Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need a family truckster

So while I'm wondering if my mid life crisis sports car purchase is going to make winter a hassle (duh ) I'm also already seeing the problems that come with gear transport and homeowner duties. The other minor thing that I see about to crop up is teaching our just about 16 year old twins to drive with 2 manual tranny cars in the driveway that they aren't tall enough to reach the bottom of the clutch stroke. I kinda knew it was gonna happen so I'm not bummed at all but finding a decent truck at a good price is harder than I expected. Anything in the right range (~$3k) is pretty much a rustbucket or has issues I don't want to deal with. I'm thinking Durango/4Runner/Dodge or Chevy Quad Cab pickups and similar. Today I stumbled on a completely rust free 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited with one of the V8's. I'm gonna get a closer look at it in the daylight tomorrow and get it over to my mechanic for a looksee but is there anything specific I should be looking for? Is there somewhere on the truck it tells me or are there distinguishing characteristics of the different engines that can help me tell which one it is, there were 3 that year apparently - a 4.7, 5.2 and 5.9 - and there were also a couple of different diff and tc options. The dealer who has it on consignment doesn't know much about it so I want to do some homework before I go back. The thing sounds fantastic and has a just about new exhaust as well as being dinner plate clean underneath, really surprising for 185,000 miles.

Thanks kidz.

mix in a paragraph homie

spat has driven a couple of those Grand Cherokees to the moon and back he's your man.

if you get the VIN just call any dealer they can tell you what engine it has

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ] 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited with one of the V8's. I'm gonna get a closer look at it in the daylight tomorrow and get it over to my mechanic for a looksee but is there anything specific I should be looking for? Is there somewhere on the truck it tells me or are there distinguishing characteristics of the different engines that can help me tell which one it is, there were 3 that year apparently - a 4.7, 5.2 and 5.9 - .
    The 4.7L V8 was not available in any of the ZJ Grand Cherokees, so you are looking at either the 5.2 (318) or 5.9 (360) motors. The 5.2 was far more common; the 5.9 was only in the Limited trim. IIRC, all ZJs with the 5.9 have a hood louver (vent) on each side of the hood.

All ZJs have marginal transmissions. YMMV and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The 4.7L V8 was not available in any of the ZJ Grand Cherokees, so you are looking at either the 5.2 (318) or 5.9 (360) motors. The 5.2 was far more common; the 5.9 was only in the Limited trim. IIRC, all ZJs with the 5.9 have a hood louver (vent) on each side of the hood.

All ZJs have marginal transmissions. YMMV and all that.
    You are correct. As a wee lad, I had the 5.9. It just never wanted to go slow. Ever. To drive 25pmh, I literally had to ride the break. I sold it before it became an issue but I remember hearing that they ate rear ends on a regular basis. You might interweb about a bit if you go with that monster of an engine.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    mix in a paragraph homie

splat has driven a couple of those Grand Cherokees to the moon and back he's your man.

if you get the VIN just call any dealer they can tell you what engine it has
    A couple of Saranac Porters and paragraphs go away. You know the drill

Paging Splat to the gray with gold pinstripe courtesy phone please.

ElChup is right about the vents so apparently it's a 5.2. Looking into assorted other issues before I go back in the morning.

Look for an older Honda crv.

Tl;dr
    Sell the sports car and get a G37x. Or whatever number they're up too. Or not. Whatever.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

jgb@etree Guest
    98 was the only year of the 5.9, and the 5.9's all have a tailgate badge and hood louvers. Chances are it's a 5.2, but in all honesty the best motor in the ZJ is the 4.0L six. It's fucking bombproof.

Usually if the transmission makes 125k, it's good. If they're gonna go, they *usually* go between 75k - 125k. Pay attention to the rear diff too. The ring & pinion is known to wear and need rebuilding every 75-100k. Not really a big deal, just something to be aware of. Best indicator is getting it up to highway speed, letting off the gas and coasting. If you hear a whining noise from the rear end as you coast, a rebuild is in the near future. Also check out the steering components in the front end. Worn steering stabilizer and other components can lead to 'death wobble'. It's the car equivalent of a tankslapper/headshake on a motorcycle.

Overall, they're great cars. I had 2 98's - a 5.9Ltd and a 4.0L TSI. I sold the 5.9 long ago, and AFAIK the TSI has been out with Splat for the past 3-4 years and is still running strong. Probably a decent choice in car for the kids.

Got a buddy who has had Wagoners/Cherokees since i have known him. Fairly impressed overall.

With a good roof rack, box and or trailer hitch it should haul everything you and family will need.
    Last edited by scottyb; 11-26-2014 at 08:07 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    Look for an older Honda crv.
    I knew you were going to say that. Too small. You'll see. Two teenagers need more room than what you're used to and hauling all the gear for a family outing necessitates more room and oomph than a mini ute has.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Tl;dr
    Sell the sports car and get a G37x. Or whatever number they're up too. Or not. Whatever.
    A sedan for a gear hauler? Sorry no go. Someday you will choose not to reply to things out of your league. I won't say creaky is right but...

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    98 was the only year of the 5.9, and the 5.9's all have a tailgate badge and hood louvers. Chances are it's a 5.2, but in all honesty the best motor in the ZJ is the 4.0L six. It's fucking bombproof.

Usually if the transmission makes 125k, it's good. If they're gonna go, they *usually* go between 75k - 125k. Pay attention to the rear diff too. The ring & pinion is known to wear and need rebuilding every 75-100k. Not really a big deal, just something to be aware of. Best indicator is getting it up to highway speed, letting off the gas and coasting. If you hear a whining noise from the rear end as you coast, a rebuild is in the near future. Also check out the steering components in the front end. Worn steering stabilizer and other components can lead to 'death wobble'. It's the car equivalent of a tankslapper/headshake on a motorcycle.

Overall, they're great cars. I had 2 98's - a 5.9Ltd and a 4.0L TSI. I sold the 5.9 long ago, and AFAIK the TSI has been out with Splat for the past 3-4 years and is still running strong. Probably a decent choice in car for the kids.
    Turns out it's a '97 but that's the kind of stuff I needed to hear. Thanks. BTW, how's things? Long time no see. Going to see Phil at the Cap on Friday, any chance you'll be there?

edit: Weird. Dealer says 97, no 5.9 or Hemi tag on the tailgate but it has the bigger wheels and the wood trim inside as well as the seats from the 5.9 Limited and most of the other body trim bits. Of course the weather has chosen not to cooperate and this is probably a bad day to ask to take a test drive.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 11-26-2014 at 07:18 AM.

jgb@etree Guest
    Turns out it's a '97 but that's the kind of stuff I needed to hear. Thanks. BTW, how's things? Long time no see. Going to see Phil at the Cap on Friday, any chance you'll be there?

edit: Weird. Dealer says 97, no 5.9 or Hemi tag on the tailgate but it has the bigger wheels and the wood trim inside as well as the seats from the 5.9 Limited and most of the other body trim bits. Of course the weather has chosen not to cooperate and this is probably a bad day to ask to take a test drive.
    If a 97, it definitely doesn't have a 5.9. It's gotta be the 318 Magnum if it's a v8 which is a pretty decent motor. They had lots of issues with valve sludge in the Dodges, but not so much on the Jeep side for some reason. Still might be worth the $10 to give it a good dose of seafoam before you change the oil for the 1st time. Most of the V8's in the ZJ in the Northeast tend to be in Limited trim, so you should get all of the bells and whistles that were available at that point. Jeep seats are amazingly comfortable, and you've definitely got lots of space to haul stuff. If it's got a sunroof, you might want to use a length of weed whacker line to clear them out. Clogged sunroof drains were really my only big gripe about the ZJ's.

It's definitely been too long - maybe we'll be able to catch up on Friday. I saw a poster on the train the other day with the lineup at the Cap and noticed Phil was going to be in town this weekend. We're not heading up to VT this weekend so if the evening still looks clear on Friday AM & I can score a ticket I'll be there. Haven't seen Phil in a few years. Hope all is well.

Whoa, hold up. Your 16yo boys can't push the clutch in all the way? Are they 4' tall?

4' 10", 90# girls. Nope can't reach all the way and see over the dashboard in my car, better in the wifes Outback but not right.

Took a ride in it this afternoon, nice truck with a few minor issues like would be expected in a 18 year old truck with high miles but nothing that can't be dealt with easily. It is the 5.2 and it runs great, couple of electrical gremlins that are being chased as I write this, turns out my mechanic is also the one this dealer uses, hopefully he calls me and says go because I like the thing. Trying not to get emotionally involved but I like the no rust thing, tough to find around here.

Given the target price in the other thread, have you considered a new Cayenne?

You think you hate it now....wait till you drive it!

If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Haha that's exactly the kind of usefulness I need (and I'm sure my wife would agree to strapping my mom to the roof) but add 4WD.

Maz, yeah I gave those some thought but I can't bring myself to have any suv as a dd again. Been there done that. I think a truck should be just that, a truck. Beat it up, use it up then throw it out.

An old grand cherokee has more space than a crv? I believe an 03-06 crv would easily have as much room. Definitely has more room than my old cherokee.

How bout a used pilot?

Come on now...you know you want this:

Or this, flames optional, I lud my lifted Thoe. It never failed to get me, my gear and friends to the goods.

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    An old grand cherokee has more space than a crv? I believe an 03-06 crv would easily have as much room. Definitely has more room than my old cherokee.

How bout a used pilot?
    This weird thing you have for Hondas... You can keep loving them and that's great but car platforms and fwd based four wheel drive systems suck and when they're not in 4wd they are fwd and I won't ever buy a fwd rig again unless I must. Reality is Suburbans and Tahoes like Yeti and Scotty showed are really what I should be thinking but (for some reason) old Chevys in reasonable condition are too expensive. I just want a beater that's not a beater and can carry or tow a real load. There are some projects we need to do around the house next year and moving loads of gravel and assorted other heavy things just ain't happening with a light duty Honda. Something that can carry five people, two dogs and four bikes with the associated gear is what I'm looking for. At least with the Jeep it can handle the bikes on the back and a box up top and not hurt too much. These parameters also put the Durango right in the bullseye but they're all rusted, if you know of one that isn't point me towards it.

Reality is Suburbans and Tahoes like Yeti and Scotty showed are really what I should be thinking but (for some reason) old Chevys in reasonable condition are too expensive. I just want a beater that's not a beater and can carry or tow a real load. There are some projects we need to do around the house next year and moving loads of gravel and assorted other heavy things just ain't happening with a light duty Honda. Something that can carry five people, two dogs and four bikes with the associated gear is what I'm looking for. At least with the Jeep it can handle the bikes on the back and a box up top and not hurt too much. These parameters also put the Durango right in the bullseye but they're all rusted, if you know of one that isn't point me towards it.
    Why not a 4WD pickup, extended or crew cab? Pick your personal preference between the brands, if you have any particular loyalty to one or another.

Maybe buy one on a trip out west or south, and avoid the rust.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Why not a 4WD pickup,
    That's what I got my kid w/o the crew. Big, safe and no kids in the backseat to distract the driver.

Hugh Conway Guest
    how are they hiding the rust in those pictures?

Why do you guys care about rust so much? Is this a restoration project? Gonna put it in the show?