Global Rescue when heading out on an overseas adventure?

I am 0% health care expert, so I have no advice about what health care package that someone should have. If you're planning to get hurt, get a really good one, I guess.

My dad wrote an update about my injury, recovery, and some of the people who have made this hospital stay bearable. Here's that facebook post.

So happy to see the progress mang. Great article in the hometown paper.
    But be honest here - you're among friends. Aren't you just a little sad that BBBWs are no longer cathaterizing you? You were having sexy nurse fantasies, weren't you? NTTAWWT

Heal up and Happy Holidays.

Bahaha! If BBBW nurses, and/or sounding were my bag, I'd have been in freakin freak heaven. For better or worse, having tubes shoved down my urethra just doesn't jingle my bells. Probably for the better. Turns out UTI's arent fun at all and I have a newfound sympathy for women who have to deal with them semi-regularly.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    merry xmass continued healing and positivity thoughts prayres and blessings sent your way from my clan
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno