Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    https://www.facebook.com/MrJimHarris...6144876365123/
    It feels like my legs were bolted on from Pinocchio and my brain is the puppet master: left, right, left, right. But walking without walker, crutches or ski poles is like "I got no strings to hold me down..."

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Adski View Post
    Good work and keep on keeping on-
    askin wwcmd is never usually a bad call

stoked 4 u
    and your continued drive and progress
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    stoked 4 u
    and your continued drive and progress
    +1, best wishes on your journey GnarW.

Saw bootleg underground footage of Gnarwhale skiing at Park City today!! Woot!!!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

So my friend hit up Vail marketing folks to see if she could shoot a bit for the news of me bunnysloping at PCMR but they told her to get lost. I'm no PR pro, but that's hilarious to turn down a softball news human interest story like this one. So, we went to Alta, where I'm more at home anyway.

Connie and Joe handed me an Alta season pass (!!!) which I put to use by riding laps on the transfer tow 8 degree gnar. I've never skied so many laps for so little vert, but it sure beats lying in a hospital bed. Getting back up Wildcat has been a dangling carrot in my mind since I first started wiggling my toes, but now I've got even one less excuse. Got lots of high fives from the local bros and even a visit from heathen splitboarding friends after they finished a tour. Thanks Alta and the LCC family for a stellar day!

Edit: There'll be a news piece of me blubberin and making shitty pizza-frenchfry turns Tuesday night on ABC 4 in SLC and on http://www.good4utah.com/ for anyone who's not Utarded.
    Last edited by The Gnarwhale; 11-23-2015 at 06:25 PM.

that kicks so much ass, way to get!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Shit yeah buddy! Thanks.
    For showing us bitches - just get er done. Impressive man, keep up the amazing work and stoke and attitude.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

https://www.facebook.com/abc4utah/vi...3445333839160/
    http://www.good4utah.com/news/local-...al-cord-injury

ALTA, Utah (ABC 4 News)

Triumph over tragedy. The story of professional ski photographer, Jim Harris is nothing short of amazing. Exactly one year after a serious ski accident, Good4Utah is there to see Jim accomplish what some thought was impossible.

We’re at Alta Ski Area, where for Jim Harris, getting down the bunny slope will be both a challenge and a major goal attained.

"It may just be straight line to crater. Pretty good chance that's also how it's going to go," Jim laughed.

To understand why, we have to go back exactly one year. On November 24, 2014, Harris got into an accident while kite skiing in Chile. The accident left him paralyzed from the waist down. He was flown to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he went through hours of grueling surgery on his vertebrae. Jim did not know what the future would hold. But he knew he was going to fight. He immediately set five goals for recovery.

"And so my first goal was getting from Cincinnati to Craig Hospital," he said.

Craig Hospital in Denver specializes in exercise based rehab. It's known as one of the best in the nation.

"So in my case they put me in a harness and put me on a treadmill and people would hold my legs and move my legs for me on this treadmill for an hour a day every day for months," Jim said.

It was painstaking work, but it got Jim to his next milestone.

"My second goal after that was to learn to be able to stand up from a wheelchair and balance without having to hold on to things," he said.

He reached that milestone just a few months into recovery. Not long after, his third goal of walking without a walker was met.

"And my fourth goal was living independently," he explained.

This summer, Jim left Craig Hospital and went to the High Fives Foundation in California where he continued physical therapy all on his own.

"So that was kind of my first transition back to having to do all my own grocery shopping and laundry and all of the kind of like really mundane adult stuff and driving myself around," Harris said.

That experience of independence got him to his final goal. Exactly one year after his accident, Jim went skiing.

"And my fifth goal, was um, was this,” he said, tearfully.

He shared happy tears and powder turns with the friends and family who have helped him through this year-long journey. They’re also the people who will be there for Jim he continues his adventure.

Jim says, now that he's achieved his first five goals, he's setting another round of milestones for year two. If skiing more is one of them, he'll definitely be able to do that at Alta Ski Area. They gave him a complementary V.I.P. pass for the entire season.

Great news mang. So happy you are able to get after it again.
    Looking forward to hearing about new milestones achieved!
    Happy Thanksgiving

Edit to Add - #FuckVail

Saw the news clip on my Facebook. Amazing!

fkna!
    that's great.
    happy thanksgiving
    crab in my shoe mouth

FKNA!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

hell yeah. that is awesome!

So great to see you on snow! Keep up the great progress!!

Ride #5: We started out trying to ride Dinoflow, but the rocky little uphills were too much for my cripple legs. Nick generously traded bikes since being on a single speed was just making it even harder for me. NVD's a dude who likes dirtjumping on vintage rigid mtbs, so I figured he'd be fine on my old bike. I, on the other hand, upgraded to a carbon-everything Bronson and pedaled my way into bike envy.

The hardest part of biking isn't the actual pedaling but getting on, off, and repositioning my right foot on the pedal. I used to push off with my right leg while starting to pedal with left, but now I've been trying to get right foot squared up first and getting going that way is a pain. The muscles that make it difficult getting my foot on are the same ones keeping me from turning a ski with that leg, so it seems like those muscles'll have to get stronger before I can schuss or pedal blue square ski and bike trails.

In the mean time, it's so so SO nice to be on the move outside. The past twelve months I've had a dearth of nature time and spending the last couple days outside felt amazing.

only jim harris could have done what you've done.

i knew it, i fucking know it.

i felt it,

the feeling, not the fabric.

Stoked for you Jim!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Fucking awesome. Great rehab and spirit!
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Medic50 Guest
    So...I'm new here and I'm 99.99991% certain you don't know me, but I just read through 7 pages of your story. Man, this is why I moved over 1,100 miles and across 4.5 states when I was 18 just to work at Alta. Just to be a bitch and cut some snow into smooth (occasionally) ramps so people didn't somehow mangle themselves getting off the lift. After 12 years I still sit and reminisce about sitting in the shack atop Collins (when it was only halfway up) early morning, drinking Chai I stole from one of the various eateries enroute to my assigned post for the day, and watched patrol blast. I remember certain employees giving me the scoop on where the best places to burn one were located. But, reading these pages is exactly why I picked Alta. Everybody comes together to help each other out. Selflessness. As a medic and somebody that gives tirelessly to the public, the majority of which I know will not be able to pay a single red penny toward the debt they are accruing by calling 911, I am so glad to see the recovery process. I'm glad for having been able to read your story and instead of Jackson Hole I may have to put that aside for the second vacation I'll take as an adult paying my own way in lieu of taking it back to where I really found my home mountain. Adopted or not, I'm claiming that shit.

Great work Jim, maybe I'll see you cutting some lines in February!

So, what's the .00009% possibility we know each other? Yeah, Alta is a good scene and there's a lot of good people running it. I'll be back in the end of Feb for a UAJ/Snowbird speaker series event. Here's the poster.

Medic50 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    So, what's the .00009% possibility we know each other? Yeah, Alta is a good scene and there's a lot of good people running it. I'll be back in the end of Feb for a UAJ/Snowbird speaker series event. Here's the poster.
    Yeah that .00009% chance is that we have happened to have crossed paths back in 2003ish when I worked there lol.

what a great story!
    "Can't you see..."

Hell Yeah is absolutely right. Well done! Happy Holidays

No fair making me cry on Christmas day. Great to see your hard work and perseverance have culminated in a return to skis.

Happy Holidays
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime