Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vodka

Vodka

Is there such a thing as good Vodka? I have this buddy who pretty much only drinks Vodka. He hosts on Sundays to watch the Pats, I don't know why when I leave there are people passed out, half eaten food, roaches and almost empty bud cans everywhere every Sunday. So we typically kick Football fun day off with me pouring blind taste tests of Vodka (disgusting) and he nails the more expensive Vodka every time even if he does not like the more expensive stuff as much. So because this kid has been a great host Id like to bring a bottle of Vodka on Sunday, but what kind do I buy? I all tastes the same to me.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I don't drink it, but my friend who does likes grey goose. (not cheap). Whenever we bring him a gift of alcohol, it's grey goose.

This is good stuff (their Gin is yummy too):

Bend Distillery

But don't take my word for it - check out these reviews (you can also check out other vodkas here)

Vodkaphiles

Just get him a few handles of 5 O'clock for the same price as one of those fancy bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Thank you
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

There's a spectrum. Bad vodka tastes like grainy rubbing alchol, amazing vodka tastes like water.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Or offer to help clean up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I can't last long enough to help clean up. They are still going strong when I go home.

Edit - I'm in my 30s and can't keep up any longer with those kids.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

After that last thread I've perm-a-switched to Luksusowa. It's $23 /handle and comes in glass, so you can be an alcoholic and not feel like one. In all seriousness, it's pretty good and I've switched from Stoli. Don't know about the niche stuff. Vodka is vodka for the most part. Tequila and Gin, that's a different story.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    There's a spectrum. Bad vodka tastes like grainy rubbing alchol, amazing vodka tastes like water.
    Heh. Many years ago, doing Wild Turkey shots with a buddy. His last one went down a little rough and he extends his hand for my glass of water. Except I was nursing a pint glass of Grey Goose, neat, as my chaser. It could have been straight out of Up in Smoke. You shoulda seen his face. FUCK, IT'S VODKA!!! I had to go top off my glass.

On the cheaper end of the scale...but not all the way to Wolfschmidt, Crystal Palace or Fleishman's, Seagram's and Smirnoff are both pretty clean tasting.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

this is widely accepted by the Russians as good Vodka

Seems to me like even the high end vodkas taste like *something*, unless they've had the crap filtered out of them. The low end ones just taste like burning.

That said, Peabody Jones vodka by Woodinville Whiskey Co. is damn good vodka, and about the only one that I'll drink neat anymore, but I don't think their distribution has gotten outside the PNW yet. Crater Lake is definitely a good cheap-ish choice that should be available everywhere, though.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Heh. Many years ago, doing Wild Turkey shots with a buddy. His last one went down a little rough and he extends his hand for my glass of water. Except I was nursing a pint glass of Grey Goose, neat, as my chaser. It could have been straight out of Up in Smoke. You shoulda seen his face. FUCK, IT'S VODKA!!! I had to go top off my glass.
    Had a friend with a drinking problem - was visiting his parents with him one morning (we're talking 8am) and I did the same thing, reached for his "glass of water". As I brought it to my lips I looked over at him and he gave me this look like don't you say ANYTHING. Puzzled I took a sip - straight vodka - a tumbler full at 8 am.

To me, almost all vodka tastes like rubbing alcohol. I own a liquor store and have had many tastings..... If you can find Rain organic cucumber lime vodka, try it. It has just enough flavor to knock that rubbing alcohol taste out, but not too much that it tastes overpowering. It's actually pleasant to drink.

I'm not a vodka guy. Tito's Vodka is pretty dam good though.

Any vodka, then oj.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Crater lake. Clean. Mixes well with everything.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Any vodka, then oj.

Hi white folks!!

Some good local Utah ones ironically. Five Wives Vodka, Salt City Vodka, Sugar house Distillery.. .all pretty decent

tried some of this the other day, not sure about it even being sold outside of vancouver, but it was great.

http://deepcovecraft.com/index_wp.php/spirits/

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I'm not a vodka guy. Tito's Vodka is pretty dam good though.
    +1 2345

I'm generally a Luksusowa drinker but my wife's uncle, who's coming for Thanksgiving and only drinks vodka, doesn't "like" Potato vodkas so I just picked up a handle of Titos.

General John Stark vodka. Made in NH!