Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Straws Suck!

off your knees Louie

Not sure if something happened around here to cause this, but I’ve noticed the last 3 restaurants I’ve been to did not automatically give me a straw, whereas I think they did in the past. Haven’t seen anything about a straw ban in the news. Anyway, I’m adjusting to it.

I guess it goes with the ban on single use plastic bags in stores around here. If you don’t bring your reusable bags with you, you have to pay 25cents to get one.

The county I live in enacted the "Plastic Bag Reduction Act" so it costs a nickel for a plastic bag at the store. Oddly under the act it still costs a nickel if you opt for paper bags. So it's just a tax.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The county I live in enacted the "Plastic Bag Reduction Act" so it costs a nickel for a plastic bag at the store. Oddly under the act it still costs a nickel if you opt for paper bags. So it's just a tax.
    Yeah, but we've been thru this before. Just bring a reusable bag and no nickels. They're just trying to reduce waste. You don't have an issue with that. The nickel is encouragement. Some folks need a push...or a dope slap as it may be.

Well if they called it the "Bag Reduction Act" I'd be cool with it but they're trying to blow smoke up my ass with the "plastic" business and I just won't have it, dammit!

OhFerChrisSakes

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Unfortunately, compostable plastics really only break down in commercial composting facilities where they are held at temps above 50* C for extended periods of time.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-waste-problem
    https://www.european-bioplastics.org...marine-litter/
    Which may be the case for the compostables at his place of work.

I spent years managing the food service at Google. We eliminated plastic straws well before this thread started. Did the same thing for my department at Stanford while there. Straws are stupid and wasteful. Strain is spot on for this topic. All the naysayers are just naysayers. Eliminating unnecessary garbage is always a net positive.

Anyway, compostables. Google began using them (containers and service wares) before there was a proper composting facility for them to go to. When I learned this, we worked with the cities of Mountain View, San Jose and Gilroy(?) to get our compostables collected and shipped to another nearby city while MV was building heir facility. Also worked on educating our customers on separating compostables from recyclables and garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    wouldnt a home compost pile, if tall and big enough produce enough heat/energy to rise above 50 degrees?
    Yes. I’ve composted potato starch forks in a back yard pile. And corn starch containers. As well as the ones that are a paper fiber sort. I think those are potato starch as well, but not sure. On all cases, they compost slower than green or dried vegetation.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    OMG. A nickel. That is cheap dude. You can’t buy shit for a nickel. Maybe get change, if you are lucky.

Just throw some bags in your car. Problem solved. Big Brother put in his place.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Garbage will still be in bags or 30 gal cans in bear boxes.
    We get enough snow here to crush a can even without a plow. A lot of folks around here don't have garages or room in their garage to store cans . Some don't have driveways. The recycling can has to be within so many feet of the road for the truck to pick it up--squarely within range of the plows. Imagine the plow coming by and the spray from the plow knocking your recycling all over your driveway and now you can't use your snow blower either.
    I think you are being optimistic about future snow fall. Based on the last decade, you cans would get crushed in less than 20% of years.

Yeah, well Ott, your part if the country is light years ahead of most other places. So refreshing to spend as much time there as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, well Ott, your part if the country is light years ahead of most other places. So refreshing to spend as much time there as I do.
    So this thread is not about you?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    On the subject of not thinking through ideas--defensible space. It's a good idea, sure. In my neighborhood there are a number of undeveloped lots, completely overgrown with brush and small trees, many next door to houses. Developed properties are required to maintain defensible space, undeveloped are not. What good is 100 feet of defensible space behind my house if 5 feet from my side property line there is an overgrown vacant lot?
    In Placer County you can call the county and they'll make your neighbor clean up their lot if it's within 100 feet of your house. I know, doesn't help you in Nevada County.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Which may be the case for the compostables at his place of work.

I spent years managing the food service at Google. We eliminated plastic straws well before this thread started. Did the same thing for my department at Stanford while there. Straws are stupid and wasteful. Strain is spot on for this topic. All the naysayers are just naysayers. Eliminating unnecessary garbage is always a net positive.

Anyway, compostables. Google began using them (containers and service wares) before there was a proper composting facility for them to go to. When I learned this, we worked with the cities of Mountain View, San Jose and Gilroy(?) to get our compostables collected and shipped to another nearby city while MV was building heir facility. Also worked on educating our customers on separating compostables from recyclables and garbage.
    nice to read this post. It amazes me that people cannot see how something that has a useful life to them in seconds stays around as trash forever.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    nice to read this post. It amazes me that people cannot see how something that has a useful life to them in seconds stays around as trash forever.
    Hey condoms are a good thing!

Back in the day we used to use PAPER straws. Only real issue that lead to plastic straws is the latter are better for piercing the perforated crosses on top of plastic lids.

Plastic lids? What about plastic lids anyway? If we're getting rid of plastic straws why stop there. Get rid of plastic lids too and say goodbye to your high end coffee sippy cups while driving.

Seriously though, paper straws would be fine for most purposes.

Another reason some really like straws is better for people with sensitive teeth who like cold drinks..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Good to see at a Marriott property